Building my Bugout Bag - Page 2

Building my Bugout Bag

This is a discussion on Building my Bugout Bag within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm planning on staying right here... Although I have recently purchased an enclosed trailer for moving food, weapons, and camping gear...we can move as a ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Building my Bugout Bag

Outside Of A Direct Hit...

I'm planning on staying right here...

Although I have recently purchased an enclosed trailer for moving food, weapons, and camping gear...we can move as a last resort!

If the SHTF for real, and one tries to travel...I believe grid lock will be a big problem. We are here for the duration...we have the supplies to last quite a while.

Food (could eat for months), water, gas & (generator), camping equipment (cooking, and toilet), and ammo...lots of ammo.
    We also have drawn up a plan of action with some neighbors...espically the one with a machine gun (he's a cop, and only two doors down)...our neighborhood WILL be secure.

Stay perpared...stay armed...stay safe...have a plan

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

We don't plan to travel far if we have to leave the immediate area but have a friend who lives about 40 miles away on the top of a mountain. That's our RV point in an emergency of any form where it is not possible to return to our house.
    Another thing we bought was the wind up radios that have a built in flashlight and emergency siren. They'll run for about 20 minutes on 30 seconds of winding. We'd obviously plan to stay in the house if possible. I saw a thread about preparing for the worst and a guy already had the plywood cut and ready to mount using sliding bolts onto his window frames - if you plan to stay put, you should plan on having everything you need to lock down your house before the SHTF - rather than join the sheeple at Home Depot trying to buy plywood and generators!

VIP Member
    Same here Ret. Florida has this little problem of Hurricanes and being surrounded by water on three sides. Main evacuation routes are all North-South and only 3 capable of holding large amounts of traffic: I-95, I-75 and the Turnpike. One accident and you can pretty much shut down one of them for good dropping your flow by one third.
    A Hurricane is a wide event as this picture shows:

This is Hurricane Wilma as it was leaving Florida last year. Hurricane-force winds (75 mph+) were centered between Palm Beach, Broward and Miami Dade and Tropical Storm winds can reach what is called the outer bands and I know all Keys felt it abd I don't know how far north it was felt. As you can see, the darn thing was as big as the whole state. Now imagine getting in your car and being stuck in a highway with that thing passing over you.
    Your best bet is to prepare your residence and yourself to survive. And contrary to what was tried to portray on TV, South Florida did pretty well after Wilma, a strong category 2 with microbursts of 120 mph.

Back to the BOB's, IMHO it must be designed under 2 basic considerations: Where you live and your health. Your location determines what kind of threat you might face and what might be available outside to help you or drag you down. I am a city dweller in South Florida, living in a house and I can only think right now that I might be evacduated by the police if there is some sort of chemical leak (including explosive gases or liquids) or if John Neighbor goes postal, takes his family hostage and SWAT need the area clean of civilians. Now, I also have a back that went through surgery so I won't be able to backpack 100 pounds of supplies, ammo and weapons so my choice of BOB is actually a small rollaway suitcase similar to this:

Now, to me is easier leave the area nad walk some distance rolling that thing than using a backpack... so I am lazy at heart, sue me

Fort the Short-Time City BOB, 2 days of the following:
    Light clothing, toilettries, water (2 liters), medications, cash, credit & debit cards, local map, some bars, crackers, spare shoes, spare Gun & ammo. IDs & important phone numbers (and scanned copies of everything on a thumb drive and hard copies), a poncho, portable am/fm radio and that pretty much covers it. You can always check into a hotel or crash at a frind's house and buy whatever else you need at a local store if things extend.
    I do have to add that my intial BOB is my everyday concealment vest where I carry wallet, some meds, lights, multitool, 2 knives, PDA with info (incluiding a First Aid guide), lighter & checkbook.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

PT-111

When you get your bag all packed up and you have a free day or two, I want you to try something. Get up and grab your bag. Head out the door and go some where and spend the day and night with your stuff. I bet you will find that there is something you forgot to add. This would be a great way to test your bag and see what else you need in it.
    There are 10 types of people in the world:
    Those who understand binary, and those that don't.

Not a bad idea Falkon. Thanks for the idea.

The research continues....
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Quote Originally Posted by PT-111 View Post
    Not a bad idea Falkon. Thanks for the idea.

The research continues....
    Don't forget the TP and baby wipes!
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

depending what kind of problem you are facing and how easy you burn....Sunscreen? If you have to be outside for a few days.

I know its not on the top of the list of importance, but I burn easy, with all the problems you would be facing, a bad sunburn wouldn't help any.

And/Or a really good hat to provide shade.

Thanks Pappy. I had not thought of sunscreen. But, my wife is a fair skinned red head and she burns easily.

Sunscreen added to the list.

Thanks again.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Here is my GHB (Get Home Bag) that I have in my car/trucks. It is an Eddie Bauer fanny pack that can also be thrown over a shoulder. It also has upper and lower compresion straps to help it hold it next to your body. Bare bones but it has what I need to go from work to home @20 miles.

MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

MNBurl- Do you mind editing in a list of what's in your pack. Some of the stuff is easy to see, but some of it is hard to tell what it is.
    Pax
    Tulsa, OK

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    Well, it looks to me like the following:
    40 oz water
    hot chocolate
    granola bars
    First aid kit
    Toilet Paper in ziplock baggie
    trash bags/paper in baggie
    Safety whistle with waterproof match storage and compass
    Multi-tool
    Pocket Knife
    GMRS Radios
    Batteries
    Nylon Cord
    Butane Lighter
    bug spray
    flashlight
    carabiner/quick link
    ibuprofin/aspirin
    emergency blanket
    screwdriver w/multiple bits
    playing cards

You need to add a sharpie or pencil and maybe some OC spray. Neither of those would add signifigant bulk or weight.

after 29 years on the job i don't need no bag. all i need is the gun in hand. the bag works well on tv and the movies.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Quote Originally Posted by Jchoo View Post
    Well, it looks to me like the following:
    40 oz water
    hot chocolate
    granola bars
    First aid kit
    Toilet Paper in ziplock baggie
    trash bags/paper in baggie
    Safety whistle with waterproof match storage and compass
    Multi-tool
    Pocket Knife
    GMRS Radios
    Batteries
    Nylon Cord
    Butane Lighter
    bug spray
    flashlight
    carabiner/quick link
    ibuprofin/aspirin
    emergency blanket
    screwdriver w/multiple bits
    playing cards

You need to add a sharpie or pencil and maybe some OC spray. Neither of those would add signifigant bulk or weight.
    Very good list. 100% right for what you can see.
    Plus
    Couple kitchen and full size bags
    5 tea candles
    Sun screen lotion

I have added the following:
    Small Fishing kit
    Paracord
    22LR 50 rounds
    9mm 50 rounds
    Small Sewing kit
    Small black sharpie felt pen

OC is on me all the time!

I also have a winter kit thats an add-on to this in each car/truck.
    MNBurl

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    Love those sharpies. I picked up a pack of the key-ring ones, so I never have to worry about being without one. My wife dragged me into one of the big craft stores (payback for taking her through Bed Bath and Beyond to scavenge new cooking toys... so sue me, I love Food Network :chillicool:) and I noticed that they sold the little Sharpies loose in a basket at the register. They had them in all kinds of colors, with both the normal fine felt tip as well as the metal reinforced ultra fine tips.

i think a hand held HAM/CB radio would be nice.

anyone have any suggestions?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links