Building my Bugout Bag - Page 3

Building my Bugout Bag

This is a discussion on Building my Bugout Bag within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Our short to medium range plans are thus: We'll be hanging on in South Florida for the next two years it seems at this point. ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Building my Bugout Bag

Our short to medium range plans are thus:

We'll be hanging on in South Florida for the next two years it seems at this point. Waiting for a more favorable housing market and to pay off some debts while we're at the upper end of the teachers pay scale.

Then we are planning a move to Seminole County for a few years to be close to my wife's dad (in his mid 80s, now) When we lose HIM, we'll probably move to North Carolina. The real trap in Florida is in the extreme south. Monroe and Dade counties. You get stuck in a survival situation down there, you'd BEST be ready to "shelter in place" because the there are only a few main roads out of town. If the government found it necessary to control egress or access, it'd be very easy to cut those choke points. There would be only one hope to get out of the AO (Area of Operations).

You'd have to know the area extremely well and have not only up to date maps, but have previously reconned the route and have a world class 4x4. I am pretty sure it could be done to navigate off road or just off road to get around the choke points and up to a section of the state with enough in the way of secondary or tertiary roads to get to your destination.

You'd have to have the moxie, the equipment and the firepower to handle the inevitable riffraff looking to take advantage of the lawless situation. A revival of the "Highwayman" concept if you will. Think "KATRINA."

This is my dream ride:

http://www.sportsmobile.com/4_4x4sports.html

Check out the streaming video and the picture gallery on this thing! It comes in a diesel with an available auxillary gas tank that can extend the range to over 1100 miles on one fill-up. Plus you can extend your range even further with exterior mounted 5 gal fuel cans (four to the rack) At 20mpg, that's an additional 400 miles in range.

Properly set up, one of these will equal H1 for 4x4 prowess and you can literally live in it. Has a porta potty, shower, generator AND solar power, you can even get a 15 year mortgage and deduct the interest as a second home. It has RV insurance which is less than normal car insurance.

They are CUSTOM made to order. And not too bad, either considering what you get: $70-$85K LOADED. Less than a BMW or high end Mercedes and a heckuva lot more versatile.

When I say custom made, if you like you can build hidden compartments into the thing for the storage of firepower that is still rapidly accessible. I'm carefully planning mine. They also make a custom trailer with matching wheels and tires to your specs and there is a reticulating hitch so that it will trail along with you off road without any problems.

All in all, I'd hate to have to try and make such a venture but if the factors were things like fallout or some other form of debacle that would make staying put a real struggle for survival, I'd only attempt it with the proper equipment.

My BOB is a jumbo versipack from http://www.maxpedition.com Color tan makes it seem like a rather benign "man-purse" some granola crunching liberal would tote around San Francisco. But it'll hold my full size H&K USP 45 WITH the gunlight attached and five sp mags and it'll do it with ease. Plus other survival items.

Then there is my long term survival list and mindset prep essay:

With the threat of catastrophic terror attacks on US soil, the below is a list of actions to take and supplies to have on hand to help us survive the next hit.

Pre Event Actions:

1. Learn about the natural disasters that could occur in your community from your local emergency management office or American Red Cross chapter. Learn whether hazardous materials are produced, stored or transported near your area. Learn about possible consequences of deliberate acts of terror. Ask how to prepare for each potential emergency and how to respond.

2. Talk with employers and school officials about their emergency response plans.

3. Talk with your household about potential emergencies and how to respond to each. Talk about what you would need to do in an evacuation. If someone in the family has a critical job, expect them to be gone.

4. Plan how your household would stay in contact if you were separated. Identify two meeting places: the first should be near your home—in case of fire, perhaps a tree or a telephone pole; the second should be away from your neighborhood in case you cannot return home.

5. Pick a friend or relative who lives out of the area for household members to call to say they are okay.

6. Draw a floor plan of your home. Mark two escape routes from each room.

7. Post emergency telephone numbers by telephones. Teach children how and when to call 911.

8. Make sure everyone in your household knows how and when to shut off water, gas, and electricity at the main switches. Consult with your local utilities if you have questions.

9. Take a first aid and CPR class. Local American Red Cross chapters can provide information. Official certification by the American Red Cross provides “good Samaritan” law protection for those giving first aid.

10. Reduce the economic impact of disaster on your property and your household’s health and financial well-being:

Review property insurance policies before disaster strikes – make sure policies are current and be certain they meet your needs (type of coverage, amount of coverage, and hazards covered – flood, earthquake, etc.)

Protect your household’s financial well-being before a disaster strikes— review life insurance policies and consider saving money in an “emergency” savings account that could be used in any crisis. It is advisable to keep a small amount of cash or traveler’s checks at home in a safe place where you can quickly gain access to it in case of an evacuation.

Be certain that health insurance policies are current and meet the needs of your household.

11. Consider ways to help neighbors who may need special assistance, such as the elderly or the disabled.

12. Make arrangements for pets. Pets are not allowed in public shelters. Service animals for those who depend on them are allowed.

13. Ensure all immunizations are up-to-date. If we are hit with true mass causality event, the bodies may lie around for days or weeks. Rotting corpses will cause disease outbreaks.

14. If you have a disability or special need, you may have to take additional steps to protect yourself and your household in an emergency. If you know of friends or neighbors with special needs, help them with these extra precautions. Hearing impaired may need to make special arrangements to receive warning. Mobility impaired may need assistance in getting to a shelter. Households with a single working parent may need help from others both in planning for disasters and during an emergency. People without vehicles may need to make arrangements for transportation. People with special dietary needs should have an adequate emergency food supply. Find out about special assistance that may be available in your community. Register with the office of emergency services or fire department for assistance, so needed help can be provided quickly in an emergency.

15. Create a network of neighbors, relatives, friends and co-workers to aid you in an emergency. Discuss your needs and make sure they know how to operate necessary equipment.

16. If you are mobility impaired and live or work in a high-rise building, have an escape chair. If you live in an apartment building, ask the management to mark accessible exits clearly and to make arrangements to help you evacuate the building. Keep extra wheelchair batteries, oxygen, catheters, medication, food for guide or hearing-ear dogs, or other items you might need. Also, keep a list of the type and serial numbers of medical devices you need.

17. Those who are not disabled should learn who in their neighborhood or building is disabled so that they may assist them during emergencies. If you are a care-giver for a person with special needs, make sure you have a plan to communicate if an emergency occurs.

Preparedness Overview:

You may need to survive on your own for three days or more. This means having your own water, food and emergency supplies. Try using backpacks or duffel bags to keep the supplies together. Assembling the supplies you might need following a disaster is an important part of your disaster plan. You should prepare emergency supplies for the following situations:

A disaster supply kit with essential food, water, and supplies for at least three days—this kit should be kept in a designated place and be ready to “grab and go” in case you have to leave your home quickly because of a disaster, such as a flash flood or major chemical emergency. Make sure all household members know where the kit is kept.

Consider having additional supplies for sheltering or home confinement for up to four weeks.

You should also have a disaster supply kit at work. This should be in one container, ready to "grab and go" in case you have to evacuate the building. Remember to have a comfortable pair of shoes in case you need to walk long distances.

A car kit of emergency supplies, including food and water, to keep stored in your car at all times. This kit would also include flares, jumper cables, and seasonal supplies.

Stockpiling Water Safely

Stocking water reserves should be a top priority. Drinking water in emergency situations should not be rationed. Therefore, it is critical to store adequate amounts of water for your household. Individual needs vary, depending on age, physical condition, activity, diet, and climate. A normally active person needs at least two quarts of water daily just for drinking. Children, nursing mothers, and ill people need more. Very hot temperatures can double the amount of water needed. Because you will also need water for sanitary purposes and, possibly, for cooking, you should store at least one gallon of water per person per day.

Store water in thoroughly washed plastic, fiberglass or enamel-lined metal containers. Don't use containers that can break, such as glass bottles. Never use a container that has held toxic substances. Sound plastic containers, such as soft drink bottles, are best. You can also purchase food grade plastic buckets or drums. Containers for water should be rinsed with a diluted bleach solution (one part bleach to ten parts water) before use. Previously used bottles or other containers may be contaminated with microbes or chemicals. Do not rely on untested devices for decontaminating water.

If your water is treated commercially by a water utility, you do not need to treat water before storing it. Additional treatments of treated public water will not increase storage life. If you have a well or public water that has not been treated, follow the treatment instructions provided by your public health service or water provider. If you suspect that your well may be contaminated, contact your local or state health department or agriculture extension agent for specific advice.

Seal your water containers tightly, label them and store them in a cool, dark place. It is important to change stored water every six months.

Food:

If activity is reduced, healthy people can survive on half their usual food intake for an extended period or without any food for many days. Food, unlike water, may be rationed safely, except for children and pregnant women.

You don’t need to go out and buy unfamiliar foods to prepare an emergency food supply. You can use the canned foods, dry mixes and other staples on your cupboard shelves. Canned foods do not require cooking, water or special preparation. Be sure to include a manual can opener.

Keep canned foods in a dry place where the temperature is fairly cool. To protect boxed foods from pests and to extend their shelf life, store the food in tightly closed plastic or metal containers.

Replace items in your food supply every six months. Throw out any canned good that becomes swollen, dented, or corroded. Use foods before they go bad, and replace them with fresh supplies. Date each food item with a marker. Place new items at the back of the storage area and older ones in front.

Food items that you might consider including in your disaster supply kit include: ready-to-eat meats, fruits, and vegetables; canned or boxed juices, milk, and soup; high-energy foods like peanut butter, jelly, low-sodium crackers, granola bars, and trail mix; vitamins; foods for infants or persons on special diets; cookies, hard candy; instant coffee, cereals, and powdered milk.

Buy a box of MRE entrée’s – 72 packages of main course MRE meals and keep them at home. They will fee a familty of four for about a week. It’s no frills eating.

You may need to survive on your own after a disaster. Local officials and relief workers will be on the scene after a disaster, but they cannot reach everyone immediately. You could get help in hours, or it may take days. Basic services, such as electricity, gas, water, sewage treatment and telephones, may be cut off for days, even a week or longer. Or you may have to evacuate at a moment’s notice and take essentials with you.

You probably won’t have the opportunity to shop or search for the supplies you’ll need. Your household will cope best by preparing for disaster before it strikes.

First aid:
    Sterile adhesive bandages in assorted sizes
    Assorted sizes of safety pins
    Isopropyl alcohol
    Hydrogen peroxide
    Antibiotic ointment
    Latex gloves (2 pairs)
    Petroleum jelly
    2-inch and 4-inch sterile gauze pads (4-6 each size)
    Triangular bandages(3)
    2-inch and 3-inch sterile rolled bandages (3 rolls each)
    Cotton balls
    Scissors
    Tweezers
    Needle
    Moistened towelettes
    Antiseptic
    Thermometer
    Tongue depressor blades (2)
    Tube of petroleum jelly or other lubricant
    Sunscreen
    Aspirin
    Anti-diarrhea medication
    Antacid
    Tagamet
    Decongestant
    Cough Suppressant
    Space Blanket
    Mole Skin & Foam
    Epi-pin
    Snake Bite Kit

Tools:
    A portable, battery-powered radio and extra batteries
    Flashlight(3), extra bulbs(6) & batteries(12)
    Oil Lamps (Hurricane)
    Signal flare(6)
    Candles
    Matches
    Lighters
    Waterproof Matches
    Magnesium Fire Starter
    Paraffin
    Leather-man Tool(2)
    All Purpose Knife(2)
    Duct tape
    Scissors
    Plastic sheeting
    Whistle
    Small canister, A-B-C-type fire extinguisher(2)
    Compass(2)
    Work gloves (2)
    Paper, pens, and pencils
    Needles and thread (2)
    Wrist Watch
    Honing Stone & Oil
    Hatchet
    Shovel

Kitchen items:
    Manual can opener
    Mess kit
    Fork & Spoon
    Knife
    Frying Pan
    Pots
    Plastic Forks, Spoons, Knives
    Heavy Duty Paper Plates
    PUR Drinking Water System
    Extra filters for PUR Water Filter
    Water Bottles
    Propane Stove
    Propane Grill
    Extra Case(s) Propane
    Heavy Duty Tin Foil
    Trioxane Stove
    Trioxane Fuel
    Sterno Fuel
    ZipLoc bags (Lg & Sm)
    Cooler

Food:
    Vitamins
    Summer Sausage
    Beef Jerky
    Slim Jim
    Peanut Butter
    Hard Candy
    Freeze Dried Dinners
    Canned Veggies
    Canned Meats
    Canned Soups & Stews
    Bulk Flour
    Bulk Grains (Wheat, etc.)
    Coffee
    Tea
    Sugar
    Salt & Pepper

Water:
    (1 gal. per person per day)

Sanitation and hygiene items:
    Washcloth and towel
    Towelettes
    Soap
    Hand sanitizer
    Liquid detergent
    Tooth paste and toothbrushes
    Shampoo
    Deodorant
    Feminine Supplies
    Razor
    Shaving cream
    Lip balm
    Sunscreen
    Insect repellent
    Heavy-duty plastic garbage bags (to go potty in)
    Toilet paper
    Medium-sized plastic bucket with tight lid
    Disinfectant
    Chlorine bleach
    Shovel (for a latrine)

Documents:
    Personal identification
    Cash
    Emergency phone numbers
    Maps of the area

Misc:
    Extra pair of prescription glasses
    Candles
    Extra set of car & house keys
    Reading material, books, etc.
    Games for the kids

Clothing (no cotton):
    Heavy, Waterproof Boots
    Wool Socks
    Rain gear
    Hat w/ visor
    Gloves
    Sunglasses
    Capelin Pants (4)
    Wind pants
    Polypro Shirt (2)(short sleeve)
    Polortek Shirt (2)(Long sleeve)
    Polartek Pants (2)
    Polypro Boxers(5)
    Gortex/Thinsulate Parka
    Gortex/Thinsulate Bibs

Shelter:
    Sleeping bag
    Sleeping pad
    Tent
    Small Tarps
    Large Tarp
    Folding Chair
    Nylon Cord

Weapons: (my personal list)
    AR-15 (2), M1A set up for ultra long range, Garand with APIT ammo in the en bloc clips, H&K USP 45, Sig P245 and my wife's 1911 Combat Commander 45. Also a Ruger Super Single Six 22LR/22WMR & A Walther Target 22LR.

Ammo, except the .30-06, it's at least 1,000 rds each caliber but 2,000 5.56mm Also night vision, thermal heat "game finding unit" & a pro Ghillie Suit.

Remember, firearms are just tools and tools in the wrong hands are more of a liability than an asset. If you choose to arm yourself (and I highly recommend you do), GET SOME TRAINING on the safe handling and use of them. I myself am an NRA Certified Firearms Instructor and I used to teach Survival to my infantry troops with the assistance of my friends in the SpecOps community. Always a welcome resource!
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    Exsoldier, your list is inspiring. I can only hope that by the time I'll need such extensive resources, I'll actually have the means to acquire them.

i think a hand held HAM/CB radio would be nice.

anyone have any suggestions?
    I have owned and carried a Yaesu VX-5 ham for a few years. It's smaller than a pack of cigs. I can hit a repeater 80 miles away, and that repeater covers another 100 miles beyond that.

Quote Originally Posted by Shizzlemah View Post
    I have owned and carried a Yaesu VX-5 ham for a few years. It's smaller than a pack of cigs. I can hit a repeater 80 miles away, and that repeater covers another 100 miles beyond that.
    That is a really good idea. There's another one to add to the bag.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Just last night, I learned what a bugout bag is, and I'm going to start getting one together.

I won't go into the long and short of my personal opinion of what's going on in the world, but I think this is something every CCW person should have.

Not only for the state of HUMAN affairs, but for natural occurences as well. I live in earthquake and volcano country (WA), and having something like this would be very wise I'm now realizing.

One thing that led me to finally getting my CPL and carry gun is this recent power outage we had, when I felt very vulnerable. I don't want to go through that again. It'll be me, my varmints and my bugout bag. (Maybe I should make one for the varmints too... cats and ferret.)
    seattlekos
    "Live free or die." -- NH State Motto

Another Bug out bag convert! Welcome to the club Seattlekos.

I am putting mine together at this time. Still trying to find the perfect backpack style bag though. Still leaning towards a large A.L.I.C.E. pack but looking at some of the larger hiking packs.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

You might want to consider using gear that does not look millitary or paramillitary so as not to draw attention to yourself as you bug out. Using civillian backpack, or fanny pack might make you less of a target to those that did not prepare. Cool thread!

Lightbulb Tan Versi-Pak Rules!

Quote Originally Posted by duracles View Post
    You might want to consider using gear that does not look millitary or paramillitary so as not to draw attention to yourself as you bug out. Using civillian backpack, or fanny pack might make you less of a target to those that did not prepare. Cool thread!
    Precisely why I like the JUMBO VERSI-PAK in the color TAN.

http://www.maxpedition.com
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

I had not considered that. That is a very good suggestion. Thanks!
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

New package from S&W

Saw this at the SHOT show, and we're planning on getting a few at the gunshop. Here in central FL, we think they'll sell. Yes, I know it's got a Sigma in it .
    http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/w...02&isFirearm=Y

We've already got these in stock:
    http://www.mossberg.com/JIC.htm
    Although I like the stainless gun better, It looks like the knife and multi-tool are "Tiawan Tactical". Big negative on that for serious use.

As for me, I plan on being on duty during emergencies. Last few hurricanes, I was gone for days. Mostly my bag is to pack up stuff to live at work for a week or so. Don't plan on being at home, and we have tons of generators and supplies at the stations. Girlfriend works at a hospital, and if she's not on duty there, she's a part-time 911 dispatcher. Know she'll be at one of those places in an emergency. She likes her comfort a bit more than me, so she uses a big wheeled suitcase and an ALICE-type pack for her truck. I have a duffle bag for my car. Gun stuff stays separate, dont store ammo, etc in the bags, but have small range bags packed to add in. Otis cleaning kits and a bit of assorted small packs of gun chemicals too.

The S&W disaster case looks pretty nice. Even with the Sigma in it. I don't hate them....just don't love them either.

Not a bad idea.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsored Links