Building my Bugout Bag

Building my Bugout Bag

This is a discussion on Building my Bugout Bag within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; After reading and posting on the "SHTF Bag" thread I decided to start looking into putting together my own perfect Bugout bag. The thing is, ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Building my Bugout Bag

Building my Bugout Bag

After reading and posting on the "SHTF Bag" thread I decided to start looking into putting together my own perfect Bugout bag.
    The thing is, what kind of bag to use and what should go into it?

I have narrowed it down to either a large ALICE pack or a larger MOLLE backpack. Each holds tons of gear and will stand a lot of abuse.

Also, should I have more than one? I think so and if so, how many do I need?
    Do I need different bags for different possibile problems? Natural disaster, terrorist attack, something I have yet to think of?

I am going to put this together and I will try to keep you guys up to date on what I am coming up with. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

I have 3 different sized BOBs.

One is a medium sized fanny pack as a GHB (Get Home Bag). Good for a 20 to 50 mile hike.

Second is a medium sized backpack as day or two tripper BOB. Good for a 50 to 100 mile hike.

Last is a large backpack as a 3 to 5 day pack. This has a tent, sleeping bag, food, cooking stove and holds twice as much as the medium backpack. Good for 200+ mile hike.

I like stealth BOBs so no military bags for me but that is my choice.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

I'm pretty new to this site and I've posted some stuff. I was excited to come across this thread because I've been thinking of putting a bag like this together. In addition to putting my own specialized keep together (according to my needs) I've done a google search and found a ton of companies outfitting civilians for a variety of different disasters we (Americans) should prepare ourselves for.

Life Secure Emergency Solutions
    -and-
    Atlantis Survival, are two companies I found that provide kits for offices schools, personal use, etc.

I know a lot of people on this site might prefer building their personal "SHTF" pack but I know some office execs and, teachers, and so forth who freeze under pressure or are just overwhelmed when it comes to preparing for the worse. (Not to mention the people who would just rather turn a deaf ear to the happenings around us in the world today).

-Be Prepared
    -Be Self-sufficient
    -Defend your loved ones and yourself
    -Stay Safe

I forgot to mention that in addition to my "Bugout / SHTF" bag I also keep a Tactical Crossdraw Vest nearby. It has enough room for extra mags, GPS, NVG's, etc.

Here's a pic of what it looks like. The back of it is MOLLE compatible so adding a hydration pack or a similar type pack could be easily done.

Last edited by COWBOYF550; December 17th, 2006 at 02:25 AM.

Good advice guy's. I would also advise you on getting a tactical vest but would steer you in the direction to one that can hold balistic plates so you can have it ready to go in a flash and it will offer the protection as well. You can also use it for tactical classes you might take too so it's not just sitting there waiting to go on a bug out trip.

Ti.
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

http://maxpedition.com/product/product_bp_falcon2.htm

I use the FalKon 2. Great bag loads of room and has a spot for my gun.

There are 10 types of people in the world:
    Those who understand binary, and those that don't.

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    I've got three bags. Two are medium-sized backpacks with a pistol/mag each plus emergency stuff (one in the house, one in the truck), and a military bag that has enough to get established in a remote survival site. I have a tac vest, with mags, matches, compass, knife & flashlight hanging between the two bags. All bags have mags & ammo, and the military bag has a break-down fishing rod & 4"x4" tackle box and a riot shotgun. Who knows, I may have to take food for the long term.
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

http://www.72hours.org/go_bag.html

http://theprepared.com/index.php?opt...d=50&Itemid=52

http://www.nyc.gov/html/oem/html/rea...ed_gobag.shtml

http://www.amkdealer.com/d_login.asp

http://www.majorsurplusnsurvival.com...ategory_Code=9

The perfect kit is the one that addresses all your needs. You have to look at everything you need for basic survival and everyday life. Build a kit around the basic need such as water, food, shelter, and safety. After you have the basic needs covered then you can expand to suit your specific needs and how comfortable you want to be in a disaster. I have a 48 hour kit in each car, a 72 hour kit at work, and I try to keep my house stocked up on everything I need for about a week without city water or utilities. But the bug out bag I have is an internal frame backpack with everything I need to camp out for 72 hours. Everyone else in the house has a smaller 48 hour backpack that they have packed with everything they need for a two day backpacking trip. If you have done any extended hiking, backpacking, or camping you probably have some the gear you need already. You just have to put it all together and be prepared.

Senior Member Array AirForceShooter's Avatar
    Here in Florida we have pretty much given up on BoB's.
    If you have enough lead time all you have to do is get in your car and take a drive north. No Biggie.
    If you don't have enough lead time , like 4 or 5 days notice, you're not going anywhere. Go to the store, stock up on water and peanut butter and hunker down.
    If you're hit get the "you loot, we shoot" sign painted up and get together with your neighbors and Brandish. A Lot.
    Walk around with your mini-14 locked and loaded, and carry your sidearm openly exposed. Don't worry about LEO's they have better things to take care of.

AFS
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at

Walk around with your mini-14 locked and loaded, and carry your sidearm openly exposed. Don't worry about LEO's they have better things to take care of.

AFS
    That is unless you live in New Orleans!! (or NYC or the Windy City)

We all seen what happen in NO during Katrina. With the same mayor still running ruffshod, along with his glory hound COP, I think next time their might be alittle more resistance to their takeover.
    John
    XD40 Service
    S&W638 Airweight .38

Kahr CW9
    Hi-Point 995 Carbine

Quote Originally Posted by AirForceShooter View Post
    Here in Florida we have pretty much given up on BoB's.
    If you have enough lead time all you have to do is get in your car and take a drive north. No Biggie.
    If you don't have enough lead time , like 4 or 5 days notice, you're not going anywhere. Go to the store, stock up on water and peanut butter and hunker down.
    If you're hit get the "you loot, we shoot" sign painted up and get together with your neighbors and Brandish. A Lot.

AFS
    You might want to think about more than what if a hurricane comes. There are other reasons for a BOB.
    There are 10 types of people in the world:
    Those who understand binary, and those that don't.

we've been trying to put these together for our family - I have an emergency pack with water, emergency blanket, granola bars, first aid kit, pack of mini flares. Then we have the long term packs with sleeping bags, food and water for 3 days, rain ponchos to make shelters etc. The hard thing for us is we have a 2 year old and a 7 month old - babies need so much stuff and can't carry their share!
    I also have 12 extra gals of gas in the back of my truck and fill it on the way home if I get under half a tank. Obviously there's always extra ammo in all the packs and vehicles - and my CCW is always with me.

I'm glad I posted this thread. This is turning into a real good education on the B.O.B.

Still looking but I do see that there are many, many bags and packs on the market that will fill the bill. I am still leaning towards a back pack of some type. Something large enough to hold everything and be worn on the back.

I have a few Navy Seabags left over from my time in the US Navy a lifetime ago. They hold all kinds of stuff and have pretty good shoulder straps. That is one option. Maybe a second bag that I will have the 16 year old carry. He'd make a pretty good pack mule :).

I'll keep looking and thanks for all the great links to help with the search. When I am finished building my BOB I'll post pics and show everyone what I have come up with.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Speaking of posting pics of your BOB, anyone out there have any pics of their BOB to post? It might be a bit of an education for some of us.

Senior Member Array AirForceShooter's Avatar
    I lived in NYC for a whole lot of years.
    My weapons were very concealed.
    Here in fla the LEO's have a very different attitude about civilians carrying. Every one I've come in contact with has approved.
    And we did pass a law prohibiting civil authorities from taking our weaponms during a time of emergency.

AFS

AFS
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links