Nielson Device's???

Nielson Device's???

This is a discussion on Nielson Device's??? within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So i already have a suppressed .223. those are easy. I am now thinking about getting a suppressor for one of my pistols. I am ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By HotGuns
  • 1 Post By GlassWolf

Thread: Nielson Device's???

Distinguished Member Array DingBat's Avatar

Nielson Device's???

So i already have a suppressed .223. those are easy.

I am now thinking about getting a suppressor for one of my pistols. I am thinking one for .45 acp, as i have a Kimber rail gun and a Glock 21.

I am wondering about the "Nielson Device".

My understanding is that the 1911 *should* operate with just a normal "can" w/out a nielson.

My understanding is the greater "lock-up" of my Glock *requires* the Nielson Device.

Is this true? are there exceptions? Can someone explain this in more detail? Any recommendations on Nielson type suppressor? and as importantly, the barrel/s/?

I don't think i can afford a nielson type, so if i can only put one on my 1911, so be it, if i can get into a Nielson, i assume it will work on both, just fine?

Look at a a sileco oyspresy or a AAC tirant you can swap the piston out on thous for about any gun and even for 9/40/45/22/300 ( so you can used it on a 9mm glock or 45 glock etc ) subsonic and that is all you need screw on can with right piston and you are good I believe both have built in Nilson ish device . Also look at the mystic silencer( a lot even 30 carbine I think) not a 100% the maker but it can be used on a lot of calibers

By my undersanding as I been looking at the AAC tirant all you need to do is get a thread barrel and a piston that will fit and that is it . Ready to go .SilencerTalk ? View topic - Nielsen device / How does it work?

"Firearms utilizing the Browning tilting barrel design, during the cycle of operation, require that the barrel tilt upwards at the muzzle. The shorter the barrel, the more exaggerated the angle of the tilt. Putting weight on the muzzle end of the pistol is like adding weight to the end of a seesaw. The chamber end of the barrel locks into the slide and the weight of the silencer cams pressure upwards. When the pistol is fired with weight at the muzzle end, these types of handguns (including 1911s, Glocks, Sigs, M&Ps, and most popular brands/designs on the market) have trouble unlocking. If they do manage to successfully unlock, they will have trouble lifting the weight of the silencer and cycling properly. " from 20) What are boosters and Nielsen Devices?

So I think most silencer either have one built in or one that can be added . And do try to get a silencer you can take apart to clean esp if your shooting lead ammo

I strongly suggestd you look into this http://libertycans.net/mystic/ . I wish I had seen this back when I was looking for one it will fire all of these rounds throguh it

22 Hornet
    22 K Hornet
    218 Bee
    223 REM – 16″ BBL
    30 PPC – Subsonic
    30 Carbine
    32-20
    357 MAG
    221 Fireball
    32 S&W Long
    32 H&R Magnum
    9X18
    9X19 (Base Caliber)
    38 Super
    38 Special
    38 S&W
    357 Max – Subsonic
    338 Spectre
    300 BLK
    300 Whisper
    300/221
    308 Win- Subsonic
    all rimfire cartridges
    5.45x39MM Russian
    We now rate it for the 300 BLK in both supersonic and subsonic on an 8″ barrel
    7.62 X 39 MM
    FULL AUTO 300 BLACKOUT SUBSONIC AND SUPERSONIC.
    6.8spc

But even a AAV tirant will fired 9/45/40/22/300 subconic too or a oyspresy whic looks cool and may be easier to sight over http://www.silencershop.com/shop/silencerco-45osprey
    http://www.silencershop.com/shop/aac-ti-rant-45

interesting. you mention subsonics, something i haven't even thought about, so a nielson is still required with full-power loads even? i am really surprised about the caliber conversions. if the thru-bore is large enough to pass a .45 (perhaps .47?) then a 9mm(roughly .35, so maybe .38 thru-bore) that 9mm will have almost ten-thousandth's extra in the thru-bore to allow gas/noise/overpressure to escape. i always thought you wanted the thru-bore as tight as reasonably possible to contain the expanding gases, hence such critical alignment. i wonder if they have an over-large expansion chamber?

anyway, thanks for the info, i'll follow your links and see what i can learn.

Quote Originally Posted by Kavalander View Post
    interesting. you mention subsonics, something i haven't even thought about, so a nielson is still required with full-power loads even? i am really surprised about the caliber conversions. if the thru-bore is large enough to pass a .45 (perhaps .47?) then a 9mm(roughly .35, so maybe .38 thru-bore) that 9mm will have almost ten-thousandth's extra in the thru-bore to allow gas/noise/overpressure to escape. i always thought you wanted the thru-bore as tight as reasonably possible to contain the expanding gases, hence such critical alignment. i wonder if they have an over-large expansion chamber?

anyway, thanks for the info, i'll follow your links and see what i can learn.
    Again a dedicated caliber can will be more quite a lot of the time but when you firured in 200$ tax stamp and moths waits you will want more bang for your buck. You can fired most any load out of a can but anything that goes supersonci will be loader then a sub round ( a load crack) that is why 45 is good most of the rounds for it stay sub sonic so less worry on crack..

Also read up on dry verus wet shooting . Most cans will be quiter if you add water or gell too them . Some like the AAC and oyspresy are pretty quite even without water .

It is the same with rifle cans most 308 silencer will work with 223 etc . Might not be as quite but a nice options

Oh and also if you are going to do this I would do it soon they are talking about re working the NFA trust rount so that you will need a CLEO sign off and fingerpriting etc . Plus if you have a trust your wife or whoever can be on it and have the can in there person ( otherwise if you are not around and they have they are guilty of possing a class 3 weapon )

wow, good info. thanks. you always are a useful encyclopedia. didn't know about the changes to NFA rules. Though i already had to get LE approval, and give my prints to the man, to get my CCW. so if on one list, may as well be on em all. still a stinky pile of poo-poo though.

Senior Moderator
    Some guns will work without the Nielson and some wont.

My advice is to try the can on your gun. If it cycles well its good to go.

If it cycles sometimes and hangs up occasionally, put one on. It should eliminate it and make the gun function properly as long as the ammo is strong enough to function it. Not all subsonic ammo is the same.

i always thought you wanted the thru-bore as tight as reasonably possible to contain the expanding gases, hence such critical alignment. i wonder if they have an over-large expansion chamber?

Not exactly the case. Its a fact that some bullets will sound better through a more open chamber than one that is tight. There's a happy medium there. Most suppressor manufactures, (myself included) will make a can with the minimum sized holes that we thing will work. You shoot it, see how it sounds as then open up the baffles in small increments. At some point the can will be quieter with a particular size than other. You find the best size that is the quietest and go with it.

Lots of people are using 9MM cans on anything up to 9mm. There are a couple of newer designs of .45 cans out that sound pretty danged good with 9MM.
    Some 9MM cans sound great on .22's.

I'll try to put up a video of a 9MM Tirant being fired on a 22 if I can find it.
    WrongRecroom and Kavalander like this.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Distinguished Member Array GlassWolf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kavalander View Post
    So i already have a suppressed .223. those are easy.

I am now thinking about getting a suppressor for one of my pistols. I am thinking one for .45 acp, as i have a Kimber rail gun and a Glock 21.

I am wondering about the "Nielson Device".

My understanding is that the 1911 *should* operate with just a normal "can" w/out a nielson.

My understanding is the greater "lock-up" of my Glock *requires* the Nielson Device.

Is this true? are there exceptions? Can someone explain this in more detail? Any recommendations on Nielson type suppressor? and as importantly, the barrel/s/?

I don't think i can afford a nielson type, so if i can only put one on my 1911, so be it, if i can get into a Nielson, i assume it will work on both, just fine?
    Shadow Ops Weaponry Shadow Ops Weaponry has their SHDW45 .45ACP suppressor on sale right now. Comes with the .45ACP threaded Nielsen device (can swap it out for differenct calibers just by buying a different Nielsen device from them later) and retails for $599. Sale price is $300 with coupon code "SPARTA"
    You won't find a better suppressor for twice the money. 3-piece monocore design, suppresses sound -35 to -40dB

take a look at it here:
    Shadow Ops Weaponry. SHDW45 ACP Silencer

Tell Paul @ ShadowOps that Sean from SC sent you to him. I work as a regional sales rep for him.
    Kavalander likes this.
    I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Links