Fit 17 rounds in a 17 round magazine?

This is a discussion on Fit 17 rounds in a 17 round magazine? within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just bought a Beretta 92A1 that came with a 17 round magazine, but I can't seem to be able to squeeze 17 rounds into ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Fit 17 rounds in a 17 round magazine?

Fit 17 rounds in a 17 round magazine?

I just bought a Beretta 92A1 that came with a 17 round magazine, but I can't seem to be able to squeeze 17 rounds into the magazine. The most it will take is barely 16.

Is it me or is there a secret to getting it fully loaded?

BenGoodLuck likes this.
    It's Range Time!

2. Remove Ads

I would say let them sit loaded for a while to lossen the springs

Or if you need them now get a mag loader

or try mecgear mags for the 92 . I have 20 rounder that I could load by hand first time off
    BenGoodLuck likes this.

I have the PX4 with 17 round mags. The springs are very tight when new. Even after some use it's still a tight fit but I can do it now. Get an Uplula and you can get the 17th round in.

+1 for getting an uplula. A must have for those who actually shoot.

This is kind old school I guess and I imagine few do it anymore. But I routinely carry with one short in the mag. In years past it was done to aid reliability of feeding.

I dont guess there is much of reason nowadays to that practice but with me its just a habit thats hard to break.

As is being said load it up one short and run a couple of mags thru it or let it set for a few days. Then youll be able to get the last round in.
    glockman10mm likes this.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

It's you.... Just kidding.
    ex95B10 and BenGoodLuck like this.
    "A free man is he who does not fear to go to the end of his thought."

VIP Member
    I had one Glock mag that absolutely would not take a full load even after sitting loaded for a long time and being used on the range a lot. Finally, Gramps took out the spring and clipped off "a wee bit" and it's been fine ever since.

Probably not something that should be done by people who aren't sure what "a wee bit" is..........and definitely not until the other suggestions have been followed.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================

Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

I have a hard time getting the last round in my Glock mags when they're new, but a few times later they're fine.
    BenGoodLuck likes this.

New springs are tough!
    WrongRecroom and BenGoodLuck like this.

Distinguished Member Array GlassWolf's Avatar
    buy an UpLULA mag loader.
    I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost1958 View Post
    This is kind old school I guess and I imagine few do it anymore. But I routinely carry with one short in the mag. In years past it was done to aid reliability of feeding.

I dont guess there is much of reason nowadays to that practice but with me its just a habit thats hard to break.

As is being said load it up one short and run a couple of mags thru it or let it set for a few days. Then youll be able to get the last round in.
    I do the same thing. It may not really help, but I have used the same duty mags since 2000, and they still work fine. I never top off my mag, and carry my spares -1
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Distinguished Member Array Glock2201's Avatar
    +1 on the Uplula. It makes loading the mags much easier.

VIP Member
    I had the same problem with my Glock 30 magazines when they were brand new. I left them loaded for a few days with as many rounds as I could manage to squeeze in. I found that it became easier over time to add the remaining rounds, but the springs are still pretty tight. I had not heard of the Uplula, but plan to check it out.
    Ben

Cogito, ergo armatum sum. I think, therefore I am armed. (Don Mann, The Modern Day Gunslinger; the ultimate handgun training manual)

GH
    Did somebody mention an Uplula loader? lol.

I had the same problem with my M&P40C. I tried letting them sit loaded (with great difficulty) for a few days. But didn't notice any improvement. I finally got an Uplula loader (best $30 I've spent in a long time) & found that at the range with shooting a mag empty & reloading that after awhile I could get that last round in by hand easier. I've determined that loading & unloading & reloading does the trick. I still use the loader as it's much faster & saves valuable range time as well as my thumb. A few months ago I bought a couple of full size mags for use in the compact & immediately started loading them with the Uplula right from the start & now I can get all 15 rounds in them by hand if necessary. I've found that the first round should be loaded by hand & the rest with the loader. The follower can be scratched otherwise.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Warfare Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

Administrator
    Work on your grip strength (not trying to be a jerk, seriously), after a few loading and unloading it'll loosen up a bit anyway.

And excellent choice in a pistol- Beretta 92's are often over looked now a days, but they are excellent.
    WrongRecroom and the6shooter like this.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links