Lighter (BIC, Zippo ect)

Lighter (BIC, Zippo ect)

This is a discussion on Lighter (BIC, Zippo ect) within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; For a long time I have been wanting to add a lighter to my EDC. I have had my eye on carrying a Zippo. The ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Lighter (BIC, Zippo ect)

Lighter (BIC, Zippo ect)

For a long time I have been wanting to add a lighter to my EDC. I have had my eye on carrying a Zippo. The problem is I can’t find a reason to carry a lighter. I do not smoke and I have not real reason to have one on my person. I put a Zippo emergency fire starter in my glove box just in case I have to start a fire.

So my question is what do you carry a lighter for being a non smoker?

Besides carrying it for birthday candles and stuff like that I have no clue. Please help me with this EDC road block.
    “Do you have any idea how hard it would be to live with yourself if your loved ones were attacked and killed, and you had to stand there helplessly because you were unprepared for that day?”

Ricardo

I just carry a disposable bic for general use, as well as a little plastic pocket torch for lighting cigars (all in a little bookbag/backpack I usually have with me). I can singe line, burn off threads, light up barbeques, whatever.

I've got a bunch of Zippos, but don't carry them. They always leak on me, when in a pocket, and give me a chemical burn from the kerosene. That sucks. Plus, no good for cigars, unless you like the taste of lighter fuel.
    squid86 and grouse like this.
    How about a little fire, Scarecrow?

Quote Originally Posted by bembry View Post
    I just carry a disposable bic for general use, as well as a little plastic pocket torch for lighting cigars (all in a little bookbag/backpack I usually have with me). I can singe line, burn off threads, light up barbeques, whatever.

I've got a bunch of Zippos, but don't carry them. They always leak on me, when in a pocket, and give me a chemical burn from the kerosene. That sucks. Plus, no good for cigars, unless you like the taste of lighter fuel.
    Ditto on the Zippos. Get the Bic. Even if you never use it, it is there and it is cheap.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================

Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

Administrator
    I do, but only because it allows me to use it as a tool to build a report with a suspect. Zippos are awesome, and I love mine for the nostalgia of it- however I caution you against carrying one for your stated purpose. If you do not use it often or maintain it, it will dry out and leave you fireless. I think a plain old Bic from the gas station will serve your purpose better.
    Rock and Glock and Taurahe like this.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I carry a bic in my BOB. I don't carry it on my person; I have a hard enough time finding a place for a gun or two, a spare mag or two, a cell phone, keys, wallet, and a knife.
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

VIP Member
    NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Take up cigar smoking. Wait are we supposed to encourage that? or discourage it?
    grouse, Stoveman and squid86 like this.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Administrator
    Go to YouTube.

Search~~~~~> ZIPPO TRICKS

There is your reason to carry one even if you do not smoke.
    Rock and Glock, squid86 and SIXTO like this.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

VIP Member
    I'll add that you can't always count on the Bic to work. When they get wet you have to blow on the wheel a bunch before it will spark. In extreme cold the butane won't vaporize. Tried it in the cold this past week and a no go. Had to cradle the cold lighter in my fist for several minutes first.

Otherwise they are great to have around and currently TSA compliant.
    5lima30ret likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by bembry View Post
    I just carry a disposable bic for general use ...

I've got a bunch of Zippos, but don't carry them. They always leak on me ...
    Interesting. I've always had those disposable Bic units around, but they always leak on me. I've been considering "upgrading" to the Zippo instead. Might need to go back to "proper" (ie, 70yr old) Zippos to cure the problem.

"Got a light, Mac?"
    "Got a leak, actually. Sorry, bub."

Ah, the worries we have.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

So my question is what do you carry a lighter for being a non smoker?
    To start fires
    Badey, SIXTO, msgt/ret and 1 others like this.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    To start fires
    Good point. They are fire starters, after all. Not just "cigarette lighters."
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    I carry Zippos with a butane insert.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

I would say for a bug out bag a zippo with a can of fuels and bunch of wicks is a great thing ( plus spare fuel for other things) but general used I would say ya old zippo is just fin and dandy

Course I would go with somthing like this for as well ( storm proof jet fire lighters) azen-lighter3.jpg

Distinguished Member Array grouse's Avatar
    Zippo's always win the cool factor,however SIXTO is right Zippo's will dry out in short order if not maintained, in other word ya gota fill'em with lighter fluid every couple of days & if you over fill'em they will burn your leg!

If your travels take you over 8000 feet or 0 degree temps then nothing but nothing will best a Zippo! But remember spare flints 3/4 can of lighter fluid ( a full can the fluid will expand & get all over everthing at allitude). But for everyday carry in normal conditions buy some Bic's. There cheap stash 'em in your glove box gear bags ect ect.

As stated before. The Zippos need to be refilled, even if you haven't used them. The Bics last forever. We used to have a basket of Bic lighters at work, especially during the crack epidemic. We would take them off the crackheads that we locked up. One of the junior guys would wipe them down with alcohol so we could use them without catching some sort of disease. The only bad thing about using a crackheads lighter is they have the flame set so high that you would burn your eye brows off if you lit a cigar or cig.---Sturgis
    S&W 64-4 38 cal
    S&W 640 38 cal
    Glock19 9mm
    S&W M&P 45C
    Mossberg 500
    NRA Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links