Console Vault for Truck

This is a discussion on Console Vault for Truck within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Does anyone have one of these? Chevrolet Silverado Floor Console: 2003 - 2006 If so, what's your impression? Does it use the existing screw holes ...

Thread: Console Vault for Truck

Console Vault for Truck

Does anyone have one of these?

Chevrolet Silverado Floor Console: 2003 - 2006

If so, what's your impression? Does it use the existing screw holes inside the console? If so, how many screws? Did you get the barrel lock or combo and your impression of either or both? I think the barrel lock would be more secure, but are there drawbacks I'm not considering? Advantages to the mechanical combo?

I have a safe mounted under my back seat, but I really would like to have this in the console. All I ever keep in my console is junk that I never use, so the junk could be somewhere else and I could use this convenient space to store stuff securely and handily.

I've been searching and can't find anything negative about them or any examples of fails, lock picks, etc. I've been eyeballing these for years and just need a little push over the edge from someone who has first hand knowledge of them. Thanks.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

2. Remove Ads

Tried one on my 08 Chev. The interior was so small I had about half inch clearance for my p229 to go in and out. They took it back no problem. You do loose some space as it is a box in a box. Great idea, wished it had worked out for my needs.

i have this one in my 2014 2500 dodge ram but you can alway go with the ones with the cable. Dodge Ram 1500 - 2500 Full Floor Console: 2013 - 2014 but I also carry a lot of money sometime and my gps, camera so this work for me.
    Glock 19 Gen 4, Glock 30s, Gen4 G27, Gen4 G29
    XDm .45 ACP 4.5
    Remington 870 Tactical Express 18'
    1972-2000 U.S Army Veteran, MSG

Here is my 2012 f150.

Had plans to bolt it down just haven't don't it yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Addictedhealer View Post
    Here is my 2012 f150.

Had plans to bolt it down just haven't don't it yet.
    I bought a Bulldog vault and returned it after I discovered I could do this:

Something about the lock shaft being made of plastic allows it to bend out enough the hook will slide off of the catch.

I performed this maneuver for the gun shop owner I bought it from and he gave me a full refund.

Got one in my '05 Chevy. I really like it, but the comment above about the interior being small is accurate. I fit a HK P30 or P2000 or HK45C in it just fine, but they don't lay flat. Muzzle of the gun angled into front corner with grip resting high at an angle towards the rear. Easy to grab still, but the gun is resting against metal, not the little carpet at the bottom.
    I access it at least twice a day, the combo lock is still very smooth after a couple years now.
    To me, it is much more secure than a lockbox with cable which could be stolen quickly. A thief would have to work to get the console vault out, likely destroying the console and/or the box.

It does use the existing screws inside the console. 4 screws as I recall it.

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    Does anyone have one of these?

Chevrolet Silverado Floor Console: 2003 - 2006

If so, what's your impression? Does it use the existing screw holes inside the console? If so, how many screws? Did you get the barrel lock or combo and your impression of either or both? I think the barrel lock would be more secure, but are there drawbacks I'm not considering? Advantages to the mechanical combo?

I have a safe mounted under my back seat, but I really would like to have this in the console. All I ever keep in my console is junk that I never use, so the junk could be somewhere else and I could use this convenient space to store stuff securely and handily.

I've been searching and can't find anything negative about them or any examples of fails, lock picks, etc. I've been eyeballing these for years and just need a little push over the edge from someone who has first hand knowledge of them. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    I bought a Bulldog vault and returned it after I discovered I could do this:

Something about the lock shaft being made of plastic allows it to bend out enough the hook will slide off of the catch.

I performed this maneuver for the gun shop owner I bought it from and he gave me a full refund.
    Wonder if that is the same for the keyed version. I basically got it for free with a Xmas gift card so it's not a total loss. I knew ahead if time it was gonna be impossible to break into but maybe a deterrent for armatures. They have to find it first.

My friend has one in his 2010 4runner. It's very nice.

I wish they made one for the 1996-2002 4runner, but they don't. They will tool one up if they get 20 commitments to buy one, but we couldn't get enough together on the forums.

I could go with the universal vault, but it would have to go in the back seat row. I like the cloak they have for it though!
    Universal Console Vault
    CC Gun: Springfield XD-S 9mm
    Other: Beretta Neos .22

Quote Originally Posted by Addictedhealer View Post
    Wonder if that is the same for the keyed version. I basically got it for free with a Xmas gift card so it's not a total loss. I knew ahead if time it was gonna be impossible to break into but maybe a deterrent for armatures. They have to find it first.
    Give it a try as above. It didn't take much effort at all with the other type. The lock being along the long side also gives more prying leverage.

Tuffy security has some good but limited vehicle options. I have a underseat drawer that fits under my wrangled seat it uses the bolts for the seats it's tough and roomy. I added some foam could easily put two maybe three ccw guns in it. I can't pry my wife out of her 05 durango and no one makes a console vault for an old durango. I guess I will have to try and hard mount a generic. I think it should be part of the cc law that you have to be able to secure your gun in a safe in your car. I live near Missouri and the local news station just ran a story about all the guns being stolen from cars.

My truck was ransacked in my driveway a few months ago. They didn't get anything except 1 quarter and 5 38 special range rounds I had in the console. No damage. I called the police and told them and they asked me about the gun. I responded it was in my pocket and that I don't leave a gun in the car. He told me that's the #1 place guns are stolen from. I have a safe mounted under my back seat, but it's not convenient for every day while at work storage.

Links