first time Froglube

This is a discussion on first time Froglube within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So I ordered the Froglube kit. I am planning on applying to some guns tonight. I've watched some youtube videos on applying, looked at froglube's ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: first time Froglube

first time Froglube

So I ordered the Froglube kit. I am planning on applying to some guns tonight. I've watched some youtube videos on applying, looked at froglube's web site, and read some comments on different forums.

Break gun down, use FL solvent to get old oils off
    Heat the parts with a hairdryer and apply FL
    Let sit for an hour
    wipe off with supplied microfiber towel

For anyone that has tried it, does that sound right? Are you happy with it? I have two guns that are brand new, Im wondering if I should start right away with FL or oil them up with hoppes for the first time at the range. What do y'all think?
    gatorbait51 likes this.

2. Remove Ads

Sounds about right, I was quite surprised at the amount of gunk FrogLube removed from what I thought was a cleaned and oiled firearm.
    I've only heard one person really disparage FrogLube and from their description they slathered it on an AR like it was just another lube and were surprised when the carrier evaporated during firing.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Greghan View Post
    For anyone that has tried it, does that sound right? Are you happy with it? I have two guns that are brand new, Im wondering if I should start right away with FL or oil them up with hoppes for the first time at the range. What do y'all think?
    yes, yes (love it) and start with FL on the new guns.
    Greghan and gatorbait51 like this.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Not rocket science. Clean gun, heat gun, apply FL and wait, wipe off excess. On a new, un-broken in firearm, I'd leave a bit of light excess on high-friction parts (Slide rails etc.) to begin with. Special kits are okay, but it cleans off just as well with a rag. You might clean again after heating as old oils will sweat out and a lot of these special products work better with all oils/lubricants removed.

I'm using it on a couple of my guns as an experiment, and it's performed well, but not at any "miracle" level. A can of 3-in-1 oil is a lot cheaper.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I like it a lot for my Glocks. Only issue I had was where my extractor got gummed up from excess paste. It had never been pulled out though and was I'm sure pretty dirty before I started using frog lube. I had ejection issues on 3 rounds out of about 60. Once I pulled it out and cleaned it up I was good to go.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    .....it's performed well, but not at any "miracle" level. A can of 3-in-1 oil is a lot cheaper.
    The best advice you'll get in this thread. Like many others, Froglube is mostly marketing. It works ok but not really all that well and not any better than a dozen others. There are many other choices that perform as well, and better, for a LOT less money.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Longstreet View Post
    The best advice you'll get in this thread. Like many others, Froglube is mostly marketing. It works ok but not really all that well and not any better than a dozen others. There are many other choices that perform as well, and better, for a LOT less money.
    Ribit, ribit...
    I've grown especially fond of EEZOX lately. Ballistol is another great alternative.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

I have used most out there, really like the frog lube smells great does not hurt wood grips. Cleans really well the longer you use it the easier your clean up will be an I shoot mostly revolvers really like it.

Hoppes #9, Breakfree CLP, and high temp bearing grease.

Im not anti frog lube, but dont see a reason to buy any. I MIGHT try it if the company gave me a jar of it, but then again, I might just give it to someone else who would be tickled to get it.

Quote Originally Posted by StormRhydr View Post
    .....and high temp bearing grease.
    Yep, of all the "gun" products (I think I've tried them all by now), my favorite is Slide Glide Lite (the red one.) Stays put better than the rest. However, Mobil 1 Synthetic Ball-Bearing Grease stays put just as well at 1/20 the cost.

Like any other industry, the gun industry has companies who create products that are hopelessly over-priced and glamourized by polished marketing. There's no shortage of buyers and most of these companies are doing pretty well with their gimmick. When you boil it all down, however, and get to what actually works the best, the winners for gun lubes are the ones that don't cost much. They also don't say "gun" anywhere on the label or in their advertising.
    gatorbait51 and 40Bob like this.

I'm mostly trying it due to my wife nagging me when I clean at the kitchen counter. She does not like the idea of hoppes around the kids. I love the smell of hoppes but I've been around it all my life. So trying minty fresh FL! Thank you for the tips!
    gatorbait51 and EdJean like this.

I have used it for a while and I like it. I do see a noticeable difference is cleaning ease, but its not of epic proportions... mostly powder just wipes right off more easily. It does not smell horrible which is perhaps the greatest advantage offered. Do others work as well, sure do. Do they cost less...yep. But nothing smells as nice
    EdJean, jenatron, Greghan and 1 others like this.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

First gun done, very easy to apply. Feels fantastic when done, hope it works at the range!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Greghan View Post
    First gun done, very easy to apply. Feels fantastic when done, hope it works at the range!
    It will work very well. Gramps has been using FL for a few months (several weeks?) now and finds that not only did the initial cleaning REALLY clean the guns, but subsequent cleanings have been ever so much easier with a lot less dirt of any kind built up. And he says it takes so little to do the job that the small jar will probably last for years.

Note: If we both shot a few hundred rounds a couple times a week the small jar wouldn't last "for years". But we don't shoot as much or as often as we used to.
    gatorbait51, Greghan and EdJean like this.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================

Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

Been using FL only on my wood and steel 1911 for just about a year now. No complaints, all good things to report. At the range, my pistol begins what I've come to term, "self lubing", as it warms up. Ease of cleaning experiences fall right in line with others' mentioned previously. Pretty cool. From what I've experienced, I see no reason to switch back to petroleum products.

“Pistols do not win wars, but they save the lives of the men who do. The noble 1911 is a mechanical marvel, whose ruggedness, dependability and ferocious power have comforted four issues of GIs, and which, unlike any other instrument you can name, is as much superior to its rivals as it was in 1917."
    -Col. Jeff Cooper, about the 1911 Pistol, January, 1968
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links