Home and Auto First Aid Kit

This is a discussion on Home and Auto First Aid Kit within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; All the good info on the SHTF Bag thread it has got me thinking more about disater prep. I will most likely NOT be bugging ...

Thread: Home and Auto First Aid Kit

All the good info on the SHTF Bag thread it has got me thinking more about disater prep. I will most likely NOT be bugging out but will be buggin IN. I live in a rural area on 4 acres and my efforts will be to retrieve my family and return there. Now one thing that I know I am woefully under prepared for is first aid. I have done some searching here but not found specifics. I want to put together a very good home kit and one for each of my vehicles. Anyone have a comprehensive list of core items for each? Or a link to a good site for this?

Thanks

Mark

VIP Member
    There are a lot of good kits out there. There's a bunch here. I have an REI Backpacker first aid kit that I keep in my vehicle, and their smaller Hiker model that I keep in my hiking backpack.

I added a small towel and some feminine pads, which are good to compress and soak up blood. I also added a CinchTight bandage. I added a CPR mask in with the kit I keep in my vehicle. I never know if I'll come across an incident where I'll need it.

I took into consideration my own specific needs, like adding extra disposable contact lenses. I'm near useless if I can't see.

Limit your kit to what you know how to use - there's no point in having a bunch of surgical tools if you don't know what you're doing with them.

I've taken basic first aid & CPR classes.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

I have a pretty comprehensive first aid kit...actually it's more like a huge plastic bin....but, I don't have a list of what's in it...There are bunches of places on the net with first aid kit contents...try searching for "survival" forums or take a look at the survival section of ar15.com
    I know I'm missing stuff here...and I don't know all of the drugs that my wife keeps in there since that's her field, not mine...but a partial list of our first aid bin.

BP Cuff
    stethoscope
    3M N95 masks
    ibuprofen
    acetaminophen
    asprin
    oxycodone
    iodine swabs
    suture kits
    surgical instrument kits
    surgical gloves
    nitrile gloves
    surgical scrub
    various skin "tapes"
    various bandages
    cloth diapers
    various syringes
    various im/iv medications that my wife knows more about than I do...can't really tell you what these are.
    cloth diapers
    hat
    hand warmers
    hand wash
    peroxide wipes
    fork spoon knife
    matches
    rubber bands
    ace bandages
    salt
    lighter
    water purification tabs
    scissors
    tweezers
    band-aids
    mre warmer
    first aid cream
    candle
    sugar
    plastic bags
    paper tape
    various gauzes
    flashlight
    epinephrine
    smaller "inner bag" filled with subset of this stuff to make it more portable
    and of course some water

would like to add some airway devices and...maybe someday when we are rich, and AED
    Last edited by raysheen; December 20th, 2006 at 12:10 PM.

My wife and I each have a Johnson & Johnson first aid kit in our cars. Nothing fancy, just what we picked up at Walgreen's. We replaced the useless plastic scissors with those small ones that look like barber's shears and added a few extra bandages, gauze pads, small sewing kits and butterfly closures, etc. That handles most of what we're likely to need away from home.

In the bag we normally use for overnight travel I keep a smaller version of the same kit (also J&J), handles stuff like small nicks and cuts, etc and the car kits are close by if we need something a bit more specialized.

In my fishing vest I keep a clamshell style hiker's kit with basic bandages, antibiotic cream and stuff like that. Since I don't fish like I use to anymore I've debated putting this one in my range bag instead. For things like 1911 hammer bite, minor abrasions and such it's a pretty handy kit to have along.

At home we've assembled a small, two tray, fishing tackle box (clearly marked first aid) with bandages, tapes, eye wash and anything else we can cram in there. It comes in pretty handy when the medicine chest's band-aids aren't quite up to the task.

All in all we keep our kits pretty simple but we keep multiples of them in case we're not able to access our main home kit. It may not be able to handle a life threatening wound but there's enough in there to (hopefully) keep us going until we can either get to a hospital or the EMTs arrive if needed.
    Jack

Adventure Medical Kits has basic to advanced first aid and survival kits. At the website they list the contents of each kit under “Supply List”- http://www.amkdealer.com/default.asp

a standard first aid kit from the store with a few additional items should suffice. Add more bandages, field dressings if you can - they're useful for quantifying how much blood someone has lost. when dresing starts to leak put another one on top (do not remove the original dressing). Each one holds 1/2 a pint.
    Tampons are good for plugging puncture wounds.
    A sharpie permanent marker. If you have a lot of casualties you can write on their foreheads important info like if you have administered morphine etc. so when other help arrives they can help quicker. You can also triage and prioritize that way.
    Plastic zip lock bags and more tape for "sucking chest wounds" (like gunshot wounds)

If someone has a "sucking chest wound" and cannot breathe as their lung is collapsed, use the plastic bag cut into a square about 6" x 6". Tape it in the top two corners and one of the bottom corners. When they breathe in it should seal the wound so that their chest cavity can draw air into the lungs when their diaphragm moves, and the loose corner will allow liquid to drain out of the chest cavity.

Senior Member Array Daddy Warcrimes's Avatar
    I have in my combat lifesaver bag:
    Shears
    tape
    gloves
    field dressings
    crevatts
    gause
    tylonol
    sudafed
    tape
    J-tubes (holds the airway open)
    IV tubing
    IV catheters
    iodine and alchohol wipes
    band-aids
    neosporin

My saline bags have expired and I'm having trouble replacing them. IVs are important for injuries with blood loss; also good for dehydration.

Atrophine should be included but not issued for training.

I can use the plastic wrapper from the field dressing for sucking chest wounds.
    "and suddenly I can not hold back my sword hand's anger"

DaddyWarcrimes.com

You Call THIS...A First Aid Kit?

Quote Originally Posted by raysheen View Post
    I have a pretty comprehensive first aid kit...actually it's more like a huge plastic bin....but, I don't have a list of what's in it...There are bunches of places on the net with first aid kit contents...try searching for "survival" forums or take a look at the survival section of ar15.com
    I know I'm missing stuff here...and I don't know all of the drugs that my wife keeps in there since that's her field, not mine...but a partial list of our first aid bin.

BP Cuff
    stethoscope
    3M N95 masks
    ibuprofen
    acetaminophen
    asprin
    oxycodone
    iodine swabs
    suture kits
    surgical instrument kits
    surgical gloves
    nitrile gloves
    surgical scrub
    various skin "tapes"
    various bandages
    cloth diapers
    various syringes
    various im/iv medications that my wife knows more about than I do...can't really tell you what these are.
    cloth diapers
    hat
    hand warmers
    hand wash
    peroxide wipes
    fork spoon knife
    matches
    rubber bands
    ace bandages
    salt
    lighter
    water purification tabs
    scissors
    tweezers
    band-aids
    mre warmer
    first aid cream
    candle
    sugar
    plastic bags
    paper tape
    various gauzes
    flashlight
    epinephrine
    smaller "inner bag" filled with subset of this stuff to make it more portable
    and of course some water

would like to add some airway devices and...maybe someday when we are rich, and AED
    You REALLY have a mini ER there...nice list...I think I can use it...

Thanks...

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I carry a pretty extensive first aid kit also. But i do not have a plan on how to deal with a problem I get once in a while, That is a kidney stone!!
    To close for missiles, switching to guns.

I am going to suggest something often overlooked. It doesn't have much to do with a First Aid kit, but it is just as important (if not more). Get some quality fire extinguishers. I've got more fire extinguishers than guns.

Just a thought.
    Beretta 92FS

Now This Is Good Thinking...

Quote Originally Posted by Tros View Post
    I am going to suggest something often overlooked. It doesn't have much to do with a First Aid kit, but it is just as important (if not more). Get some quality fire extinguishers. I've got more fire extinguishers than guns.

Just a thought.
    Very good point...

Also...after reading the above posts, the wife and I just got back from shopping for the ingredients to a homemade 'first aid kit'...

This thread got me movin'...

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Cheaper than Dirt has some very good surplus military first aid kits. www.cheaperthandirt.com

I think I saw some good one in my latest US Cavalry catalog too.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Sponsored Links