Looking for a small 8-12 gun safe, recommendations?

This is a discussion on Looking for a small 8-12 gun safe, recommendations? within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a large gun safe that is in the basement/family room. We live in an older house, and as much as I would rather ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Looking for a small 8-12 gun safe, recommendations?

I have a large gun safe that is in the basement/family room. We live in an older house, and as much as I would rather have it up in the bedroom, I don't want 800 pounds sitting on these 65 year old floors. So I am going to buy a smaller, lighter, safe that will hold 8 to 12 guns.

I am currently really looking at this Stack On safe. Some people don't care for Stack On but our big safe is a Stack On and I've had it for years now with no problems and I really like it.

I'd like to get any suggestions anyone has on here for other models to look at. Check out the link for the one I'm interested in and you'll get the idea of what I am looking for. Either fire resistant or not, I'll look at what ever anyone suggests.

Stack-On 10 Gun 5.96 Cu. ft. Combination Lock Security Safe-SS-10-MG-C-DS at The Home Depot
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

This one is slightly bigger but I think is better built. I personally would find something of better quality though.
    Glock 20sf, Sig P938

I'm in a similar situation; I ran out of room in the big safe but had neither the budget nor the 2nd floor space for a second heavy safe. I ended up with the Stack-On "14 gun" safe on sale at Bass Pro for about $170. It's a lot bigger inside than the one you're looking at, and with long guns it's not so much about room at the barrel end than at the buttstock end. So far with maybe 7 or 8 long guns in it, the floorspace is already starting to get crowded.

Any sort of security device is really just about slowing down the thief. Yes, the Stack On is a tin can compared to my Liberty safe, so I rearranged the population to put the high-value pieces in the big safe and the milsurps and some of the lesser .22s in the Stack On.
    pgrass101 likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Senior Moderator
    I have a stack on safe and a locker and I like them. I realize that they will never defeat a determined attempt to enter them, but they are good at keeping out my two boys and there friends.
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

When it comes to safes I always say go bigger than you think you need for two reasons 1.) come on were all gun guys, surely a few more guns will find their way into your collection 2.) When a manufacturer says how many guns their safe will hold, they are being a little too optimistic. some of the safes we sell at my work will say 20 gun but in reality you can fit roughly 15 in it. now if you have 20 marlin model 60's im sure they would fit in there just fine . Take a look at some of the Cannon Safari 20 and 24 gun safes, fire proof tested at 1200 degrees F for 30 minutes and the 20 gun can be found for around $450 and the 24 is usually around $500-$550. For what you're looking for I would say the 20 gun would be a great choice as a secondary safe
    "The best we can hope for concerning the people at large, is that they be properly armed."

This is larger than what you are looking for (it might come in other sizes), but I just ran into this style of safe last week. I would love to see one in person. The modular design has me really interested.
    Amazon.com: Snap Safe Super Titan Modular Fireproof Gun Safe Digital Lock: Sports & Outdoors

It is very good that You are looking for small guns. Small guns are also best for keep and safe.

Quote Originally Posted by yass100 View Post
    It is very good that You are looking for small guns. Small guns are also best for keep and safe.
    What?
    Caertaker likes this.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Stack On is a good brand, but it will have to be well secured into the floor & wall(s).

Stay far away from the "DIGITAL" locks, I have heard of too many horrible experiences with those.
    TN_Mike likes this.
    Retired State Trooper (40 long years) 8 years State Range Instructor - BS Degree- Justice, MS Degree- Criminology
    All forms of Gun Control are Unconstitutional / Illegal and beyond the scope of the US. Supreme Court.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one"- Luke 22:36

For money spent? Sentry
    How much difference is there between terrorism and tyranny?

I've offered this info before, and if you haven't seen it...bookmark it for future reference.
    Everything you would want to know about safes...quite extensive!

Gun Safe Buyers' Guide
    TN_Mike and DefConGun like this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by patri0t View Post
    Stack On is a good brand, but it will have to be well secured into the floor & wall(s).

Stay far away from the "DIGITAL" locks, I have heard of too many horrible experiences with those.
    I agree. I have a large Stack On and I really like it. It's a fire resistant model with a dial combo lock. I too have heard some less than favorable things about the digital locks and will be sticking with the dial combo.

Quote Originally Posted by RETSUPT99 View Post
    I've offered this info before, and if you haven't seen it...bookmark it for future reference.
    Everything you would want to know about safes...quite extensive!

Gun Safe Buyers' Guide
    Good info! Thanks!
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

The storage ratings on many of these safes are suitable only for zip guns. If you really need to contain 8-12 rifles you want a 24 gun safe. And they will still be in close quarters especially if you have scopes mounted, magazines installed, straps, etc.
    Parrisk likes this.

TRX
    Quote Originally Posted by rugerdude12 View Post
    go bigger than you think you need
    I waited and bought two small ones on sale. I can move them myself while they are empty. A larger safe would require hiring someone to do it for me.

If it says it is a 12 gun safe and you want to put 12 in it get a 16 gun safe. they are never what they seems.
    Better to save a bit longer and buy good than buy cheap. Do not waste your time on one that is not around 20-30 minutes fire proof .
    You do not need the the greatest name on the market. Research local sources then watch for real sales be ready to buy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links