TruGlo Brite Site TFO durability

This is a discussion on TruGlo Brite Site TFO durability within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I purchased a GP100 Wiley Clapp and it has a fiber optic site up front. I am so impressed with how easy it is to ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Hollow_point
  • 2 Post By TX expat

Thread: TruGlo Brite Site TFO durability

Distinguished Member Array fotomaker57's Avatar

TruGlo Brite Site TFO durability

I purchased a GP100 Wiley Clapp and it has a fiber optic site up front. I am so impressed with how easy it is to see and how quickly I can acquire it. I think I want to put some truglo Brite Sites on my Glock 23. What I would like to know, from those that been using them for a while, is how are they holding up on your carry guns?
    I have seen some posts about the tubes falling out and others saying they have had no problems. So now give the the full scoop my friends.
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

2. Remove Ads

I bought a set for my Sig a while ago. My brief experience was that they were amazing by daylight and good in darkness, but anything in between and they just vanished. I decided that I'd be better served in varied lighting with a set of Meprolights, so that's what's on there now. One note here is that I'm old enough to need reading glasses -- someone whose eyes still focus up close might have a different experience.

sent using CPIP (see RFC 1149)

Quote Originally Posted by JoePfeiffer View Post
    I bought a set for my Sig a while ago. My brief experience was that they were amazing by daylight and good in darkness, but anything in between and they just vanished. I decided that I'd be better served in varied lighting with a set of Meprolights, so that's what's on there now. One note here is that I'm old enough to need reading glasses -- someone whose eyes still focus up close might have a different experience.

I'm right there with you on the aging eyes. That's one of the reasons I'm considering the truGlo. Thanks for the info
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

I put a set on my G27. I think they are great for the price. What you lose in mid light transmission you gain by having a more robust sight.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon. Go big or stay on the porch.

So when you say mid light just what are we talking about? Low light in the house, twilight outside and how much do you loose? The front fiber optic on my Ruger works well in bright and low light.
    Thomas Jefferson

Low light in the house -- on the order of a nightstand light in the bedroom. I haven't tried a "straight" fiber optic in the house; one I looked at at my LGS (which has relatively low light levels; brighter than what I just described but not as bright as Walmart for instance) seemed brighter than the truglo.

Quote Originally Posted by JoePfeiffer View Post
    Low light in the house -- on the order of a nightstand light in the bedroom. I haven't tried a "straight" fiber optic in the house; one I looked at at my LGS (which has relatively low light levels; brighter than what I just described but not as bright as Walmart for instance) seemed brighter than the truglo.

Thanks that helps
    Thomas Jefferson

Ive had them on my g27 now for about 8 months and have had zero durability issues so far. I carry daily. I do agree that in low light they arent the best. That is the first thing I noticed about these sights. It doesnt bother me anymore now that I'm used to them. I'd buy another set again in a heartbeat. Only thing I wish is that I'd of gotten the yellow rear, front green instead of all green.
    crc123 likes this.

@ Hollow _ point
    Was thinking of buying the all green set. What's the issue with it? Saw Hickok 45 on YouTube. He uses the green and yellow...

Sent from my GT-I9190 using Tapatalk

VIP Member
    Yeah, they seem to be at their worst when you are in lower light conditions where the tritium isn't kicking in yet and the fiber optic doesn't have much light to gather into the tube (IMO the TFO fiber optic does not gather light as well as a true fiber optic only sight). Think of a dimly lit room in the evening; that'll give you a decent idea where they fall short. Of course, it's not impossible to aim because you should still have plenty of illumination to simply pick out the actual sight edges and aim that way. You simply don't get much in the way of bright colorful dots to aid you.

I had a set of TFOs on my previous carry pistol and I found them robust enough to take the daily sort of abuse that any EDC is probably going to be subjected to. I put a set of Ameriglo Pro Operators on my current EDC and I've been pretty happy with them. I didn't run them head to head, but I believe I get a little faster front sight acquisition with the Ameriglo sights.
    JoePfeiffer and Bad Bob like this.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

Quote Originally Posted by fotomaker57 View Post
    So when you say mid light just what are we talking about? Low light in the house, twilight outside and how much do you loose? The front fiber optic on my Ruger works well in bright and low light.
    In a lighted area, that does not have direct light on the lite pipes from overhead they are there but nothing to write home about (as with any other fiber optic site). In sunlight they are BRIGHT
    in darkness they are as bright as any night site I have used.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon. Go big or stay on the porch.

Quote Originally Posted by crc123 View Post
    @ Hollow _ point
    Was thinking of buying the all green set. What's the issue with it? Saw Hickok 45 on YouTube. He uses the green and yellow...

Sent from my GT-I9190 using Tapatalk
    Mainly because I think they would be a lot easier to destinguish the front dot in the dark. Under a high stress situation you should be able to line up your shot a little quicker.

Quote Originally Posted by Hollow_point View Post
    Mainly because I think they would be a lot easier to destinguish the front dot in the dark. Under a high stress situation you should be able to line up your shot a little quicker.
    Thanks for that.
    Something to think about...

Links