Which Night Sights for a Shield?

This is a discussion on Which Night Sights for a Shield? within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've been looking for a good set of night sights for my wife's Shield 9mm. I really like the Trijicon HD's that I ordered for ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By guitarzNgunz
  • 1 Post By RETSUPT99
  • 1 Post By tmoore912

Thread: Which Night Sights for a Shield?

I've been looking for a good set of night sights for my wife's Shield 9mm. I really like the Trijicon HD's that I ordered for my M&P 40c but unfortunately they don't currently make a model specific for the Shield yet. I know people have went ahead and used the model for the M&P but I don't like how they are too wide for the Shield so I'd like to get a set specific for the Shield.

So far I'm leaning toward the Ameriglo SW-251 they are very similar to the Trijicon HD's in the fact that they have the 3 dot tritium lamps and the Orange front paint although it's not photoluminescent like the HD's but highly visible nonetheless. And the Ameriglo's have a white outline around the rear tritium lamps which I'm not crazy about.

AmeriGlo Weapon Sights | Complete Sets

Are there any better options we should consider? What about the i-dot models by Ameriglo anyone have any experience with those? We're just so used to the 3 dot configuration I'm not sure how well we'd adapt to the 2 dot?

Thanks
    -gNg-
    Last edited by guitarzNgunz; February 8th, 2014 at 11:53 AM.
    Luke 22:36,38 Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.
    38 And they said, Lord, behold, here are two swords. And he said unto them, It is enough.

My opinion is if I need night sights it's too dark to identify what I'm shooting at, so I stopped putting them on my guns a while back.

But since that's not what you asked, I like the AmeriGlo and was never bothered by the outline.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

I got the ameriglo night sights for mine. Three dot, orange front. The inserts are made by trijicon.
    "If there is trouble, I stay here to help you. For your father -- for your father."

For night sights I have come to like a black rear with a night sight front. The front sight gives you a reference point for close range work...and at night most social situations will be up close and personal...so I have no need for a rear. I like ameriglo sights... specifically the SW433B set. It is on my short list after shooting a friends at the range.
    https://www.ameriglo.net/catalog/sig.../complete-sets
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

Quote Originally Posted by Taurahe View Post
    For night sights I have come to like a black rear with a night sight front. The front sight gives you a reference point for close range work...and at night most social situations will be up close and personal...so I have no need for a rear. I like ameriglo sights... specifically the SW433B set. It is on my short list after shooting a friends at the range.
    https://www.ameriglo.net/catalog/sig.../complete-sets
    I like those they look just like the Trijicon HD's for the M&P with the serrations on the rear sight to reduce glare which is nice. I wonder if the SW-433 for the Shield have the serrations as well?
    flintlock62 likes this.
    Luke 22:36,38 Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.
    38 And they said, Lord, behold, here are two swords. And he said unto them, It is enough.

yes they do ... if you go to the website and click the blue "i" it will bring up a picture of what they look like.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

J_B
    I went with Ameriglo pro glo orange front and 10-8 black rear.

Quote Originally Posted by Taurahe View Post
    yes they do ... if you go to the website and click the blue "i" it will bring up a picture of what they look like.
    Do you have the SW-433B on a Shield? I read that they don't fit the Shield. The model just under that model the SW-433 specific for the Shield don't show a picture when I click on it. I'll have to contact Ameriglo and see if they are a serrated rear like the SW-433B.

Thanks for pointing those out if they look like the model for the regular M&P I may get these for the Shield.

I just wish they had a model that had the front green tritium lamp with orange paint and a U notch serrated rear all black with two yellow tritium lamps. That in my opinion would be the perfect set of sights. Right now the closest set to that for the Shield is the SW-251 but I don't like the all 3 green lamps and the rear sight are outlined in white and not serrated. The SW-447 for the M&P are exactly what I'm looking for except no serrations on the rear sight, no U notch, and they won't fit the Shield. I spoke with Ameriglo and they stated that this year no sooner than August they plan on releasing an operator style rear with the black outlines around the tritium. So that's a step in the right direction at least. But no word on whether or not they are planning on yellow lamps on the rear for that model.

I just got the SW-433 for my wife's shield and they fit perfect and thinking of getting some for mine,my older eyes pick up that orange site pretty quick.

Quote Originally Posted by guitarzNgunz View Post
    Do you have the SW-433B on a Shield? I read that they don't fit the Shield. The model just under that model the SW-433 specific for the Shield don't show a picture when I click on it. I'll have to contact Ameriglo and see if they are a serrated rear like the SW-433B.

Thanks for pointing those out if they look like the model for the regular M&P I may get these for the Shield.

I just wish they had a model that had the front green tritium lamp with orange paint and a U notch serrated rear all black with two yellow tritium lamps. That in my opinion would be the perfect set of sights. Right now the closest set to that for the Shield is the SW-251 but I don't like the all 3 green lamps and the rear sight are outlined in white and not serrated. The SW-447 for the M&P are exactly what I'm looking for except no serrations on the rear sight, no U notch, and they won't fit the Shield. I spoke with Ameriglo and they stated that this year no sooner than August they plan on releasing an operator style rear with the black outlines around the tritium. So that's a step in the right direction at least. But no word on whether or not they are planning on yellow lamps on the rear for that model.

I've had the AmeriGlo Hackathorn on my Shield for over a year. Work well.

Most of my pistolas have all green Trijicon's...
    flintlock62 likes this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Senior Member Array flintlock62's Avatar
    My choice would be Trijicon HD with a yellow front sight. The yellow ring is photo luminescent with a tritium center. The purpose is to concentrate on the front sight, which is the acceptable method in tactical shooting. To me, the yellow contrasts with any background. Night sights can be used in total darkness, but is more intended for low light shooting. I scored top in my tactical training class (carry III), mainly because of my sights. I couldn't believe how well the sights worked. There were a few good shooters in the class. One of the best was a woman of slight build.

This is an aged thread, but I have AmeriGlo Hackathorn sights on mine. I do wish I had known about TruGlo TFOs before committing to them but I'm satisfied with my choice. Now I have TFOs on my full size M&P (awesome).

IMG_1542.JPG
    Here's a picture of my front Hackathorn sight in the dark.

Ameriglo I-Dot Pros on my Shield

guitarzNgunz likes this.
    GeorgiaCarry.org
    GPDO SAF NRA
    Let Not My Last Thought Be, If Only I Had My Gun.

Links