Range Kit - Ammo

This is a discussion on Range Kit - Ammo within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am starting to put together a range bag/kit that will be left in the trunk of my car. I am going to include ear ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Range Kit - Ammo

Range Kit - Ammo

I am starting to put together a range bag/kit that will be left in the trunk of my car. I am going to include ear and eye protection, small cleaning kit, first aid kit, a few tools, and a box of ammo.

Is it ok to leave a box of ammo in the range bag? This obviously will not be a climate controlled environment, but the ammo will also not be stored there for long term. The main reason I want to keep a little ammo is for the when a I get a spur of the moment chance to run to the range, or have a buddy call and want to meet at the range.

This is going to be for outdoor rage or woods on family property.

Also, what else are good items to throw into a range kit?

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Oh range bag sorry you had rage bag.

Anyways you pretty much have it covered might add a towel, wet wipes and a couple bottles of water. If you smoke or dip drop a pack or can in the bag. Nothing is worse than getting out to the range and being out of whatever.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

The "Rage Kit" would be useful when you get to the range and have no ammo.

As long as it's not long term there should be no issues with modern ammunition from a reputable manufacturer. Car trunk storage is usually acceptable for a short period. Remember, ammo usually travels in non climate controlled trucks so it's not temperature fragile.
    North Carolina Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection and Basic Pistol Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by tacman605 View Post
    Oh range bag sorry you had rage bag.

Anyways you pretty much have it covered might add a towel, wet wipes and a couple bottles of water. If you smoke or dip drop a pack or can in the bag. Nothing is worse than getting out to the range and being out of whatever.
    Thanks for catching my spelling error, it is now fixed.

You can leave your cleaning kit at home. As long as you clean your weapon “often”, there shouldn’t be a need to fieldstrip it on the range or in your car.
    "If you think education is expensive, try ignorance."
    Derek Bok

Beretta Px4 Storm Inox 9mm

I always take a pocket knife to the range as well. Never know when one may come in handy.
    NRA Member
    Criminology Student
    Expert in learning :)

You've listed most of what I keep in my range bag. I try to keep a snack of some kind, candy or granola bar, and a bottle of water. Targets, masking tape, and maybe a marker. If you are worried about humidity, you can keep the ammo in a ziplock bag with a silica pack.

I'll be the fun police. I keep (2) Hyfin Chest seals, 2-3 rolls of 4" gauze and a fire extinguisher handy when going to an outdoor range.

These are good to have just in your car in general, but when around guns and spark producing devices...they make good sense.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I keep a stapler in mine, as sometimes the one at range is missing, empty, or crumby.

Quote Originally Posted by rahmann62 View Post

This is going to be for outdoor rage or woods on family property.

Also, what else are good items to throw into a range kit?
    all good ideas from everyone and in mine I keep a snake bite kit too

Yes, stapler, masking tape, targets... if you have adjustable sights make sure your tool kit includes the right size screwdriver/bits.
    Seems like a good idea to me.

oops, missed the outdoor range part.
    My range bag has a pair of fencing pliers for nails and such. I'm sure they look out of place in an outside pocket the odd time I use an indoor range, but they come in handy at an outdoor range.

Also bring a long hard rod to push out james/squibs .. Trust me on that one .. Ditto a chamber light best way to see if the gun is trully clear ...

Also bring a bottle of cheep ear protection .. Thousand and one use .. You want to take a buddy at the last min etc.. Or the new shooters next you husband is shooting a 44mag and she looks pained then give hear a pair ( taken from calguns )

I mean heck a lot of ammo esp I have found s&b is laquer or the such sealed against bad weather ...

Also good idea in my book to throw a spare mag or two in as well and if needed a cheep loader if said mag is hard to load ..
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    I am not a lawyer .. Just a dog typing on the internet ..Spelling media apparatus male portatili. Malo me non reprehendo
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

I've kept ammo in my car year-round in New England winters and Arizona summers. I usually swap it for fresh stuff about every 6 months, but some has gone a lot longer - like a box of 5.56 I didn't know was in the 'deep storage' in the back of the old Volvo wagon. That had to be in there over 4 years, and it went bang just fine.

To your kit I would add a caliber-appropriate bore snake (fits real nice in a prescription pill bottle) and a small bottle of your favorite lube. Echoing others, a few packets of the cheapie foam earplugs are always good to have.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Thanks for the suggestions please keep them coming! I have extra ear plugs and safety glasses already added.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links