what red dot sight?

This is a discussion on what red dot sight? within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; OK, I have decided to take my newly aquired Ruger mk3 22/45 and turn it into a competition gun.... I have all the innards and ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: what red dot sight?

what red dot sight?

OK, I have decided to take my newly aquired Ruger mk3 22/45 and turn it into a competition gun.... I have all the innards and outers picked out except for one.... what red dots are you guys using? I have looked at the burris fast fire, the Bushnell First strike, the ultra dot LT and Pan AV, Millet M pulse, and the various sight mark options. Who uses these or another sight on their pistols...keep in mind this will end up a competition gun for shooting steel so I am looking for reflex style sights.... the big 30mm tubes just dont do it for me, and they look akward lol.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

2. Remove Ads

Would strongly recommend Leupold Delta Point 2, or TrIjicon RMR. AMERICAN made & worth the extra money. You are going to use this for competition. Don't scrimp! You get what you pay for. Sight mark is made in china. Bought one cause it was cheap; transition/to a good sight, I could get my hands on at the time, & yes it was cheap!

Quote Originally Posted by Pete63 View Post
    Would strongly recommend Leupold Delta Point 2, or TrIjicon RMR. AMERICAN made & worth the extra money. You are going to use this for competition. Don't scrimp! You get what you pay for. Sight mark is made in china. Bought one cause it was cheap; transition/to a good sight, I could get my hands on at the time, & yes it was cheap!
    As much as I would like an RMR or a delta point... I cannot justify spending more on the sight than I paid for the gun. Unless you have one you want to sell really cheap !
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Ah------No. But you're right for what I paid for my RMR. But, once again being a competition pistol, how long will you keep it, being a good rig, already. Long run, it pays for itself. And what about being able to stand up over time and getting banged around. The Sight Mark I've got wouldn't make it through the torture test I know they've already run on my RMR. I guess, buy the cheaper sight, run it for a season, and if it holds up, fine. Then you could be saving up for a better optic, if your other skills improve, and you stick with that rig. I just know, in the past, I have gone with cheaper optics, and always end up stepping up to some better.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete63 View Post
    Ah------No. But you're right for what I paid for my RMR. But, once again being a competition pistol, how long will you keep it, being a good rig, already. Long run, it pays for itself. And what about being able to stand up over time and getting banged around. The Sight Mark I've got wouldn't make it through the torture test I know they've already run on my RMR. I guess, buy the cheaper sight, run it for a season, and if it holds up, fine. Then you could be saving up for a better optic, if your other skills improve, and you stick with that rig. I just know, in the past, I have gone with cheaper optics, and always end up stepping up to some better.
    It never hurts to ask lol ! I think you make an excellent point but right now a delta point or an RMR is just not in the budget. I only plan on shooting local club steel matches and maybe some bowling pin shoots.... If it was something serious absolutely but its not. I most definitely agree with you on getting the best you can up front. I have never owned a sight mark but they didnt really impress me either. If I had to pick, the Ultra dots, the fast fire or the first strike would prob be my first picks.
    ~Daniel Webster

Yeah, I caught your drift on the "good deal". Can't give you any first hand info on the others on your list. Sorry. Maybe someone else will post, with first hand knowledge on those.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Taurahe View Post
    As much as I would like an RMR or a delta point... I cannot justify spending more on the sight than I paid for the gun. Unless you have one you want to sell really cheap !
    I would say you have arrived at an impasse, unless you buy a pricier gun.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Fast Fire.

I have a Fast Fire on my Mark III Hunter. It's better than the cheap Sightmark I had on it at first. Issue I have is the 4 moa dot size and parralex wth that type of sight. I'm picking up a Bushnell Elite 2-6x32 scope to put on it. I think for what I use it for, a regular type scope is going to work better for me. Maybe. Or it's going to be another $200 my wife gets to hound me about. YMMV

Distinguished Member Array GlassWolf's Avatar
    OK, I have decided to take my newly aquired Ruger mk3 22/45 and turn it into a competition gun.... I have all the innards and outers picked out except for one.... what red dots are you guys using? I have looked at the burris fast fire, the Bushnell First strike, the ultra dot LT and Pan AV, Millet M pulse, and the various sight mark options. Who uses these or another sight on their pistols...keep in mind this will end up a competition gun for shooting steel so I am looking for reflex style sights.... the big 30mm tubes just dont do it for me, and they look akward lol.
    Trijicon RMR
    I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Administrator
    You probably ought to loose that thought if you plan on going very far competing.
    Pete63 likes this.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    You probably ought to loose that thought if you plan on going very far competing.
    As I said.... it would be for club competition and nothing more... I am not going to shoot nationals match with it or go to the olympics. Its for the fun of it and the fun only.
    ~Daniel Webster

Administrator
    As I said.... it would be for club competition and nothing more... I am not going to shoot nationals match with it or go to the olympics. Its for the fun of it and the fun only.
    Fair enough, I'm just saying that optics are often more expensive than the gun, especially when talking rimfire. That said, there are some low cost decent options like the fastfire.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I wanted a red dot "just for the heck of it" so I went inexpensive. After the number of cheap-o RD sights I have burned thru I'd have been better served spending the $$$ upfront. Got a Barska 30mm round that was OK but looked too big. Gave it away. Bought a Tru-Glo that was flatter with just the raised screen (lens) in front. Red or green, 4 reticles 10 brightness. Not bad ... until it stopped working. Got a NcStar really small one I thought would be great. One shot and lens fell out!!! Returned for repair, one shot and lens fell out again. I mixed up some epoxy and it was a nasty looking fix but it should hold. Went to the range and couldn't find the dot on the lens. Tossed the entire package in the trash. Three out of 3 RD sights and the Tru-Glo was the best and lasted the longest (about a year). All these mounted on a Ruger MkIII Hunter fluted-barrel pistol.
    GlassWolf likes this.
    -- Robert
    NRA Life Member

If you decide to go the red dot route and want inexpensive but reliable, check out the Bushnell TRS-25. 3 moa dot and I think 11 levels of brightness. It holds zero well. I beat my 22/45 with a mallet to take it down and again to put it back together and it's still on.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links