Triarii Carbine Conversion for Glock

This is a discussion on Triarii Carbine Conversion for Glock within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi everyone. I've seen some discussion (generally negative) about the Roni conversion system. I've recently come across the Triarii carbine conversion system by HERA. Does ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Bad Bob
  • 1 Post By crc123

Thread: Triarii Carbine Conversion for Glock

Triarii Carbine Conversion for Glock

Hi everyone.

I've seen some discussion (generally negative) about the Roni conversion system.
    I've recently come across the Triarii carbine conversion system by HERA.

Does anyone have any experience with these?
    What are the differences, if any?

Further, to legally purchase any firearm in South Africa is very difficult. To get a proper carbine is even more so.
    Bearing that in mind, is there any benefit to using a carbine conversion system?

2. Remove Ads

I personal have not had any experience with either system .. Mostly as in the USA these make a handgun a Short barreled rifle and require a tax stamp more paper work and time and you can only use one handgun with it ( and it has to be engraved with your name ) ...

That all said remember the Roni was made for a market like yours ( Isreal ) where getting a rifle was near immopisble and this was the only option..

I would say to me personal this is nice as you have next to no recoil and a better sighting and more stable shooting platform .. This would make a good urban gun and close quarter weapon in my book ...

I would say if you can legal own and get this to do it and try it out ..

Pistol-Caliber Carbines | Shooting Illustrated

I would think this would make a sort of poor mans PDW .. Can you own silencers for handguns I know rifle ones are pretty easy to get over there how about handguns this with that stock be a pretty good survial close quator gun

Hopefully someone who runs these will be along soon ...
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    I am not a lawyer .. Just a dog typing on the internet ..Spelling media apparatus male portatili. Malo me non reprehendo
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

Thanks for the informative feedback.
    Regarding the silencers, if you know the right people, it's relatively easy to get one.
    However, at the moment I'm uncertain as to whether it is legal to own one. I remember reading in our Firearms Act that it was illegal but since then several shooters, including a gun dealer, have told me that it is legal just very difficult to obtain.
    So, basically, I need to do some homework on that.

Our biggest problems here are cost and availability...

Also, great link.

Quote Originally Posted by crc123 View Post
    Thanks for the informative feedback.
    Regarding the silencers, if you know the right people, it's relatively easy to get one.
    However, at the moment I'm uncertain as to whether it is legal to own one. I remember reading in our Firearms Act that it was illegal but since then several shooters, including a gun dealer, have told me that it is legal just very difficult to obtain.
    So, basically, I need to do some homework on that.

Our biggest problems here are cost and availability...

Yeah I dont know your firerarm code so I would def look it over .. Gun parts are a weird thing .. This stock may not be legal ... In the USA just the reciver is the gun part in other countryes the barrel/stock etc are all gun parts .. So I dont know on South Africa

I have read a lot of game parks in that part of the world mandate silencer for hunting .. Now these tend to be for big bore rifles so handgun ? The Benefits of Using a Silencer ? Gun World Magazine

I looks like there is some SA gun foroms out there I would def ask them what they think on stocks and silencer as I am comeing from the USA where these are treated differently ..
    GunSite® South Africa - South Africa’s Firearm, Tactical & Hunting Discussion Forums

I looked at Wikipidea on Gun laws in South Africa and silencer are not listed on there as illagle to own http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_pol...n_South_Africa
    I am not a lawyer .. Just a dog typing on the internet ..Spelling media apparatus male portatili. Malo me non reprehendo
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

It seems to me they are still legal but all the info I can find is old so I would ask a lawyer or on the gun foroums Gun Owners of South Africa - GOSA - Welcome are silencers still legal in S A?

But it seems like your laws are not as bad as say UK or Aussia land ...

I will be interested in if these are legal and what it takes to get one ... In the UK and NZ they are basicly over the counter and are consider polite to use them ...

In the USA we have to fill out a form and either have a trust or have the local police chiefe sign off on it and send the forms the sign off or trust plus 200 $ to the gov and wait a couple months to be able to pick it up..

Also they are not legal in all states.. Where I live NFA stuff is legal with the above one time 200 and form .. Ie I can buy any full auto gun made before 1986 if res with the gov or silencer and the like ... Silencer are getting more populare now for hunting and the like ...

I wish you luck from Wikipidea at least it seems you can own at least semi auto guns and have no magizine limit on guns unless hunting .. That is nice to have .. Here some states say you can only have 7 or 10 round mags same with other countries ...

Also it seems like you can carry a gun in public with the right permit is that true ? That is nice too

Turns your Glock into an SBR. If I was gonna do that I would just buy an AR pistol.
    OD* likes this.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.

“Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo.”
    - H. G. Wells -

Quote Originally Posted by 40Bob View Post
    Turns your Glock into an SBR. If I was gonna do that I would just buy an AR pistol.

He's is in South Africa so I dont think they have the same rules as we do ditto the NFA stuff ..

Thanks again for all the feedback. Will try to respond to everyone here:

Just some background...

If you wish to purchase a firearm here in South Africa, you first have to undergo firearm competency training with an accredited service provider. This is done for each type of firearm you intend to use, i.e. revolver, semi-auto, rifle or shotgun.
    Once this is completed, you may proceed to your dealer and purchase your firearm (either part payment or fully paid), obtain the serial number and then apply to the South African Police Service (SAPS) for a licence to own said firearm. The firearm dealer will store your weapon until the licence is issued.
    Said application must include a letter of motivation and will entail SAPS contacting your friends and/or family to provide character references. SAPS may also visit your premises to ensure the existence of a gun safe on site for storage. The application may take any amount of time to process. My licence took three months to reach me and that is considered a good time. Minimum is usually 6 - 8 weeks. Applications taking in excess of a year to process are not unheard of. Regardless, we consider ourselves fortunate just to receive it.
    Once the licence arrives, you may collect your weapon from the dealer. Licences are for concealed carry only (holstered; pocket carry is punishable).

The main motivation for a licence is self-defence. This limits you to a revolver or semi-auto. This also limits you to one firearm maximum.
    There are no limits to mag capacity but there is a limit to the number of rounds per calibre you may have in your possession at any one time (200).
    Dedicated sports shooters, hunters and farmers may own additional arms provided they have the pre-requisite documentation/memberships/motivation. This includes shotguns, rifles, carbines and handguns of various calibres.

To summarise -
    *We are able to bear arms at all times provided they are concealed. Even long-guns must be carried in cases or bags in the cities.
    *Only dedicated sports shooters, hunters and farmers may own multiple firearms and a licence must be obtained for each weapon.
    *It is almost impossible to own a long gun/carbine unless you are a sports shooter/hunter/farmer.
    *There are no restrictions on mag capacities but there are restrictions on ammunition quantities.
    *Silencers are readily available for long-guns, but mainly used by hunters and farmers.
    *While the right to bear arms is upheld, the bureaucracy one has to navigate to exercise this right is significant.

Further -
    *The variety of arms and accessories we have access to is severely limited, especially when compared to the US.
    *Our gun culture and access to information is also limited in comparison.
    *The cost to purchase a firearm is becoming exorbitant. As an example, using an exchange rate of $1 = R10 (South African Rands), here a Glock 19 currently costs $1100, a GTL22 laser/light costs $550, a set of tritium sights costs about $150 and the CCS anywhere between $500 and $1000 (I didn't bother to get a quote...)

CRC
    WrongRecroom likes this.

Links