Best Bug Out Motorcycle and Why

This is a discussion on Best Bug Out Motorcycle and Why within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; What is the best choice of a bug out motorcycle, and why? Probably something that can operate on both hard surfaces and off-road. Rugged capability, ...

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree112Likes

Thread: Best Bug Out Motorcycle and Why

What is the best choice of a bug out motorcycle, and why? Probably something that can operate on both hard surfaces and off-road. Rugged capability, with good range (tank size). Just curious, as I saw a nice looking BMW parked out front this morning. I began to wonder, hmmmmmmm......
    Operation Joint Endeavor, Bosnia and Herzegovina, US Army, 1st Armored Div (1995-96)
    SFOR, Stabilization Force, Bosnia and Herzegovina, US Army, 1st Armored Div (1997-98)
    Operation Iraqi Freedom, Iraq, US Army, 3rd Infantry Div (2007-08)
    Operation Enduring Freedom, Horn of Africa, US Army (2010)

Well, you certainly wouldn't be trapped during gridlock on the x-way, but you couldn't carry much on a bike that could/would work well in the dirt.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

ONLY if your name is Darrel, ONLY if you use a crossbow, and ONLY if it's a Zombie Apocalypse.....and then it has to be a harley w/ape hangars.
    CLASS3NH, StormRhydr, los and 6 others like this.

Administrator
    I'd go with a KLR650. The BMW's are really nice, but take expert driving to handle any serious off roading due to their size and weight.
    "Just blame Sixto"

tcox4freedom likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I sense someone trying to justify a motorcycle purchase

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    If you're truly talking bug-out, then you need something with no electronics, something that can be worked on/repaired/remains in service with repairs that you can perform without the need for specialized electronics.

I'd go with an old, large Honda, but ideally could see an old WWII Harley with a side car. If it must be, the side car can be removed, but it will help carry stuff for a while, and those things went through some pretty rough conditions.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

Distinguished Member Array 5lima30ret's Avatar
    If you have a long enough inseam the KLR-650 is about as good as it gets, although the DRZ-400 is better in the technical stuff. BMW's are great bikes on the road but IMHO are TOO heavy for most off-road excursions. Good luck!
    SIXTO and CaptSmith like this.
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, NC CWP, HR-218 Qualified
    Second generation American, Third generation Legionnaire
    "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

I have a older Honda Goldwing Aspencade over 100K on it right now. Not for off road at anytime. great on the roads, lots of room for extras. The BMW bikes run forever too.
    RKflorida likes this.
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

Makes me wish for my '83 XL600. That bike was awesome, and they still use the same basic motor 30 years later. But for bugging out (limited-term, of course) a Beemer with soft bags would suit me fine. Add to that my Maxpedition pack that has a rotating stock of goodies to suit my many moods, and I could feel somewhat zombie-resistant for several days.

Of course it doesn't hurt that I started riding dirt bikes at age 12 and continued in motocross & desert/woods riding all through my twenties and a bit beyond. Also rode as a street terror....err, commuter, for many years until the idiot SoCal drivers began using cell phones.
    AMMUNITION: The currency for the new millenium.

Lead Moderator
    I have done some long trips on and off road on my KLR 650. It will haul a fair amount of stuff if you pack similar for lightweight hiking and still handle dirt and two tracks. For technical trails the KLR is a pig. Riding without getting on the gas hard I get nearly 200 miles to a tank (big tank). If I were bugging out I would rather take the truck for more supplies, gear, food ,ect.
    5lima30ret and tcox4freedom like this.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

I would go with the KLR 650. Light, fast enough for what you would need it for and almost bullet proof. If you want a tank, go with the Yamaha Super Tenere. 90+ Horses under the hood and much more reliable than the BMW.

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    I'm still very strong on the no electronics; in the event of an EMP, something that destroys the power grid and anything electronic, you need a vehicle that will run despite the traffic lights being out. That's one of the reasons I keep the 1969 GMC in running condition.

Something like the bike picture here ; you can mount a lot of carrying capacity on this, and this thing will run through some very rough terrain and not quit. And if it does quit, repair will not be difficult.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    I have done some long trips on and off road on my KLR 650. It will haul a fair amount of stuff if you pack similar for lightweight hiking and still handle dirt and two tracks. For technical trails the KLR is a pig. Riding without getting on the gas hard I get nearly 200 miles to a tank (big tank). If I were bugging out I would rather take the truck for more supplies, gear, food ,ect.
    Personally, (for my family of four), I would like a couple of 4 stroke 250's that I could throw in the back of my 4x4 PUT. The dirtbikes will be used for scouting trips and to make a quick getaway should we find ourselves facing something that made our 4wds unusable.

If "S" hits the fan, I really don't care if the bike is street legal; though they would need to carry two people. My wife will follow in our Toy 4runner and we will head out sticking to the back roads. Interstates will be fatal funnels if things get real bad; (As proven by the mass evacuation of Florida & the Carolinas during hurricane Floyd).

-

-

Ural Ural-jump.jpg
    My neighbor had one when i was younger, they rip( especially in the snow)
    5lima30ret and BRachum like this.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links