Storing pistol in apartment without mounting or bolting?

This is a discussion on Storing pistol in apartment without mounting or bolting? within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm looking for methods of securing a Glock 17 in a third story apartment that does not allow any bolting or mounting to walls. Currently, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Storing pistol in apartment without mounting or bolting?

Storing pistol in apartment without mounting or bolting?

I'm looking for methods of securing a Glock 17 in a third story apartment that does not allow any bolting or mounting to walls. Currently, I'm making due with a Nanovault that is cable tied to my bed frame, with the vault itself hidden under some pillows. This obviously is not ideal, and I'm looking for a more substantial method of storing my Glock, a magazine or two, and possibly a second smaller pistol down the line as my finances allow. No bolting or mounting is allowed, has to be small enough to feasibly move into and between apartments, nothing space age and expensive.

2. Remove Ads

Very heavy floor safe loaded with lead bullets with room for ur gun sitting on top. Something too heavy that can't be carried out of the building by two strong men.
    The police are not there to protect you from crime, they are there to arrest the guy after the crime has been committed, assuming they find him. It is your responsibility to protect yourself and your family.

I would use a Center of Mass Safe and I would put two small screw holes (no bigger than hanging a picture) inside and above the closet door...out of sight/out of mind. When you leave, just a little of caulk or toothpaste and the holes disappear. Who will look above the door inside the closet? Not as secure as a safe, but you can't access what you don't see.OMOYMV

Quick and cheap...
    http://www.center-of-mass.com/Store_InCarGunSafe.htm

You won't need to use the metal cord, just two small screws to mount above the door.
    Surely you're allowed to hang a few pictures, and this would be the same and NEVER be seen.
    Have YOU ever looked above the door inside your closet?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

That safe you just linked to is virtually identical to the one I currently have cable locked to my bed. So I'd be mounting it near the ceiling over a closet door? Would this be bolting it to a wall, or just using the screws to hang it up like a picture frame while getting it down to access it?

I live in an apartment too... and had the same problem. I went to the local hobby store and scoped available dowel stock. Then I drilled holes to mount my safe. when I leave I will remove the bolts and fill with same diameter dowel rod, gut flush sand and paint.... problem solved.

If you truly do not want to do it that way, I have another Idea. If the safe is for storage only, mount it on the bed frame somewhere under the mattress out of sight. I did this with my first gun safe. I made wooden frame to slide the single gun box into. It was for storage only so I didnt need quick access.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

Quote Originally Posted by Highwayman View Post
    That safe you just linked to is virtually identical to the one I currently have cable locked to my bed. So I'd be mounting it near the ceiling over a closet door? Would this be bolting it to a wall, or just using the screws to hang it up like a picture frame while getting it down to access it?
    If you take out the padding on the bottom, you'll see screw holes...simply use a couple of screws to mount it to the wall over the door on the INSIDE of the closet. No one will ever find it or see it. When you leave, just fill those two small screw holes...easy fix.
    ShooterGranny likes this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

If you cannot drill holes, perhaps you need to think in concealment instead of security. Also note that while you might not be able to modify the apartment you can certainly modify your own furniture. I know a guy who put a fake backer in his top dresser drawer. Just enough room to conceal 4 handguns and some ammo, but you nearly had to pull the drawer all the way out to even see it.

http://www.nrastore.com/nrastore/Pro...O+24692-4&ct=e

Get a conceal weapon permit. Keep your weapon on you at all times and you wont need to lock it up.
    DanielC likes this.

USMC Shooting Team
    Distinguished Pistol Shot Badge - 1986
    Texas CHL since 1996.

Iraq 2004 to 2011.
    Afghanistan 2012 to present.

They also have books an small mantle clocks that also hide guns

Only a few options, a very heavy safe or simply hide it better.

When I lived in an apartment in 1989 I had a friend at a muffler shop make me a strong box out of steel and we added a fake key hole and welded it shut from the inside, tossed in about 35lbs of brake parts then welded the bottom on. I painted it od green, slapped on a couple of smith and wesson stickers and pushed it under my bed. Its sole purpose was to be a bait item for anyone who tossed my apt. They would easily find the box and being unable to open it would have to leave with it. Carrying the 35-40 pound box would keep them from carrying other stuff and would seem like a real prize if they thought guns where inside. I never had a break-in and my pistol always hung inside the leg of some nicely pressed pants in the closet. I left the dry cleaners tag on them so I could find the right pant leg quickly if under stress.
    Think like a man of action - Act like a man of thought

1. Get wall screws that fit the holes in your safe, get plastic anchors that match the screws.
    2. Drill the drywall, make sure the hole is the same size as the anchor.
    3. Hammer the anchors into the holes.
    4. Screw the safe to the anchors.
    5. When it's time to move unscrew them.
    6. Remove the plastic anchors with needle nose pliers.
    7. Fill the holes with drywall compound.
    8. If you're still worried, take a chip of the paint to a home improvement store so the can make mix a can of paint with the exact same color. Paint over the compound.
    9. Success.
    Ars longa vita brevis
    http://goo.gl/YN2P0h

Either get you carry permit and take your gun with you. Or find a good place to hide it. A bad guy is going to go straight for a safe when breaking in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet. – Gen James Mattis USMC

Quote Originally Posted by RETSUPT99 View Post
    I would use a Center of Mass Safe and I would put two small screw holes (no bigger than hanging a picture) inside and above the closet door...out of sight/out of mind. When you leave, just a little of caulk or toothpaste and the holes disappear. Who will look above the door inside the closet? Not as secure as a safe, but you can't access what you don't see.OMOYMV

Quick and cheap...
    In Car Gun Lockers

You won't need to use the metal cord, just two small screws to mount above the door.
    Surely you're allowed to hang a few pictures, and this would be the same and NEVER be seen.
    Have YOU ever looked above the door inside your closet?
    Apartments built in the last 30-40 years also have a utility closet (where the water heater is located) that this same idea works well. Open the utility closet and put the safe above the door, inside the closet. Just find a stud and drill into it. The nice part is that there is zero chance the holes would be noticed when you move, even if you didn't toothpaste them. BG's know what a utility closet is and, if they do look in it, they aren't going to look up. Keep the utility closet empty of anything else and squeaky clean. No reason for anyone to spend time looking there.

Get a heavy duty bike lock and lock it directly to your bed frame.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Just stick it in your dirty laundry basket, no one would want to go in there.
    Ianthin, SgtRick and flintlock62 like this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links