Need Some Advice

Need Some Advice

This is a discussion on Need Some Advice within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm getting ready to purchase a new IWB holster for my RIA compact tactical 9mm 1911 and I'm having trouble deciding. I've pretty much narrowed ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Need Some Advice

Need Some Advice

I'm getting ready to purchase a new IWB holster for my RIA compact tactical 9mm 1911 and I'm having trouble deciding. I've pretty much narrowed my choices down to Remora, N82, and Alien Gear and actually I could probably get 2 of the 3. I was interested in Stealthgear, but got no response from an email to them, and I can get 2 of the others for less than the cost of 1 Stealthgear. Any suggestions or opinions?

Distinguished Member
    I'm about 2 weeks in to trying an Alien Gear and so far I'm not impressed. I'm carrying a Beretta 92FS, and it just isn't working for me as well as my White Hat did. Giving it one more week for the leather to break in to make a final decision about keeping it. I know a lot of folks like Alien Gear, and they are certainly well priced, but my White Hat Maxtuck horsehide was comfortable and supported my gun well after the second day. I have a Remora for my Glock 30, and it is super comfortable. Just have to be mindful when you hit the restroom.
    Kennydale likes this.

VIP Member
    I can feel your pain as I have a drawer full of holsters. I am a fan of Bobby Cleveland's holsters as well as Galco. ( Galco are kind of over priced)

Cleveland Holsters, LLC HOME

I also understand there are some great holster companies that sponsor our forum.
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
    Wyatt Earp

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ianthin View Post
    ... Just have to be mindful when you hit the restroom.
    That's my only issue with the Remora. Great company, great people, good product, but I've been carrying IWB for many years with a holster that attaches to a belt. Old habits die hard. The first time that I unbuckled, my carry gun was on the floor. Right then it went into the holster box and hasn't come back out.

That gun MIGHT be a bit on the heavy side for a Remora. I've carried a ~30 ounce steel auto with a Remora a few times, and it worked, but had a tendency to settle into a position that wasn't exactly where I wanted it. It would probably be fine as long as you don't need it "just so" to avoid printing.
    ...there is no arguing with such snivelling puppies, who allow superiors to kick them about deck at pleasure.

Captain Bellamy

VIP Member
    I have an Alien Gear for a Glock 23, I really like it. N82 makes great stuff, you can't go wrong with that. A lot of people really like the Remora but it isn't for me. I don't want a holster that isn't hooked to me in some way so I can't speak intelligently about it. So I'd go with the first two, but you probably can't go wrong with any of them.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

I carry a Taurus 27/7 Pro 9mm or Beretta PX4 9mm.. both full size, the Beretta being a bit heavier and have used a Remora with no problems.. they are so cheap I just keep them there for when and if..
    primary carry is a custom shoulder rig.. but been looking at a leather OWB/IWB at The Holster Store - Gun Holsters

There are some fine producers of holsters on this forum as well.

Remora, thin, cheap, work great, remember it's there before you pop that top button on your pants !!!
    US Army Retired (2002)
    PAFOA.com, NAGR, USCCA, and NRA Life member

"Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity"
    unknown
    "Dare in Brocca" - Beretta

Distinguished Member
    Try Jeff at Hays Holsters. He'll make you a custom one quickly, and relatively inexpensively.
    Super customer service too!
    "Don't shout for help at night, you may wake your neighbors"

For your 1911 I'd get a hybrid with 2 clips to disperse the weight. Don't get me wrong I love my Remora holsters but for something that size you should get a hybrid. Here are a couple of quality yet inexpensive options.

Ozarks Holster Co. Ozarks Holster Company | Quality Holsters Made in USA

FoxX Holsters Home

Another great option is a Crossbreed. They sell second hand holsters at a fraction of the original cost. I purchased a Supertuck for my M&P 40c in so called "good" condition and I'm telling you this thing was like brand new for $40. And best of all I had my holster in 3 days after they received payment. Only thing is you have to keep an eye out for your holster to pop up on the list and be quick to reserve it. It took me a week of constantly checking to score my Crossbreed Seconds holster but well worth the effort and small price tag for arguably the BEST hybrid holster to this day!
    Crossbreed Holsters - Second Hand Holsters
    Luke 22:36,38 Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.
    38 And they said, Lord, behold, here are two swords. And he said unto them, It is enough.

I have both a crossbreed and a milt sparks SSII for my Rock CS. I pretty much only use the SSII now

Distinguished Member
    Can't go wrong with AlienGear or Jeff Hays. I have both and they are excellent IWB holsters. Carried my 1911 .45 all day today in an AG and it was still comfortable when I took it off tonight. Jeff's holsters are just that comfortable too.
    I shoot with a pistol and a Canon. We must all hang together amigos, or we will all hang separately. NRA life member.

Should have known better, came on a message board trying to narrow down 3 holster choices & ended up with 12, LOL. Anyway, has anyone carried a heavier gun in a N82? I like that holster, but I do wonder about the weight with only 1 clip vs the 2 clips on the Alien Gear.

Quote Originally Posted by ajh734 View Post
    Should have known better, came on a message board trying to narrow down 3 holster choices & ended up with 12, LOL. Anyway, has anyone carried a heavier gun in a N82? I like that holster, but I do wonder about the weight with only 1 clip vs the 2 clips on the Alien Gear.
    I would also like the N82 Pro. But 1) I am not sure how it carries in AIWB.
    2) On the Pro model you need to twist your firearm to release the retention..it's an appealing looking holster. I do hear you need to use Locktite on it.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk
    "A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves !"
    Edwards R. Murrow

I love my Remora for my EDC Glock 30 SF. They have SUPER customer service too!
    Ben

Cogito, ergo armatum sum. I think, therefore I am armed. (Don Mann, The Modern Day Gunslinger; the ultimate handgun training manual)

Distinguished Member Array denclaste's Avatar
    For my 1911's the Sparks Summer Special II is the most comfortable one I've ever owned for IWB.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links