Howard Leight Impact Pro Electronic Ear Protection Question

This is a discussion on Howard Leight Impact Pro Electronic Ear Protection Question within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I recently purchased the Howard Leight Impact Pro electronic ear protection. They have a NNR of 30 dB which is the highest I have found. ...

Like Tree14Likes
  • 1 Post By BillG174
  • 3 Post By BenFoo
  • 3 Post By NC Bullseye
  • 1 Post By BillG174
  • 2 Post By LimaCharlie
  • 1 Post By JulesWinnfield
  • 1 Post By Exacto
  • 1 Post By RickyD
  • 1 Post By LimaCharlie

Thread: Howard Leight Impact Pro Electronic Ear Protection Question

Howard Leight Impact Pro Electronic Ear Protection Question

I recently purchased the Howard Leight Impact Pro electronic ear protection. They have a NNR of 30 dB which is the highest I have found. When shooting at my indoor range in Olathe I am having trouble adjusting the volume just right to be able to hear a person standing next to me talking to me but not adjusting the volume too loud so when the guns fire the ear protection doesn't shut out the bang.

Tonight I borrowed a pair of Peltor Tactical Sport electronic muffs from the range that have an NNR of only 20. I thought my Howard Leights were definitely better for noise reduction but I had trouble adjusting the volume to the best point on the Peltors too.

Does anyone have experience with electronic ear protection and adjusting the volume to the best adjustment?
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Train Hard - Be Safe

2. Remove Ads

As far as I know the electronic cutoff is a static dB level. The only thing the volume knob does is change the magnification of the sounds below that level.
    phreddy, RickyD and gatorbait51 like this.

Especially for indoor ranges consider adding a pair of foam ear plugs to go along with the muffs. Howard Leights are the best I've seen and have both of their styles (Pro and regular). Indoor shooting is a beast and doubling up on the ear protection is just about a must.

HL makes great foam plugs too.
    North Carolina Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection and Basic Pistol Instructor

OP: Thanks for your thoughts!
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Train Hard - Be Safe

I wear cheap foam plugs and turn my Howard Leight Impact Pro electronic ears all the way up. I sometimes work ten hour days at the gun club as a range safety officer. There are higher rated electronic muffs available with faster attack times, but they are in the $400.00 range.
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

U.S. Army, Retired
    NRA Patron Life Member.

Quote Originally Posted by NC Bullseye View Post
    Especially for indoor ranges consider adding a pair of foam ear plugs to go along with the muffs. Howard Leights are the best I've seen and have both of their styles (Pro and regular). Indoor shooting is a beast and doubling up on the ear protection is just about a must.

HL makes great foam plugs too.
    Precisely what I do.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Exacto's Avatar
    The acoustics are much different indoors. Most guys will wear some foam plugs under their muffs when shooting indoors.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunder bolt...... Sun Tzu.

The supreme art of war is to defeat the enemy without fighting........ Sun Tzu.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BenFoo View Post
    As far as I know the electronic cutoff is a static dB level. The only thing the volume knob does is change the magnification of the sounds below that level.
    My understanding as well. I have the HLIP as well and I typically turn them all the way up to hear range commands - I have noticed no difference in the volume control impacting sound deadening.

I don't typically supplement with additional protection, but I can certainly understand it with extended indoor range time.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

There are two things to look for in electronic hearing protection. The noise reduction rating (NRR) in dB and the attack time in milliseconds. The higher the NRR, the better. The best are around 30 dB. The attack time is how fast they shut down the noise. The faster the better. If they don't show the attack time in their specifications, they aren't proud of it and don't want you to know. The really good ones start around $300.00 and go up to thousands of dollars for custom fitted electronic hearing protection. The Howard Leight Impact Pro and foam ear plugs work well for me for much less money.
    JulesWinnfield likes this.
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

U.S. Army, Retired
    NRA Patron Life Member.

We shoot outdoors only. Almost all of our handgun shooters use the Howard Leight Impact Sport hearing protection. They have Great Battery Life. And as was said above if you need even more protection add some ear plugs and crank them on up. They are a great value also. I have some older Peltor's that I never use any more. They eat batterys like candy.
    I do my deer hunting with a 480 Ruger Super RedHawk. I wear the Howard Leight's so I can hear better in the woods when hunting, as well as hearing protection from the handgun.

Bob The Revolver Guy
    Big Creek Kydex Speed Loader Carriers
    ICORE MO2908
    NRA Life

OP:

Thanks to all of the posters for your thoughts and comments. I am happy with the HL Impact Pro 30 NRR - it is the audio control level that I am having trouble with. I have to turn the volume up about 3/4 of the way before I can hear my wife talking to me standing right next to me. When I set the volume high enough to hear her and my Glock G17 and other guns go off the bang appears to not cut off very well. I will call Howard Leight tomorrow on the phone and talk to them before I take them back to the store I purchased them from.
    Train Hard - Be Safe

Might just be my muffs,but when I had the volume turned up on the indoor range it seemed like it damaged the electronics,the right muff now has a high pitched whine,I used these muffs outdoors for over a year,but within a couple months at an indoor range they were screwed up
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Love my Howard Leights - much better than anything else I've owned. My set aren't acoustic-reducing with electronics, but they do plug into my cellphone so I can put on some music while I shoot. This helps keep the noise down on a crowded range.

Noise-cancelling ear muffs are a nice idea, but if there's a problem, a dead battery, whatever, you want these things to still protect your hearing. It only takes one shot at high decibels to give you tinnitus for life. So your ear protection should be solid whether it has noise cancellation or not.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

Links