High powerd walkie-talkie?

This is a discussion on High powerd walkie-talkie? within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok, so we have coverd the bluetooth issue. The consensus seemed to be that they are a great thing to have but not always as ...

Thread: High powerd walkie-talkie?

Ok, so we have coverd the bluetooth issue. The consensus seemed to be that they are a great thing to have but not always as practical as they seem.

What about getting a high powerd walkie-talkie set for when SHTF or for BOB use? Would a hand held CB radio be a smarter way to go? Most hunters use these walkie talkies, like motorolla, uniden, and panasonic. they all use similar channels and can talk to eachother when you find a channel they share.

I saw some at Fredmeyer yesterday that were 80.00 and they had a 17 mile range. hyper active channel scanning and a TON of other features.

Would these walkies be practical and tactical or more of just a want rather than a need?

A CB radio does have the emergeny channel but most handheld CB's are not powerful enough to get anyone on that channel if you were not within 5-10 miles of the base station picking up the frequency.

I could be wrong about that range, I only have used a CB in my car and it was tweeked and peaked with a 100Watt Linner booster. (Ham licance required)

Your thoughts?
    I carry because I care.
    "An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject."
    "Cling to the Father and His Holy name, and don't go riding on the Long Black Train" - Josh Turner

There are a ton of options out there: CB, FRS, MURS, GMRS, and ham. I don't really know enough about them to discuss the pros and cons of each, but if you want some personal radio communications, you won't lack for choices!

For VHF/UHF radios the distance you mentioned of 17 miles, is possible only when working another station (usually a repeater) with a very high antenna, and using a handheld with 5 Watts and a very high efficiency antenna (telescopic or some other type of antenna - definitely NOT a rubber duckie type).

Anything over 5 to 7 Watts of transmit power is dangeous for the handheld radio user (the radio is being held next to the users head, unless a speaker mic is being used and the radio is a few feet away).

Using a linear amplifier on a CB is illegal, and could cost you BIG fines and/or jail time, when (not IF) you get caught.

The FCC is in the process of eliminating the Morse Code requirement for HF amateur license classes. If you can learn the theory, rules and regulations to pass the exam, and have a clean criminal record, you can now become licensed to operate a portable HF radio in the amateur band at full legal power, for long distance communication, covering hundreds or thousands of miles, instead of the "line of sight" modes used by the newer Citizens Band and Family Radios Service equipment.

The Morse Code requirement has long been the factor that kept a lot of people from trying for a "ham" license. In a short time, that will no longer be the case.

Buy yourself some study guides from the ARRL, and get busy; the Technician and General class exams are not difficult.

Distinguished Member Array lowflyer's Avatar
    If you are interested in SHTF radio communications, you can get a pretty good education from your local HAM radio clubs.
    Whatever doesn't kill you postpones the inevitable.

Quote Originally Posted by Gelicious View Post

I saw some at Fredmeyer yesterday that were 80.00 and they had a 17 mile range. hyper active channel scanning and a TON of other features.

Would these walkies be practical and tactical or more of just a want rather than a need?

A CB radio does have the emergeny channel but most handheld CB's are not powerful enough to get anyone on that channel if you were not within 5-10 miles of the base station picking up the frequency.

I could be wrong about that range, I only have used a CB in my car and it was tweeked and peaked with a 100Watt Linner booster. (Ham licance required)

Your thoughts?
    First of all.... I think that 17 mile range is some mfg blowing smoke. Those little FRS radios at in the 460mhz band, which is nearly line of sight. That range would be more likely 2-5 miles, unless you are going from mountain top to mountain top, with no obstacles inbetween.

4 watts is all a CB radio is allowed by law. With that "illegal Linear Amplifier" on there, hope the FCC dont catch you. Also, a ham license wont do any good, as ham's arent allowed on the 27 mhz band; use to be a ham band in the 30-50's, but due to inactivity, the FCC gave it to the CB'ers instead.

To answer your question though.. I would go with the FRS HT's over the CB's, as I think you would have better results and it is more versitle. Either that, or get a GFRS license, where you can use repeaters, like hams do. No tests, just $80 family license + radios.

John (K6YDW)
    John
    XD40 Service
    S&W638 Airweight .38

Kahr CW9
    Hi-Point 995 Carbine

For local comms above 50 MHz, the FCC no longer requires Morse code. It's called a no-code Technician license, and consists of a 35 question written test and $10-$15 one-time test fee. http://www.eham.net/newham/howtobecome for more info.

Sponsored Links