Bug out Truck

Bug out Truck

This is a discussion on Bug out Truck within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; All the talk of bug out bags and the like on here has got me thinking. Most of the year (until this summer, then who ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bug out Truck

Bug out Truck

All the talk of bug out bags and the like on here has got me thinking. Most of the year (until this summer, then who knows where I will be after graduation) I spend in Columbus at school, and the rest of my family is in Cincinnati, about 100 miles away. So today while doing work on the truck I decided to take stock of what I have in it, and add appropriately.

The main plan for a big SHTF right now is to utilize my trucks 4x4 and off road capabilites to go accross all the cornfields in the way (thats most of the 100 miles), to my parent's place, where they have supplies stocked up, and most of my weaponry is year round (high property crime rate around campus and parent's rules means that I usually only have one or two pistols and maybe a shotgun at school), the rest, along with ammo for them, are kept in Cincinnati area. If I can't make it all the way in the truck, well then thats why I have feet, but the plan is to get as far as possible with the truck, avoiding roads. The truck always has at least half a tank, which is more than I would need for the drive. And I have done it all back-roads and no expressway (didn't figure the farmers want me drivin in their fields, but if SHTF, then they will prolly have bigger concerns.

So in the truck's tool box I have:
    Craftsman mechanic's tool set, the big one, with just about any hand tool I would need to fix my truck
    Hayne's manual
    Spare fluids for truck, pre-mixed coolant, transmission fluid, motor oil
    Electrical work tools and supplies, splices, wires, crimpers, ect...
    duct tape
    work gloves
    15 feet of chain for towing
    21 foot tow strap
    2 10 foot moving straps
    7 assorted length bungee cords
    4 12 foot rachet tie down straps
    spare blanket still in plastic wrap
    spare hooded fleece
    4 way tire iron
    flat tire repair kit
    safety flares
    8x10 tarp
    flashlight and batteries
    winter gloves
    In a shoulder bag in the tool box:
    4 bottles of water
    2 candles
    matches
    lighter
    swiss army knife
    7" blade survival knife (not a name brand, but it has years of abuse in the woods and is still sharp and hasn't broken)
    3 packs of ramen noodles (college kids always have a surplus)
    2 protein bars
    compass
    extra socks
    flashlight and extra batteries

In the cab:
    first aid kit, nothin too fancy, but I added a snake bite kit, and it has enough for anything I can fix myself
    moving blanket, one of the thick ones you see mover's use, light blue on one side, dark green on the other
    fire extinguisher
    CB radio
    Maps of Ohio
    Spare ammo for firearms, abotu 100 rounds each
    4-D mag light

And on my person would be my EDC pocket knife, whatever firearms I had in C-bus (I never leave any in my Apt. up there, so at least my .45 and .357, and prolly Mossy 500 persuader), ID, cell phone (always charged) and cash.

Sorry about the long list, but maybe something on here will make someone else think and possibly help them. Any suggestions on things that I am missing?
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Add a Interstate Road atlas in case you have to leave the state.
    quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Administrator
    If your going to Baja your way down to Cincinnati, you need to add this to your tool box. http://www.cvfsupply.com/come_along/...and_winch.html
    Last edited by SIXTO; December 30th, 2006 at 06:11 PM.

I do have a come-along, along with a hi-lift jack and spare tire, I forgot to add those, because they are secured under the bed, and I dont always think about them.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Administrator
    buckeye, depending on how well you know Ohio, there are routes to take that will not be jammed with traffic, and you dont have to risk the offroad part so much. If you want to know were to look, PM me.

don't forget cash!

the folks from Katrina ran out or didn't have enough and the banks/ATMs were not up to task

1 or 2 small engineer stakes and a sledge hammer, in case you get stuck and there is no natural points to anchor down the winch hook (a good quality electric winch would be better than the manual one, but if money is tight, thats all you got). Also, a shovel/pick ax to start up the hole for the stake (if ridding solo it can be hard to pound one into the dirt). Radiator hose repair kit may help too.

Personally, I think you're just a wee bit paranoid But if you really think you need to prepare to this degree, you seem to have forgotten one slightly important thing:

Extra gas. In a major disaster it's quite likely that gas stations would be either inoperative, quickly depleted, or mobbed.

Don't know how big your gas tank is or what kind of mileage your truck gets, but I'd think you'd want at least 50 gallons on hand.

Distinguished Member Array lowflyer's Avatar
    GPS and one of these:

http://www.premierpowerwelder.com/index2.html

and maybe one of these onboard air compressors so you can inflate tires, run air tools, etc...:

Last edited by lowflyer; December 31st, 2006 at 12:06 AM.
    Whatever doesn't kill you postpones the inevitable.

One thing I would suggest Buckeye is the addition of a small air compressor for your trucks tires. You have the flat tire repair kit in there as do I in my Jeep Cherokee. But, I also have a small electric air compressor that I bought at Home Depot for about $40 that is made especially for tire inflation. It can be charged up and will inflate all 4 tires on a single charge or it can run off the cig. lighter with an adapter. It has already saved my bacon once when I had a flat and then discovered to my dismay that my spare was also flat. I was able to air up the spare and be on my way.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Administrator
    What about those fix a flat canned things? I have used them as a temp fix on my atv before, got me out of a jam. Might be easier than a compressor.

I have actually been thinking about doing this for awhile now. I have been looking to dedicate a 4X4 truck, full size blazer/bronco, unimog or the like as a bug out vehicle and set it up in the manor above with whatever else one might want or think they will need onboard with other than a drive to town here and there or used for a hunting truck it sit's in waiting for a day it may be used. Set it up with brush guards, skid plates, heavy suspension, serious lighting and everything you would want in a bug out truck like listed above. Keep it simple with a good truck with good strong engine, simple flat paint, some get down to business larger off road type tires for mud/terrain you could/will encounter, roll cage, basically a go anywhere anytime BOT (Bug Out Truck).

Anyone have a set up like this or similar, or one they are working on?

Ti.
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    What about those fix a flat canned things? I have used them as a temp fix on my atv before, got me out of a jam. Might be easier than a compressor.

Slime works well also for a patch but if IIRC you would still need air. Fix a flat sounds like a good idea as well.

Ti.
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

My truck is a 1977 GMC heavy 3/4 ton (meaning full ton suspension), Chevy 350 short block going into a turbo 350 transmission, all time 4x4 that has spent most of its time as a farm truck, so despite its age, it only has 131000 miles, and both the engine and transmission have been replaced since I acquired it two years ago, along with tons of other work on it. I have the brush guard, some off road lighting. I like the idea of a shovel or pick axe, hadn't thought of that (might go try to find a decent e-tool for that job) . Most of the equipment can also be used on a normal trip from Cincy to C-bus in case of a problem with the truck.

The tire repair kit has an electric air pump as well as a bottle of a product similar to fix a flat, and some other small peices. I actually bought two to see how they perform, using the first one on an old tire. It was capable of both plugging the whole, and filling the tire, and the pump still works. As well as a full size spare.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Quote Originally Posted by cagueits View Post
    1 or 2 small engineer stakes and a sledge hammer, in case you get stuck and there is no natural points to anchor down the winch hook (a good quality electric winch would be better than the manual one, but if money is tight, thats all you got). Also, a shovel/pick ax to start up the hole for the stake (if ridding solo it can be hard to pound one into the dirt). Radiator hose repair kit may help too.
    I use a pull pal for an anchor. I have a winch in the front of my rig if I get stuck I set up the pul pal and hook the cable to it and it digs its on anchor. Check it out pullpal.com
    To close for missiles, switching to guns.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links