Affordable but functional 'gun rug'?'

This is a discussion on Affordable but functional 'gun rug'?' within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm starting to train for competition in cold range setups where all firearms are situated on a table off to the side, not having a ...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By sammeow
  • 2 Post By molleur
  • 2 Post By CWOUSCG

Thread: Affordable but functional 'gun rug'?'

Affordable but functional 'gun rug'?'

I'm starting to train for competition in cold range setups where all firearms are situated on a table off to the side, not having a case of any kind I was forced to lock my Glock 17 slide and leave it out in the open. Later on, I walked up and saw two other Glocks, one a 17 and one a 22, with the slide locked and had to inspect all three to fine mine. I need a 'gun rug' that fits the following criterion.

1. Affordable, broke grad student.
    2. Fits feasibly into an LA Police Gear Bail Out Bag which I use as a range bag.
    3. Only has to fit the Glock, magazines must be kept at a different table so there's no need for mag storage.
    4. Possibly different looking enough that I don't walk up and see five black gun cases and have to dig around for mine while the match director waits on me.

2. Remove Ads

REMORA HANDGUN CASE

25 bucks but 30% right now

and a lot of differnt colors etc even leather looking so should not be a issue

or for 25 just get a new glock hard case and write your name on it http://www.amazon.com/GLOCK-HARD-CAS.../dp/B0014VX420

also amazon has a lot for decent pricing http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...%2Ck%3Agun+rug

and if your a grade student amazon prime is pretty cheep like 50 bucks for a year or such
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    I am not a lawyer .. Just a dog typing on the internet ..Spelling media apparatus male portatili. Malo me non reprehendo
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

Just try not to store the gun long term in this ... Can lead to issues Don't keep guns in the soft pistol "rug" cases
    I am not a lawyer .. Just a dog typing on the internet ..Spelling media apparatus male portatili. Malo me non reprehendo
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

VIP Member
    Hoppes Soft Acrylic Non-Slip Gun Cleaning Mat $7.49

This is for a rifle but I have seen these at Walmart for pistol, roll it up and keep in your range bag. they are like 10" x10" under 10 bucks
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
    Wyatt Earp

Ok, let's talk cheap.
    Head to Goodwill or local dollar store and look for small bathmat, you can cut it in half if needed.
    Scrap carpet or those sample squares are big enough too.
    Shucks, even a folded towel works. Use it, wash it.
    5lima30ret likes this.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sammeow View Post
    Ok, let's talk cheap.
    Head to Goodwill or local dollar store and look for small bathmat, you can cut it in half if needed.
    Best bet! Or, take it off of your head...
    RebelSoul and 357and40 like this.
    "Don't shout for help at night, you may wake your neighbors"

Quote Originally Posted by sammeow View Post
    Ok, let's talk cheap.
    This. I've used these for years, most places will give them away.

To clarify, I'm looking for an enclosing case which stores the gun, which I keep seeing being called gun rugs. I'm not after a work mat or something just to set the gun on, although the suggestions for those have been very innovative and I may use that for my workshop at my next place.

JB.png
    Well.
    RebelSoul and 357and40 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Highwayman View Post
    To clarify, I'm looking for an enclosing case which stores the gun, which I keep seeing being called gun rugs. I'm not after a work mat or something just to set the gun on, although the suggestions for those have been very innovative and I may use that for my workshop at my next place.
    So hard or soft case ?

Soft case, just something to tuck into my range bag and place on the gun table at competitions away from ammunition.

Quote Originally Posted by Highwayman View Post
    Soft case, just something to tuck into my range bag and place on the gun table at competitions away from ammunition.
    So remora ? Or check amazon at 25 bucks or less for most ....

Dude - not to sound harsh - but have you ever been to a sporting goods store or a gun shop?

They sell quality soft handgun cases for as low as $13 in all shapes and sizes and colors. I buy one every time I buy a new gun.
    Duty is ours, consequences are God's.

- Stonewall Jackson

Ok, a gun rug is something different. Here is what ya need.
    Go to walmart and pick up a Winchester pistol case $10
    I use them to store and keep separate my pistols in my range bag
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    Place for extra mags and pistol compartment. Fits even a full size pistol.
    And I have tan and black, opted not to get pink.
    Winchester Packaged Sporting Pistol Case with Interior Magazine Pouches, Pink: Shooting : Walmart.com
    Last edited by sammeow; March 24th, 2014 at 02:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RebelSoul View Post
    Dude - not to sound harsh - but have you ever been to a sporting goods store or a gun shop?

They sell quality soft handgun cases for as low as $13 in all shapes and sizes and colors. I buy one every time I buy a new gun.
    I'm a bit of a quality and function nut. I would rather pay the best possible price online for something I know won't start fraying apart, degrade from exposure, or just generally feel like a piece of Airsoft gear that the gun store raised the price on for a profit.

Links