Vortex SPARC

Vortex SPARC

This is a discussion on Vortex SPARC within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok, so I want some opinions on the Vortex SPARC. I want the EOTech XPS-2 but the price of the SPARC is just right at ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By LimaCharlie

Thread: Vortex SPARC

Senior Member Array SigIsTheAnswer's Avatar

Vortex SPARC

Ok, so I want some opinions on the Vortex SPARC. I want the EOTech XPS-2 but the price of the SPARC is just right at around $200. How is it? Will it hold zero on a 5.56 rifle? I intend to get it for my P516. How is its field of view with two eyes open? The EOTech is easy to use with two eyes but I wonder how the SPARC seems to do in that regard. How about durability?
    Sig Sauer P516, Sig Sauer P229 Scorpion ,Sig Sauer M11-A1 TB, Beretta PX4 Storm compact, FN Five SeveN 5.7, Glock 30 Gen 3
    Glock 26 Gen 4

Semper Fi USMC 0341/8152 2003-2007
    Army National Guard 11C 2009-2014

If you use the forum search tool for "Sparc", you should find the answer to all of your questions and more.

I would just note that there is a reason for the price gap, so whether or not it will meet your needs mostly depends on what your intended purpose for the optic is.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Distinguished Member Array denclaste's Avatar
    When you try to cheap out on optics it almost always comes back to bite you.

Distinguished Member Array Exacto's Avatar
    Have you considered the Lucid HD-7. It is a good red dot at a good price. Read the reviews on both, they are both in the ball park price wise. I have read a lot of reviews comparing the HD-7 with Aimpoint and EOTech, many saying tge Lucid is worthy of three times the asking price of around 200 dollars. I have one and I can vouch for it being a good dependable optic that will hold zero on a 5.56.
    Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunder bolt...... Sun Tzu.

The supreme art of war is to defeat the enemy without fighting........ Sun Tzu.

Sponsor
    We sell them never had anyone say anything negative about it. Also look at the Vortex Optics 1x30mm StrikeFire Red Dot AR Rifle Scope.

Mike

I had one and really liked it on my AR-57. I sold it with the gun.
    AdoramaMike likes this.
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

U.S. Army, Retired
    NRA Patron Life Member.

I've had a Sparc for while. Works fine -- holds zero, accurate adjustments, bright enough dot, etc. It has, however, shown a tendency to act really "squirrely" as the battery gets close to being drained. Essentially, it starts failing to turn off and the brightness can't really be adjusted more than a few levels when the battery gets low. From what I understand, it's a known problem. It wouldn't be all that much of an issue if the batteries weren't such a pain to find -- must've gone to 5 or 6 different stores before I was able to find a place that actually stocked them. Recently this issue caused me to just pony up and get an actual Aimpoint from Larue (their packaged deal on the H-1 micro plus mount).

Senior Member Array SigIsTheAnswer's Avatar
    Thanks for all the info guys.
    Sig Sauer P516, Sig Sauer P229 Scorpion ,Sig Sauer M11-A1 TB, Beretta PX4 Storm compact, FN Five SeveN 5.7, Glock 30 Gen 3
    Glock 26 Gen 4

Semper Fi USMC 0341/8152 2003-2007
    Army National Guard 11C 2009-2014

I bought my SPARC a couple of years ago based largely on this post on ar15.com:
    Vortex SPARC Review - AR15.COM

We get to borrow night vision from our lending library here at work, and neither my EOTech 512 nor my EOTech EXPS2-2 were NV compatible, so I bought the SPARC.

I didn't use the 2x screw-in "doubler" as much as I thought i would, it narrowed the field of view substantially. YMMV, I just didn't use mine.

Vortex released the SPARC 2 at SHOT Show in January:
    series_rd_sparc2.jpg

Played with it a bit at SHOT, the included caps are a huge improvement over the bikini that came with the original SPARC. That's one of the things I really like about Vortex, they solicit and respond to comments and suggestions from users of their products.

Mark H.

Sponsored Links