Crossbows

This is a discussion on Crossbows within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I love the look of crossbows and wondering if i can find a good reason to buy one . Would someone say they are mostly ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Crossbows

VIP Member

Crossbows

I love the look of crossbows and wondering if i can find a good reason to buy one . Would someone say they are mostly used for target practice or do the members here use them for other sporting activities . I can't say i have heard alot of talk on them here at DC Forum .
    Member of the NRA
    {A}RMS discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property...Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them
    1775 Thomas Paine
    Not afraid to live & Not afraid to die .

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array grouse's Avatar
    A year or two ago Kansas (my state) made them legal to use for deer during the bow season if your over 50 something, which I am. Yeah need to get me one! The guys I know that have used the crossbow for deer all say the same thing, that they don't shoot any further than a compound bow but are a little easier to hit with.

But man! Those crossbows can cost as much as a good rifle! That's why I don't have one yet....
    welder516 likes this.

I've never had an interest in them. I don't know why.
    I am a traditional archer, and love the simplicity of the recurve and longbow.

And, on the 4,5, and 6th of April, you will find me at the Mercer County ky Fish and Game club enjoying a seminar by the one and only G Fred Asbell, checking out the many vendors selling bows, and, pathetically attempting to be competitive in a 3D tourney with some of the best in the country.

But it's not a prize I'm hoping to collect, but more knowledge and skill.
    When it comes to traditional archery, I need it!
    welder516 and 5lima30ret like this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Distinguished Member
    I want one too!
    welder516 likes this.
    "Don't shout for help at night, you may wake your neighbors"

Sponsor
    Cross Bows are a blast at the range. Some states allow them to be used for deer and other game hunting. I personally prefer compound long bow for hunting but my wife hunts with a cross bow.

I got her a reverse limb Havoc from Horton last year. A nice compact set up that's pretty quick. Not the highest quality but not the highest price either. I see that Horton has been bought up and the new owner may not support the Horton bow. Not sure on that, I haven't really looked into it, but it's something to consider if you are going to pick up a cross bow.
    welder516 likes this.
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

Good Lord, man. They are replacing compound bows at a ridiculous pace, in terms of deer hunting. They absolutely have a use beyond target practice.

I have a "Ten Point" brand, set up for deer hunting. It aint no toy.

Saying that; You can buy some nice guns for the price of a crossbow setup.
    welder516 likes this.

I just traded my .22 target rifle for one. My hands don't allow me to use a traditional bow but I can use a crossbow well. In Florida you can hunt most all seasons with one.
    welder516 likes this.

I'm unfamiliar with anyone (cross)bow fishing yet am intrigued with the idea. Asian Carp are a nuisance epidemic on the Tennessee & Cumberland rivers around here. When agitated, they leap high out of the water. With a crossbow, it "might" be fun practice for...Sporting Clays!
    Parrisk, welder516 and NONAME762 like this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

I got a PSE Crossbow while PA Game Commission was discussing allowing hunting with them.. since then the prices have really jumped..
    I deer and turkey hunt with it... target practice requires either an crossbow target or placing your target a long walk away..
    I have seen the fishing rigs, but I don't fish very much so I can't justify that cost..

They are definitely fun.. just make sure you get one that meets the legal draw weight for hunting or they lose almost all value once you hold it in your hands..
    welder516 likes this.
    US Army Retired (2002)
    PAFOA.com, NAGR, USCCA, and NRA Life member

"Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity"
    unknown
    "Dare in Brocca" - Beretta

I have wanted one for many years, it is just that there is always another gun higher on the want list.
    welder516, Parrisk and 5lima30ret like this.
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

U.S. Army, Retired
    NRA Patron Life Member.

Quote Originally Posted by welder516 View Post
    I love the look of crossbows and wondering if i can find a good reason to buy one . Would someone say they are mostly used for target practice or do the members here use them for other sporting activities . I can't say i have heard alot of talk on them here at DC Forum .
    You can use the same reason I did. I can't hit crap consistantly with a regular bow. I can hit what I'm aiming at with the crossbow.
    welder516 likes this.
    NRA Member
    GOA Member
    US Army Vet

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I have a compound bow that I can no longer use due to shoulder issues. I was pretty good with back it in my hunting days. Crossbows never interested me much, and at the time were illegal for hunting where I was. My guns can do anything a crossbow can do and I can carry more ammo than arrows.

That said, give one a try and see what you think, then make your own decision.
    welder516 likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    I have been using one for hunting here in Mi. since 2002.
    I had an accident that rendered some of my hand unable to articulately draw my compound bow back.
    I have an Exomag by Excaliber with no wheels.
    It was not cheap, but in its day was super quick(330 fps).
    It has a scope, string cocker crank, and a 200 Lb draw.
    It has served me well.
    Everyone that shoots it loves it and has a big grin.
    welder516 likes this.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Va. allows crossbows for hunting. I particularly don't care for them. I use a recurve.
    welder516 likes this.

The crossbow is great for those of use who are older and have difficulty drawing back a 60 lb weight draw and holding it at anchor to get a good sight picture. They work for me.
    welder516 likes this.
    "It's good to be open-minded, but don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out". .... Author ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links