SigTac Adaptive Carbine Platform

This is a discussion on SigTac Adaptive Carbine Platform within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Convert Any Full-Size Pistol into a Carbine - USA Carry "Sig Sauer has introduced a simple device to convert ANY full-sized railed pistol (up to ...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By ZOMBIEvs42
  • 2 Post By Longstreet
  • 1 Post By WrongRecroom

Thread: SigTac Adaptive Carbine Platform

VIP Member

Convert Any Full-Size Pistol into a Carbine - USA Carry

"Sig Sauer has introduced a simple device to convert ANY full-sized railed pistol (up to a 5-inch barrel) into a carbine… easily, quickly, and inexpensively they say. It is called the SigTac Adaptive Carbine Platform (ACP). The information says it works with a Sig, Glock, Smith & Wesson M&P, Springfield XD/XDM, 1911 and other full-sized pistols."

This sounds like a great idea for people on a budget and also for a nightime solution. Convert your EDC to carbine before you go to bed, and then have a more secure method for handling your gun if you're rudely awakened in the middle of the night.

I see it advertised on Amazon for around $230. I haven't seen any other info on the product until today. Does anyone have it or have you seen other reviews?
    Ben

Cogito, ergo armatum sum. I think, therefore I am armed. (Don Mann, The Modern Day Gunslinger; the ultimate handgun training manual)

Wouldnt that make it a SBR, and subject to NFA regulations? If so, I want no part of it.

Honestly, I wouldnt trust that thing in a life & death situation. My pistols work just fine, without some "universal" thing put on it.

Based on the design my biggest concern would be dealing with malfunctions. When I opened the article it seems that the author had the same concerns. You can obviously manipulate the slide, but unless you practice a lot it would likely be different enough to cause problems. For that reason alone I would opt for a dedicated platform. Just my $0.02.

Senior Member Array CR Williams's Avatar
    Besides the other concerns noted, this is going to convert the pistol to an SBR and so will require that Form 4 and the 200.00 bucks and whatever else goes with that. You wouldn't be able to use it with any other pistol, either. Seems to be more agin' it than 'fur it.
    "Oh, bother," said Pooh as he rocked another mag into the 556R...

www.inshadowinlight.com

http://inshadowinlight.wordpress.com

There are two versions, one that comes with a stock (SBR) and one that comes with a sling point not an SBR (unless you put a vertical foward grip on it) ATF has "ruled" that an angled grip is not a foward grip.
    WrongRecroom likes this.
    weekend pre-apocolypse nomadic warrior, leather duster and all.

In the SIG community, the #1 question asked is......why?

I have no idea why anybody would want one.
    StormRhydr and RemMod597 like this.

To me these are pointless as is .. I rather havea 16inch upper with a real barrel for my handgun then this ... Most of these were made for country with different guns laws .. Like isreal where it is near immposible to get a long gun but you can own one hangun and something like this.

That said as others said this is not NFA till you add a stock or AOW with a foward grip

or to sum it up best TTAG :
    In the end, I’m left scratching my head as to the ultimate utility of this gizmo. Street price is about $310 for the standard model with a $110 up-charge for the Enhanced version.

Who is going to use it? Well, aside from a SIG whore like myself who will likely plunk down their cash for just about anything they make (yeah, I’m still trying to rationalize that 716 rifle I picked up a couple of months ago – like I really needed another .308), I’m not sure who would want one. As I noted earlier, if you want the benefits of a carbine, the Kel Tec Sub 2000 seems to make a lot more sense and you get a full gun for about the same price.

Another issue is that unless you own a SIG, you can’t be sure that your will fit this thing. It was clearly designed around the P220/P226/229 railed form factors and will likely work best with those guns only. Everything else is a crap shoot."

Gear Review: SIG Sauer Adaptive Carbine Platform | The Truth About Guns

It could be fun for range with a sling and a red dot .. But if we are going SBR there are lot more guns I sbr first then this
    tdave likes this.
    “Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.” H.L. Mencken
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

Quote Originally Posted by Longstreet View Post
    In the SIG community, the #1 question asked is......why?

I have no idea why anybody would want one.
    And we say the same thing about concealed carry badges and sashes.

The most useful thing I, personally, can think of is using it to mount an optic.

Links