Fiber Optic front sight- best for shade

This is a discussion on Fiber Optic front sight- best for shade within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Want to put a fiber optic front sight on my Ruger SR40C. Want it good in the shade. Which would be a good one. I ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By OpticsPlanet
  • 1 Post By BigDeal

Thread: Fiber Optic front sight- best for shade

Question Fiber Optic front sight- best for shade

Want to put a fiber optic front sight on my Ruger SR40C. Want it good in the shade. Which would be a good one. I read that the HiViz one is pretty small and hard to see.

2. Remove Ads

I have Dawson Precision front fiber optic sight. It works perfectly well in the shade.

What you might find makes a bigger difference than anything is when you install the fiber optic pipe, if you keep it all in the channel or let it round off a bit and form a bit of a bulb.

I agree with breakingcontact. I have replaced the actual fiber optic pipe in sights, and used a lighter to melt the ends. Double bonus - the dot becomes larger, and the "bulbs" at the ends anchor the fiber optic in the sight.

Disclaimer: If you burn your house down, it's not my fault.

Mark H.
    Kennydale likes this.

I agree with Breakingcontact & OpticsPlanet, melting the fiber optic rod when replacing them to "bulb" on the ends makes the sight brighter than if you don't. And although I haven't had the fiber optic sights nearly long enough to speak with certainty, the "Bulb" appears to secure the rod more securely. I did this to my sights 2 days ago as I didn't like the green they used and wanted the red installed, this bulbing method made the sights really stand out.

I use contrasting (yellow rears, red front dot) fiber optic sights on my G19. I think they're Hi-Viz. Happy in the shade.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

For some reason I find red works best in shaded areas and green in outside light. Depending on how much rod you have out the ends of the sight, you can heat and press to control the size of the dot to a degree. The bulb is mandatory to keep your rod secured, at least on my 10mm's it is. Dawson is quality stuff.

I had green and switched it out to red a few days ago, with summer coming I'm afraid green will wash out with all the green around in summer. It gave me the opportunity to change the rods for the first time, my front sight uses 1mm fiber optic rods, this is the smallest size offered, many use the 1.5mm rods. So as I began the task of melting the ends I formed a bulb that was a larger than the rod itself then while the bulb was still hot and pliable I flattened the bulb on both ends of the front sight. The results are great! A easily larger fiber optic is created, just by using this simple trick I have made a more usable front sight. But I'm sure anyone can get the same great results its pretty easy and if you make a mistake rods are cheap enough to try again till you get it done right.
    denclaste likes this.

Links