The Judge Dredd biometric trigger lock - Identilock

This is a discussion on The Judge Dredd biometric trigger lock - Identilock within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Wow. This video just pisses me off. How about you teach your kids NOT to point a gun in their face? And you know what's ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By farsidefan1
  • 1 Post By sonicblaze
  • 1 Post By Chad0724

Thread: The Judge Dredd biometric trigger lock - Identilock

Wow. This video just pisses me off. How about you teach your kids NOT to point a gun in their face? And you know what's slower then fumbling with keys? A faulty biometric lock that you try two or three times and fails to unlock and you have to get the key to override it anyways.

This Smart Attachment Makes Judge Dredd's Lawgiver Gun a Reality

2. Remove Ads

For the most part, I agree with you. However, I can see a use for that product. Lets say you're on vacation and you don't want to lug your pistol safe into your room - or staying with the in-laws or something. I know, big deal, right? Still, someone might rather have a safety mechanism like that for easy access to a firearm, but keep it relatively safe from someone fondling it. At home? I wouldn't use it.

Distinguished Member
    Smart guns are for stupid people
    357and40 likes this.
    Typos are for the entertainment of the reader. Don't let it go to your head

As an optional safety lock? Buyers choice mandatory requirement? Oh heck no!

If these are ever required by law, the law will have no knowledge of firearm ownership by me.

Quote Originally Posted by GXPWeasel View Post
    If these are ever required by law, the law will have no knowledge of firearm ownership by me.
    If these get required by law, I'm sure we'll hear about a lot of boats tipping over in lakes and all their guns just happened to be aboard :-)

I don't necessarily have a problem with the lock. It's another tool in someone's setup, that's fine. Albeit a $300 lock, which you could buy a decent small safe for.

It's the video that ticked me off more then anything, trying to use scare tactics to promote their product. "What if you can't get your keys to unlock your keyed lock fast enough while someone is walking up your stairs? What if your kid gets ahold of your gun and stares down the barrel?"

How about what if the bio lock fails, or is dead? Or it fails to unlock and binds up and you can't even get it open? I'll stick to mechanical, proven stuff for now :-)
    Lotus222 likes this.

VIP Member
    I'm sure that LE and military will be adopting this technology any day now. {Sarcasm}

Until then I think I'll give it a wide berth.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

Yes, their marketing is pretty terrible and the price is ridiculous. They would have to do a 180 on their marketing and get a realistic price before it would be realistically considered. Otherwise, it will probably fail. +1 that you can get a legitimate gun safe for around $300 with electronic keypads and a key backup. Probably biometric, if desired, too. Some people might actually purchase that thing if it was around $50, though.

Distinguished Member Array Nmuskier's Avatar
    I'm betting one good whack downward against a solid tale or countertop is going to send this thing flying.

If it works as well as my iPhone 5s finger print crap you are dead if you ever need to get that off in a hurry. Forget about unlocking it after eating Cheetos!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    357and40 likes this.
    Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet. – Gen James Mattis USMC

Another way to idiot-proof something that should never be in the hands of idiots...
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

TRX
    This lock... it's going to work with BOTH hands, and both hands of any authorized user (ie your spouse), and easily reprogrammable if you loan the gun to a friend or drop it off at the gunsmith, right?

And it's going to work when your hands are sweaty, or dirty, or covered with blood or mud? And it's going to look right through your gloves when it's -30 degrees outside?

The military and police would probably jump on something like that, being able to deny use of a captured weapon by an enemy or criminal, right?

Links