Sunglasses

This is a discussion on Sunglasses within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was thinking, we wear shooting glasses at the range, so what do we wear when CCWing. I do not own a pair of shooting ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: Sunglasses

Sunglasses

I was thinking, we wear shooting glasses at the range, so what do we wear when CCWing. I do not own a pair of shooting glasses with lenses dark enough for strong sunlight. I end up squinting and giving myself a headache. What would you folks recommend for me to use on a daily basis? Dark lenses are a must, changeable lenses would be cool but not necessary.

Thanks for you help.

2. Remove Ads

I dont think you need to wear glasses when cc'ing. You have much larger things to worry about then getting something in your eye or messing up your hearing if you have to draw and shoot in public.
    Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet. – Gen James Mattis USMC

Senior Member Array WannabeaCPA's Avatar
    I wear Berkley fishing glasses. But what Chad said is spot on.
    Gun control isn't about guns...it's about control. It also makes criminals out of otherwise law abiding citzens.

Lead Moderator
    Do what makes you comfortable, or what you need to do to stop squinting and getting headaches.

We all do lots of things on the range that we don't do while CCing. I wear hearing protection at the range, but not when I CC...
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

VIP Member
    I carry my own knife and fork just in case i am invited for dinner Just live your live with the creature comforts while on the move and at home .

If you have eye issues i would recommend you see eye dr.
    molleur likes this.
    Member of the NRA
    {A}RMS discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property...Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them
    1775 Thomas Paine
    Not afraid to live & Not afraid to die .

Quote Originally Posted by welder516 View Post
    I carry my own knife and fork just in case i am invited for dinner
    haha this made me giggle
    welder516 likes this.
    Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet. – Gen James Mattis USMC

I wear prescription glasses that are also safety glasses and photo sun glasses that change with the amount of light. If I walk into a dark room like a theater, I have to take them off since they don't change fast enough.
    denclaste likes this.
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

U.S. Army, Retired
    NRA Patron Life Member.

Oakleys
    kukla, OldVet and Martini13 like this.
    Carry means carry. That means all of the time. If you don't, you're just kidding yourself and opening up options for someone to take you down.

I am old an deaf an cant see my glasses are so thick I can look at a map an see people waving at me. Would take at least 230gr direct hit to penetrate. Wife told me if they were a little thicker could see the future.
    WannabeaCPA, sammeow and molleur like this.

Best money I ever spent on sunglasses was on a pair of the Maui Jim Fleming Beach model. Headaches used to go with wearing sunglasses for very long at a time until these. They are "bullet proof" and indestructible. They're made of that "memory metal" stuff. The counter salesman wadded up a pair and they popped right back. I'm not treating these that way however. The lenses don't seem to scratch at all, even with use and impromptu and improper cleaning methods. They've been the go-to sunglasses for driving and shooting for 2 1/2 years now. I'll move heaven and earth to locate them if I've left them behind somewhere or mislaid them, something I'm prone to do.

Fleming Beach | Maui Jim
    Jaeger likes this.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

VIP Member
    I always wear mirrored shades, even at night, so the suspicious characters can't tell whether I am scoping them out or not.
    WannabeaCPA and PEF like this.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Go to rx-safety.com. You can order Saftey sunglasses. I to have a couple Maui Jims and they are great, very spendy!!!
    Pan Optics and Wiley X make some very good sunglasses that are ANSI 87 approved.

Distinguished Member Array Doghandler's Avatar
    Yah, so I wear shades on a regular basis. I tend to gravitate to Maui Jim, Native, and Ray Ban brands. I wear contact lenses which seems to exacerbate my sun sensitivity. Sunglasses are one of my earthly weaknesses along with guns, knives, fir felt hats and "straw hats".

The polarized variety are a must. It makes a huge difference for glare remediation. Having said that I have an ESS Crossbow kit with a +1.0 diopter insert over the strong eye for range use which are not polarized. I only use the insert when I'm hmmm..... hmmm.... precision shooting.
    There is a solution but we are not Jedi... not yet.
    Doghandler

Distinguished Member Array AZJD1968's Avatar
    I have 6 pair of Oakley's and wear one of them constantly. I have HI Yellow, persimmon and clear lenses for nighttime and don't go anywhere without them. I also wear contact lenses, so for me, eye protection at all times is a must.

PS. I don't carry my own fork though.
    Stop whining and go do something that makes a difference!
    If you think that I may be talking to you, then I am.

VIP Member
    Maui Jim. Worn them for years.

I wear contacts as well so any time I am outside I have a pair on.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links