Defensive Carry banner

Is pepper spray legal in Mexico?

18K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  whitestone 
#1 ·
Well, is it?

I'm going to Nuevo Vallarta next week with family, and since it's illegal to possess even a single bullet in Mexico, I would like to at least carry my 2 oz. canister of Fox OC.

Also, is it legal to carry a folding pocket knife there? I don't want to carry the knife for defensive purposes, but it's always handy to have on hand. Thanks!

#3 ·
As one who travels frequently to Mexico, I never try to push the envelope there. Both the State Department and American Consulate in Tijuana web sites imply or directly say do not bring knives to Mexico. That's enough for me. If your knife is for non-defense purposes, the answer should be easy. Keep it at home. There are scissors and steak knives you can use when you get to your destination.

I also interpret pepper spray to be a weapon that could be considered prohibited in Mexico, so I don't take it with me. You are best served carrying little cash and keeping a low profile. Crimes and violence against American tourists are almost exclusively motivated by money. Stick to the good hotels and the tourist sections and travel during the day. That is a much better strategy than trying to bring weapons in for a potentially bad situation. Keep in mind as an American in Mexico you have no right to justice, fair treatment, or even prosecution of crimes against you. Though crime is a definite problem, I prefer not to have law enforcement against me as well by being discovered carrying anything that can be considered a weapon.

#6 ·
There's a lot of doom and gloom in the State Department description, but most every big city in the U.S. is as dangerous, only in a different way. It's all a matter of perspective and what you are used to. I've talked to law-abiding citizens from Mexico that are terrified to come to the U.S. because of the crime here. Over there they know if you get kidnapped or killed it's for your valuables or perceived family money. They think criminals here commit crimes just for fun.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.