Ballistol Believer

This is a discussion on Ballistol Believer within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Over the years I've tried a lot of products. There truly isn't one greatest - there's lots of quality products available. It seems there's almost ...

Like Tree8Likes
  • 2 Post By molleur
  • 2 Post By Rabbit212
  • 1 Post By Enzo411
  • 1 Post By RebelSoul
  • 1 Post By Nmuskier
  • 1 Post By cn262

Thread: Ballistol Believer

Ballistol Believer

Over the years I've tried a lot of products. There truly isn't one greatest - there's lots of quality products available. It seems there's almost as many cleaning solutions as there are firearms!

I can't really say why it took me so long to try Ballistol. I guess because it's not readily available in brick & mortar stores - as least in these parts. I finally broke down and ordered some online. Best deal I found was EBay. Oddly enough the major retailers wanted to force ship it UPS or FedEx at a rate of $15 b/c it is a "chemical". Odd since its all natural? Add $15 and it became a fools purchase. Thankfully the cowboys on EBay don't care and either ship it regular snail mail or even free! Score.

**ASIDE** My 2 day priority delivery (free!) actually took 6 days to arrive via USPS. Absurd.**

All my guns are clean atm, but I couldn't stand not using it so I gave my beloved S&W 686+ a wipe down and a lubing. Really slicked up the action. No kidding. All my revos got the treatment after that. Noticeably slick with just a drop. Needless to say all the kids got a thorough wipedown and lubing after the S&W turned out so good. It made my parkerized Citadel 1911 look like I had it refinished.

Tomorrow is range night so I'll get to see how it performs on a dirty gun but I'm really impressed with it as a polish/lube. Good for rubber, wood, plastic, and metal...so basically every part of every gun. Beautiful. Apparently it gets better the more you use it as well.

Personally I didn't find the smell offensive at all. Compared to some of the nasty chems I've sprayed on my guns in the past - it was downright pleasant. Ok, maybe not pleasant, but not nearly as bad as some folks would lead you to believe. Plus, I accidently sprayed some in my eye - oops! Try that with Breakfree...

Regardless, I'm a convert. Seems like a pretty good product to always have on hand.
    Duty is ours, consequences are God's.

- Stonewall Jackson

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member
    I exclusively use only two products.
    Ballistol and EEZOX. Rebelsoul, give EEZOX a try too.
    RebelSoul and robhic like this.
    "Don't shout for help at night, you may wake your neighbors"

Ballistol only here as well. Does everything I need.
    RebelSoul and Smarshe like this.
    Those are my principles, and if you don't like them.....well, I have others.

Love Ballistol. I don't know why that no one sells it locally.
    RebelSoul likes this.
    "If there is trouble, I stay here to help you. For your father -- for your father."

I used Ballistol for a while but found that Frog Lube worked better (for me at least). But, Frog Lube is somewhat of a pain to use (need to heat parts up for it to work best). Frog Lube also smells a lot better than Ballistol. Still, both work well and I would be happy with either.

Quote Originally Posted by molleur View Post
    I exclusively use only two products.
    Ballistol and EEZOX. Rebelsoul, give EEZOX a try too.
    I was using Eezox right up to this purchase. Good product. However, my GF seems to be allergic to it and seeing as how she's the queen bee when it comes to revo cleaning - I had to go another route. I'm hoping Ballistol being all natural will alleviate the problem b/c she's actually more psycho than me when it comes to cleaning guns!
    molleur likes this.

- Stonewall Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by cn262 View Post
    I used Ballistol for a while but found that Frog Lube worked better (for me at least). But, Frog Lube is somewhat of a pain to use (need to heat parts up for it to work best). Frog Lube also smells a lot better than Ballistol. Still, both work well and I would be happy with either.
    I've heard Frog Lube is great - but for me the cost is pretty extreme. I go through some cleaner - Gramps said you shoot it you clean it! We always shoot multiple guns too.

I'm afraid to use it b/c if I like it I won't be able to afford ammo! Ballistol isn't "cheap", but Frog Lube is really expensive.

- Stonewall Jackson

Distinguished Member Array Nmuskier's Avatar
    Ballistol is a medical grade mineral oil base. Mineral oil is a common light lubricant. Probably some cleaning properties (alcohol). It does penetrate well, thus provides some corrosion protection while it is present. How long does it persist?

Sounds similar to an aerosol Rem oil.
    StormRhydr likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by RebelSoul View Post
    I've heard Frog Lube is great - but for me the cost is pretty extreme. I go through some cleaner - Gramps said you shoot it you clean it! We always shoot multiple guns too.

I'm afraid to use it b/c if I like it I won't be able to afford ammo! Ballistol isn't "cheap", but Frog Lube is really expensive.
    Frog Lube is kind of expensive, but you don't use much so it goes very far. I paid about the same for two containers of Frog Lube (one each of liquid and paste) as I did for three smaller cans of Ballistol. I apply the Ballistol very liberally so the cost of use between the two is probably about the same. And, I clean a gun right after shooting, with the exception of multi-day training courses. With those they just get a wipe down (to remove sand and such) and a few drops of oil daily.
    RebelSoul likes this.

I use(d) Eezox exclusively until about 6 months ago. I had gotten a small spray can of Ballistol just to try. During the trial, I used some (and you'll really appreciate this part) I put some on the front of a SS revolver cylinder to clean the carbon rings. Eezox had worked all right but I wanted to see what Ballistol might do (Hickok 45 swears by it, so who am I to discount his advice?).

Well, I let it sit a while while I cleaned another pistol and got back to the revolver after around maybe 20 minutes. A lot of the carbon was suspended in the Ballistol! I took a scrubbing pad (for dishes) and gave the face a good workout and the rings just about came off completely! Wow! So I put some more on, gave it a few minutes and scrubbed again and it really got about 99.5% of the carbon off. The front face of the cylinder was almost totally SS again.

So I am very pleased with Ballistol. I now use Eezox to clean and lube most all of my firearms and use Ballistol for lube in some spots. But I definitely use it for revolver cylinders!!!
    -- Robert
    NRA Life Member

Links