Rifle questions...

Rifle questions...

This is a discussion on Rifle questions... within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I know this isn't a rifle forum, but I'm looking to invest in a rifle. I own an AR 15 but would like some thing ...

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree98Likes

Thread: Rifle questions...

Rifle questions...

I know this isn't a rifle forum, but I'm looking to invest in a rifle. I own an AR 15 but would like some thing more adequate for hunting.

My criteria is that the rifle must be adequate for hunting, but also useable for survival situations where I will be on foot, moving and walking and hunting.

I think .308 is the caliber I'm looking at, but if you have a reasonable opinion on another caliber, I'm all ears. I've been looking at Kimber's lineup, as well as Remington and savage. What are the opinions on here?

Also, if you have a forum to recommend, please do. Also tell me why you recommend. I'm not interested in "you need these 12 weapons, and here's why" responses. I can reasonable carry one more weapon and caliber of ammo and remain mobile.

Currently I have an AR 15, 1911, .22 survival rifle, and need a medium to large game rifle. That's all.
    Last edited by CPT_Rich; April 14th, 2014 at 09:47 PM.

OO7
    Remington 700
    ETXhiker and Eric357 like this.
    "I'd rather die a lion than live like a sheep."
    "The first step to winning a gun fight is having a gun on you."

I would look into the mossberg MVP. It is a bolt action that takes magazines. If you get the .223 model it will take your ar15 mags. Would be sufficient for hunting out to a few hundred yards. And would be easy to carry around as a survival rifle and just keep some ar15 mags in a pack and you dont have to keep reloading every 5 or so rounds.

VIP Member Array OutWestSystems's Avatar
    Remington 700. Was going to be what I would suggest. One of the best shooting .308s you can find.
    OO7, ETXhiker, Eric357 and 1 others like this.

Distinguished Member
    Look at the Ruger American series. Good prices and a big option on calibers.
    tdave, OO7, 5lima30ret and 2 others like this.
    NRA Member
    GOA Member
    US Army Vet

My father gave me his remington 700 chambered in 30.06 from the 60's. I love that rifle. I recently bought another 700 as a range / varmint rifle chambered in 223. Can't go wrong with them in my opinion.
    Eric357 likes this.

You say you want a hunting rifle. Do you have any game in particular that you are looking to hunt? What is the longest distance that you want to be able to, or are likely to shoot that game at?
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Considering they just recaled a crap ton of the model 700s for firing withouth hittign the trigger I say get a older model on that ..

AR-10 is a 308 AR
    And the MVP and other ruger 223 or 308 rifle would imop make dangy all around guns
    Bama61 likes this.
    “Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.” H.L. Mencken
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

A lot depends on what you want to hunt. A .270 Winchester, .308 Winchester or .30-06 Springfield are great all around hunting rifles for most of the larger game in North America. Ruger and CZ also make some great rifles. A good scope helps for longer range shots. A Marlin or Winchester lever-action 30-30 with iron sights has probably taken more deer that any other cartridge/rifle combination.
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

U.S. Army, Retired
    NRA Patron Life Member.

The people recommending the Rem 700 to you, are recommending one sweet rifle. Traditionally thought to be one of the very best mass production rifles.

I myself love them. I have had several, and taken a number of white tail with them.

And I sold them all. There are allegations that they are unsafe. Currently there is ANOTHER recall on them. Having to do with trigger issues.

If it was only me, I may well have kept my 700s. But I have a son. I could see either him or me, having the gun malfunction, and fire (when it should not fire), and one of us ending up dead. I couldnt live with that.

THEN, there was the thought of keeping them but not using them (which didnt make much sense), but was also potentially deadly. What if I were suddenly out of the picture, and my son, or his son not knowing of a defect, were killed or injured with them? So, I sold em.

I replaced them with a Tikka T3. And love it. Tikka T3 Rifles
    LimaCharlie and WrongRecroom like this.

Distinguished Member
    I'm just breaking in a Ruger Gunsite Scout for the same reasons as yours. A poor man's AR10. So far so good but I'm not done with the process.
    5lima30ret likes this.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

I hunt with a Remington 700 in 243, works well for me in the heavy brush of the South were the longest shot would be 150yards.
    5lima30ret likes this.
    Think like a man of action - Act like a man of thought

I have to laught at the 700 they put a new trigger system in it cause the old one fire for no reason or when you closed the bolt then the new one does the same thing

"Remington Arms Company, LLC (“Remington”) is voluntarily recalling Remington Model 700™ and Model Seven™ rifles with X-Mark Pro® (“XMP®”) triggers, manufactured from May 1, 2006 to April 9, 2014."
    PRODUCT SAFETY WARNING AND RECALL NOTICE REMINGTON MODEL 700? AND MODEL SEVEN? RIFLES
    BREAKING: Remington Recalls Model 700 and Model Seven Rifles for Trigger Trouble | The Truth About Guns

so avoid the XMP trigger ones .. Least you want the gun that will in fact maim on its on ..

Remington’s investigation determined that some XMP triggers might have excess bonding agent used in the assembly process, which could cause an unintentional discharge. Therefore, Remington is recalling ALL affected products to fully inspect and clean the XMP triggers with a specialized process.
    “Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.” H.L. Mencken
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

Well, let me head off in a different direction and suggest a lever-action rifle for your hunting and survival needs. Depending on what you're hunting, the Marlin 336/Winchester 94 chambered in .30-30 will take most North American game with decent shot placement out to 150 yards, maybe a little farther. These are fairly light and compact rifles that you can tote all day. Put a low-power scope on 'em or a good red dot, or keep it rugged with a receiver sight. Four inch accuracy at 100 yards with factory ammo, maybe better with your favorite handloads is something you can count on, without needing a bipod or a scope that costs more than the gun.

It's not the gun that the Rem 700 is, but if you don't need MOA accuracy out to 300 yards, you're not knocking down grizzlies or moose, you might get by with lighter artillery. Just something to weigh.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

VIP Member
    Winchester 100
    oldskeetshooter likes this.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Links