What's your 'off body EDC'?

This is a discussion on What's your 'off body EDC'? within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hope this is the right section! You know it amazes me what some folks carry. I'm a bit more minimalistic. In addition to the firearm, ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Romans5.8

Thread: What's your 'off body EDC'?

Hope this is the right section!

You know it amazes me what some folks carry. I'm a bit more minimalistic. In addition to the firearm, it's keys, wallet, knife (tool, not weapon. Got the weapon covered, heh), pen, cellphone and that's about it. Wow!

But, there are a lot of things I don't leave home without; even if I don't carry them.

Car:

First aid kit (trauma ready, with tourniquets and the like)
    Heavy blanket
    Even in the summer, it can get cold when stranded! I've used this once actually. Sudden ice storm, not forecasted. Roads got so bad so quick, there were a number of accidents. A paramedic was killed when an ambulance overturned. In the 30 minutes between the storm starting and me leaving where I was to go home immediately, and arriving about 6 miles down the road; they had closed the main road. This was at 7PM. I was woken up at 3:45AM by a firefighter instructing me I could go. Myself and about 30 or 40 other motorists spent the night in our cars. I was thankful to have a heavy blanket, because I only had a half a tank of gas! Sometimes it's not the middle of nowhere, but in fact a two-lane state highway just outside of town.

Change of clothes
    Jumper Cables

Motorcycle:

All of the above, minus the heavy blanket; and;

Rain Gear (forecasted or not)
    Change of clothes (T-Shirt and Gym shorts in waterproof storage)
    A few tools
    Bungie Straps

I never leave home without those things, they are always in my vehicle. What sort of things do you 'never leave home without' but don't actually carry on your person? (By the way, I even transfer these things into any vehicle I'm driving! With the exception of my wifes car who carries similar items).
    SouthernBoy likes this.

Same stuff here, pretty much.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk
    "Only Saints and Warriors are allowed in my world now, and forever."
    OR53 1998

after witnessing and being first to the driver after an accident two weeks ago. While wearing a tux, and my only tool being a small pocket knife. I've started researching contents for a kit to have in the car for instances like that and I think your list should be helpful! Do you have a bag you keep it all in? May I see some pictures if you have them?

...a firestarter kit in a old tic tac dispenser.

that's it, it's all I'll ever need...

well, I do got a bigger one, in a altoids box.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernBoy View Post
    after witnessing and being first to the driver after an accident two weeks ago. While wearing a tux, and my only tool being a small pocket knife. I've started researching contents for a kit to have in the car for instances like that and I think your list should be helpful! Do you have a bag you keep it all in? May I see some pictures if you have them?
    The first aid kit I bought online, I don't know much about them (as in which brands are better, etc.) but I made sure it had things like tourniquets and the like. The fact of the matter is bandaids and gauze aren't life saving tools. Any minor injuries can and should wait for the paramedics to arrive. While I still like having the bandages and minor burn cream and that sort of stuff (so if I get a little cut or scrape I can run to my car and get what I need); when it comes to coming up on the scene of an accident or being in one yourself; the type of injury that doesn't have time to wait for paramedics would be severe bleeding. You need to be able to get it stopped.

Like I said, the blanket comes in handy. Sometimes you don't need to pitch a tent in the woods and start a fire. A more realistic 'survival preparedness' is just to have a blanket to wait out the night. Conserve fuel by only running your engine (and thus heat) occasionally.

Goes without saying you need a spare tire and tools to change it. But I also keep a 'mini socket set' with pliers, side cutters, etc. on my motorcycle. I don't on the car, maybe I should. But it's good for minor roadside repairs. I also have roadside assistance with my insurance.

tag
    The only thing in my truck is a pair of sunglasses and an umbrella.
    YOU are the weapon, your firearm is just a tool!

VIP Member
    In addition to your motorcycle gear, I carry a tire repair kit with CO2 inflation cartridges.

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    In addition to your motorcycle gear, I carry a tire repair kit with CO2 inflation cartridges.
    I have spoked rims and tubed tires. Tire repair kits essentially don't work with that configuration. In an event I have a flat, I have to call my roadside assistance number! It's a big reason spokes are a pain (they look cool, heh). But it's a reality.

Slime in the tube supposedly works sometimes. Though it can also leak out and seep through spokes (that's the reason we need tubes, because spokes flex and warp and are not sealed) and gum things up.

In my truck I carry:

3 10# ABC fire extinguishers.
    GP FAK
    Survival Kit
    Jumper Cables
    Extra Oil, Tranny Fluid
    1 Carton Smokes.
    Insulated Wall Coveralls
    Road Triangle
    Orange Reflector Vest
    3 24" Orange Safety Cones.
    Water
    Extra Ammo
    Spare Tire w/Jack
    Misc. Small Tools.

Everything I carry I've used at one time or another. All the gear I carry began in 1985 roughly when I owned a 4x4. I carried more of everything back then as I had many adventures getting stuck. Come along 100 feet of cable and chains 2 spare tires...you get the picture?
    I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.
    America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.
    Give me Liberty or give me BACON!!!
    You know that look women give you when they want some sugar? Me neither

I don't have digital pictures. That's way too Hi tech for me. My Survival Kit is inside a WWII type German gas mask container. The FAK is inside a typical flat hinged metal First Aid box. I usually have a couple of MREs and assorted canned goods with me too. If the OP has questions ask me here or shoot me a PM.
    I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.
    America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.
    Give me Liberty or give me BACON!!!
    You know that look women give you when they want some sugar? Me neither

Distinguished Member
    Georgia..South of the mountains, north of the sand flies.
    I carry similar items. I do keep a poncho liner in the motorcycle bag. They take up very little room when squashed down properly.
    A wise man once said: "Bugout bag?..What's that? Is that all the junk you sidewalk commandos plan on humping when the SHTF...I'll grab a Nylon 66, a box of 22s and a poncho liner and in less than a week I will have all of your stuff and everything else that I need for the duration."

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality

This is my official off body carry...Keep it in the car when I'm driving, stays under my desk at work.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Links