BDU, Cargo, or Conceal pants Are they worth the price?

This is a discussion on BDU, Cargo, or Conceal pants Are they worth the price? within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I never heard of BDU until I came on this forum, and then I had to Google it. (for those you are noob like me, ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree45Likes

Thread: BDU, Cargo, or Conceal pants Are they worth the price?

Distinguished Member

I never heard of BDU until I came on this forum, and then I had to Google it. (for those you are noob like me, it stands for Battle Dress Uniform).
    I am looking for a good pair of pants where I can stash extra mags, flashlights, knives, flamethrowers (oops) you get the hint.
    I have had Cargo pants, and I can see they would work, but I read that BDU often have adjustable waist for when you are IWB.
    Then there is the Conceal pants that have a holster built into the pockets and they are made to support the weight of the gun.

I don't want TMI, but what have you found good to wear that gives you what you need, without making you sound like a dump truck walking with all the stuff hanging off your belt?

If you like what you have, where did you get them for the best price?
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Nehemiah 4:14: “Don’t be afraid of them. Remember the Lord who is great and awesome, and draw your PX4 & your CZ and fight for your brothers, your sons and your daughters, your wives and your homes.”

NRA Member
    Full Time Firearm Student

JD
    Administrator
    BDUs are not really ideal. Anything you carry on your legs with any wait is a pain in the rear. It bounces, it sags, they can even rub your legs raw.

VERTX are pretty good other than that give some 5.11 pants a try. For the most part I just use regular pants. I was pretty happy with my pants from Duluth trading company. But if I ever wear BDU pants again it will be too soon.

Sent via Tapatalk and still using real words.

Distinguished Member
    I don't use BDUs but I do have a pair of 5.11 pants that are ok. My preference is True Spec 24/7 pants. They have a pocket on each side for a pistol mag that does come in handy. They wear well adn are priced cheaper ($42) than the 5.11s.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    NRA Member
    GOA Member
    US Army Vet

Distinguished Member Array 5lima30ret's Avatar
    I prefer to wear something that doesn't scream I'm carrying a gun. I have always dressed like the proverbial "Grey Man" who blends in with my surroundings. For me cargo pants and the 5.11 type stuff just doesn't work for me. I wear mostly Carhartt and Dickies carpenters pants. They fit me well, are comfortable, and have deep enough pockets for when I pocket carry. They also allow me to blend in with all the other Appalachian Americans where I live. BTW, I have numerous sets of BDU's and 5.11 pants in my closet that I never wear. So I would say they are not worth it IMHO. Good luck!
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, NC CWP, HR-218 Qualified
    Second generation American, Third generation Legionnaire
    "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

I have 5.11 Tactical pants and they are nice but my Wrangler cargo pants do just fine. The Wranglers are much cheaper. My carry weapon is large and heavy so I've never tried conceal pants.
    gatorbait51 and molleur like this.
    “When they come--stay calm. It's a cannon!!!!!!!"

I buy Wrangler loose fit jeans at Bi-Mart.
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

U.S. Army, Retired
    NRA Patron Life Member.

+1 on the True Spec 24/7. LA Police Gear always seems to have good prices on them.
    TruSpec 247 Simply Tactical Pants

I stay with 2 brands and they are Blackhawk and Proper. Proper gives me the best fit because they come in even and odd waist size and they are reasonable in there pricing.
    molleur likes this.

I wear 5.11 Taclite pants at work, so I greatly enjoy my good ol' Levi 501's off duty. I spend plenty of hours carrying half of a jump kit in all my various pockets. At home it's wallet, pocket knife, spare mag. Don't need many pockets for those few items. The 5.11 pants are great and I can buy them for around $40 locally, I just don't want to wear them when I don't have to.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 5lima30ret View Post
    I prefer to wear something that doesn't scream I'm carrying a gun. I have always dressed like the proverbial "Grey Man" who blends in with my surroundings. For me cargo pants and the 5.11 type stuff just doesn't work for me. I wear mostly Carhartt and Dickies carpenters pants. They fit me well, are comfortable, and have deep enough pockets for when I pocket carry. They also allow me to blend in with all the other Appalachian Americans where I live. BTW, I have numerous sets of BDU's and 5.11 pants in my closet that I never wear. So I would say they are not worth it IMHO. Good luck!
    +1 for me. i live in semi-rural Colorado. i dress like the welder i am. a redneck even,(though not cowboy). Carharrts are not cheap. But they are stiff, durable, and worth every penny. try them on in the store, buy them big. it's AMAZING what you can hide inside a pair of bib over-alls.

Dress like a blue collar worker type and you can hide anything you want, and you'll be in durable clothes to boot. Nothing cramped my carrying style like taking an office/desk job. Now i have to dress business casual so it's next to impossible for to carry if I'm going somewhere after work w/out a change of clothes. Though a padded iPad case will take an automatic pistol and spare mag quite nicely...

the "adjusting" waist band on BDU's is a cruel joke. loading your cargo pads pckets w/stuff will drive you nuts. i spent big $$$ (to me) on one pair of concealed pants. meh. still needed a belt, felt like i couldn't draw as fast nor was it as comfortable as an old fashioned pair of loose pants, a good belt, and a favored holster.
    Beans, Bullets, and Bandages. The only thing better than being ready is not having to use it!

+1 on the True Spec 24/7. LA Police Gear always seems to have good prices on them.

Distinguished Member
    Waste of money, IMO. If you must, Propper's are the best.
    "Don't shout for help at night, you may wake your neighbors"

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    What I liked most when the Air Force adopted them is I no longer had to tuck my shirt in. The down side is that working on tight spaces on aircraft, something always snagged and ripped the pockets.

I wear cargo shorts primarily because that's all I can find without resorting to $75 fashion-designed name brands. I have found out that putting anything in the cargo pocket invariably gets washed. Mine are always empty. I would not spend a dime on anything of "tactical" design.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DonPablo_VA View Post
    How do the sizes run? fitted, roomy, etc.
    Thanks
    Nehemiah 4:14: “Don’t be afraid of them. Remember the Lord who is great and awesome, and draw your PX4 & your CZ and fight for your brothers, your sons and your daughters, your wives and your homes.”

NRA Member
    Full Time Firearm Student

VIP Member Array OutWestSystems's Avatar
    BDU pockets were made to cause pain to military folks. Anything you put in those nice big pockets is going to hurt you. You will either land on it or it will rub you wrong at some point.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links