The best hearing muffs?

The best hearing muffs?

This is a discussion on The best hearing muffs? within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Looking for a Grade A set of muffs, if there is such a thing. Using an indoor range with big caliber guys (and AR's!) near ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: The best hearing muffs?

Distinguished Member

The best hearing muffs?

Looking for a Grade A set of muffs, if there is such a thing. Using an indoor range with big caliber guys (and AR's!) near me. Price is not that big a deal, but then again, don't want to pay a bunch of bucks for some techno-fancy whatever that is really not all that good.

Currently, I'm using some generic muffs with the "little orange stuffies" (professional diction) in my canals.
    "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." Eccl. 10:2

Senior Member Array flintlock62's Avatar
    Standard, or electronic? Those thingies you stuff in your ear doesn't give enough protection from very loud noises. Just behind your ear, there is bone that transmits decibels into your ear, so the cheap foam inserts aren't too effective. I don't know how to properly describe it because I'm not an otologist.

Pro Ears Pro Tac Mag Gold NRR 30 Hearing Protections FREE S&H GS-PTM-L Black, GSPTMB, GS-PTM-L Green, GS-PTM Green. Pro-Ears Hearing Protection. If price is no object.

Safety Supplies Services Non electronic

I have been using the Peltor Tactical Pro muffs for a few years and love them. I paid ~$180/pair back then, and it looks like they are about $40 more now (Amazon.com: 3M Peltor SV Tactical Pro Hearing Protector: Home Improvement). These work well outside in windy conditions or inside ranges with more noise and echos. I was shooting shotgun inside a range last weekend (defensive shotgun course) and these worked great with that, too.

Here's a recent thread that might be helpful as well - Electronic Ear Muff Question

Nothing at all wrong with the Peltors you mentioned. The rating on those is 26db, the Pro Ears has a rating of 33db. They are cheaper than the Pro Ears.
    http://www.bestearprotectionforshoot...tection-guide/

Quote Originally Posted by cn262 View Post
    I have been using the Peltor Tactical Pro muffs for a few years and love them. I paid ~$180/pair back then, and it looks like they are about $40 more now (Amazon.com: 3M Peltor SV Tactical Pro Hearing Protector: Home Improvement). These work well outside in windy conditions or inside ranges with more noise and echos. I was shooting shotgun inside a range last weekend (defensive shotgun course) and these worked great with that, too.

Here's a recent thread that might be helpful as well - Electronic Ear Muff Question

Peltor makes good stuff. I would still wear muffs and plugs, even with the best muffs. Know a LEO firearms instructor that used the Peltors designed for shooting long guns with the thinner cups during classes and he noticed he started developing tinnitus. Switched to the full cup type with thick padding all around and the problem went away. Apparently those little bones can be damaged from sound going thru your noggin as well as directly through your ear canal.

I use Pro-Ear 33 [non- electronic]

I consider them the best out of all the muffs I have ever had the occasion to use or inspect.

I am not really into the electronic aspect of hearing protection as I have no pressing need to hear conversations. I can still hear shouts and commands just fine with standard muffs. Additionally, I have not seen any elec muffs that offer any better NRR than my standard muffs.
    Think like a man of action - Act like a man of thought

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by flintlock62 View Post
    Standard, or electronic? Those thingies you stuff in your ear doesn't give enough protection from very loud noises. Just behind your ear, there is bone that transmits decibels into your ear, so the cheap foam inserts aren't too effective. I don't know how to properly describe it because I'm not an otologist.

Pro Ears Pro Tac Mag Gold NRR 30 Hearing Protections FREE S&H GS-PTM-L Black, GSPTMB, GS-PTM-L Green, GS-PTM Green. Pro-Ears Hearing Protection. If price is no object.

Safety Supplies Services Non electronic
    Thanks, everyone, Good info too.
    Flint. I'm not a proctologist either. Not quite sure what that has to do with hearing unless the noise factor is damaging when you blow it out your, oh never mind.
    "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." Eccl. 10:2

I have a pair of Browning muffs that I bought from WalMart for around $30. Not sure what they're rated, but they work just fine for me, on the pistol range or the rifle range. They may not be anywhere near the best out there, but compared to plugs, they're awesome. I can stand right next to someone firing off a 308 Win. and experience no discomfort whatsoever. And they fit my head good too.

So, to me, it really just boils down to how much money you want to spend. Myself, I would rather spend less on a pair of muffs that work as well as I need them to, and more on guns and ammo. But that's just me...

If you're going to be at an indoor range you'll be far better off sticking with the combination of LOS (little orange stuffies) and muffs. That is about the only way to get true protection inside an inclosed area. That is about the toughest conditions to work with for hearing protection. There have been a few threads lately on the merits of different muffs here but if you're going to be mainly pistol shooting then I highly recommend the Howard Leight Impact Sport Pro version muffs. They have a 30 NRR and with a set of foam plugs backing these up you'll be in good shape for protecting your hearing. If you're going to be shooting rifles you may want to consider the plain Howard Leight Impact Sport model. It's a slightly lower on the NRR but they are slim enough to allow you to get a proper cheek weld when shooting rifles.

If you have a chance to try these side by side with the Peltor products you'll see why I switched out all of my hearing protection from Peltor to Howard Leight for my classes.
    North Carolina Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection and Basic Pistol Instructor

LOL! That's OTOLOGIST, not PROCTOLOGIST!

Quote Originally Posted by aznav View Post
    Thanks, everyone, Good info too.
    Flint. I'm not a proctologist either. Not quite sure what that has to do with hearing unless the noise factor is damaging when you blow it out your, oh never mind.

I'm using "Howard Leight R-03318 Leightning L3 Shooter's Premium Earmuff" and they do good for me in a loud indoor range.
    Nehemiah 4:14: “Don’t be afraid of them. Remember the Lord who is great and awesome, and draw your Beretta PX4 and fight for your brothers, your sons and your daughters, your wives and your homes.” highlighted added by LMP

I chose the pro ears gold because they had the best noise reduction and the best reaction time for the electronics and have been more than pleased.

Quote Originally Posted by flintlock62 View Post
    LOL! That's OTOLOGIST, not PROCTOLOGIST!
    Not pointing any fingers, but for some people, that would be the person to go to to hear better
    flintlock62 likes this.

Distinguished Member
    I believe in non-tech and cheap. I use ear plugs and the same Remington green plastic muffs I've had for years. Between the two I hear nothing. I shoot in an indoor range. It is all concrete so the sound really bounces around a lot. good luck
    Don't let the facts cloud your judgement.
    Bad luck has perfect timing Joe "the donster" deBunker
    Who you are speaks so loudly I can't hear what you're saying...Ralph Waldon Emerson
    NRA Member

Distinguished Member Array Hodad's Avatar
    What? I can't hear you!!! Speak up!!
    "Life is tough but it's really tough if you are stupid"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links