Horizontal Or Vertical Mag Carrier?

This is a discussion on Horizontal Or Vertical Mag Carrier? within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am trying to decide whether to buy a horizontal or vertical mag holder for my EDC Glock G17 Gen 4. I have looked at ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: Horizontal Or Vertical Mag Carrier?

Horizontal Or Vertical Mag Carrier?

I am trying to decide whether to buy a horizontal or vertical mag holder for my EDC Glock G17 Gen 4.

I have looked at the Magholder.com site a few times which sells a horizontal mag holder. I think a horizontal mag holder would lay right into my belt line and I think it would be more comfortable than a vertical mag holder sticking up next to my side.

Does anyone have thoughts or opinions which it better - horizontal or vertical and why?
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Train Hard - Be Safe

2. Remove Ads

I've been kicking around the idea of a horizontal mag holder for a while. The one issue I foresee it possibly having is it not being able to flow with the curve of your belt line and being uncomfortable and maybe "bulging" outward. A traditional mag holder is taking up 2 1/2in of real estate on your belt. The horizontal one is taking up a lot more.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Tactical Senior Junior Instructor Of Advanced Tactics
    The Gecko45 Tactical Academy of Tactically Stealth Tactics And Tactical Bad-Assery

If I was built like David Beckham I'd carry my spare mag vertically. But since I'm not I find it more comfortable to carry horizontally. They conceal very well and are very comfortable.
    joker1 and gatorbait51 like this.
    "When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions.” - Naguib Mahfouz

horizontal, because that is my training. i can sit comfortably without it digging in my gut, conceals easier, quicker, and i feel it is a much more natural movement. i can get a good solid (gross motor) grip on the mag too. the "scalpel" grip is a little too fine motor for my taste.

but i'm biased.

you can get mag holsters that allow for both styles of carry, just in case you decide to switch.
    gatorbait51 and OlCop like this.
    It's December 1941 in Casablanca, what time is it in New York?

VIP Member
    I tried, but couldn't like either style, so I have long carried spares in my front pocket.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

I use a horizontal one for the reasons listed above. No problems with it so far.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

horizontal but it bulges out badly
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Mine is vertical but canted forward the same as the holster with the bullets to the rear.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

U.S. Army, Retired
    NRA Patron Life Member.

Distinguished Member Array BadgerJ's Avatar
    I like the ones made by Kytex, extremely simple, very low profile. Vertical is the way to go. You choose comfort or utility. Get both and time yourself with a reload. Also horizontal holders have that noisy Velcro on the flap, which alerts people, takes time beyond a simple index and draw the magazine. Then you have to fumble somewhat to get it oriented to insert.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatrix View Post
    The one issue I foresee it possibly having is it not being able to flow with the curve of your belt line and being uncomfortable and maybe "bulging" outward. A traditional mag holder is taking up 2 1/2in of real estate on your belt. The horizontal one is taking up a lot more.
    That is exactly what I ran into when I tried the vertical mag holder, stuck out anywhere and everywhere I tried. I really thought and wanted it to work, but it was a no go.

I've been carrying in my front pocket too, but really want to get to carrying it on my waist again.

I will be trying a horizontal one again, that I will cant rearward and carry IWB across from my appendix holster. The spare mag has stumped and aggravated me to find a good carry setup for a while.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

As a LEO we carried them horizonal.

Several years later as a civilian I carry it vertical.

I can't give you a logical reason for either method I did

gatorbait51 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by LimaCharlie View Post
    Mine is vertical but canted forward the same as the holster with the bullets to the rear.
    Bullets to the rear is wrong, wrong, WRONG, and you sir are the Devil!

At least that's the consensus of folks on another forum when I raised the question of bullets forward or bullets facing back.

For folks that carry horizontally, how is the mag oriented? i.e., Front of the mag pointing forward, and pulling it toward the rear to remove? Bullets pointing up or down?
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    "Everybody wants to go to heaven, but nobody wants to die." Joe Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Rockymonster View Post
    For folks that carry horizontally, how is the mag oriented? i.e., Front of the mag pointing forward, and pulling it toward the rear to remove? Bullets pointing up or down?
    with the holster opening to the left, pulling mags to rear, i stage the mags with bullets facing down. i pop the snap with my support hand, pull the mag out to the rear and right in to the weapon. no twisting or anything.
    gatorbait51, Kennydale and OlCop like this.
    It's December 1941 in Casablanca, what time is it in New York?

Quote Originally Posted by vice87 View Post
    with the holster opening to the left, pulling mags to rear, i stage the mags with bullets facing down. i pop the snap with my support hand, pull the mag out to the rear and right in to the weapon. no twisting or anything.
    Sounds logical and straight forward!
    "Everybody wants to go to heaven, but nobody wants to die." Joe Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by vice87 View Post
    Thankyou. I needed that mental picture to see how it was done right. I might try Horizontal out one day.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    G-d, Make me fast and accurate. Let my aim be true and my hand faster than those who would seek to destroy me. And G-d if today is truly the day you call me home, then let me die in a pile of empty brass.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links