Shooting and Hearing Aids

This is a discussion on Shooting and Hearing Aids within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well, my wife has moved to that stage in life where using a bit of electronic aid to hear has become a reality. For others ...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By CowboyXDS
  • 3 Post By LuvMyPX4
  • 1 Post By tdave

Thread: Shooting and Hearing Aids

VIP Member

Shooting and Hearing Aids

Well, my wife has moved to that stage in life where using a bit of electronic aid to hear has become a reality. For others who wear hearing aids, when you go to the range, do you keep them on under muffs or remove them? It seems to me that removing them would be the best alternative, but then I don't wear hearing aids.

Side note - she did ask that I go to the appointment with her and I asked about electronic in the ear noise attenuation devices - I am getting a pair of those so I don't have to wear muffs. I am pretty stoked about that - especially at 3 or 4 day classes. Muffs are just a PITA.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

2. Remove Ads

I've been wearing hearing aids for almost 15 years. When shooting, I wear high quality ear plugs and high quality ear muffs. Don't want to lose the hearing ability that I have left.

It does make it difficult to hear range commands but I always check in with the range officer if there is one.
    foxytwo likes this.

I have been wearing hearing aids for a number of years, and I take them out and leave at home, when I go to range. I also don't want to lose what little hearing I have left.
    I often wondered how they would affect my follow up shots in a SD if I am wearing them with no ear muffs. Hope I don't have to find out.
    foxytwo, tdave and BamaT like this.
    Nehemiah 4:14: “Don’t be afraid of them. Remember the Lord who is great and awesome, and draw your Beretta PX4 and fight for your brothers, your sons and your daughters, your wives and your homes.” highlighted added by LMP

I'd still wear muffs - they protect you from sound vibrations that don't go directly through the ear canal. Also, no matter how good the plugs are they still don't get gunfire (140 to 190db) down to a safe range by themselves - only to ~110 db, still enough to do damage which starts at 85db.

I wear hearing aids. If I change the ear pieces to ones that are made of foam and work like foam ear plugs, I can leave the hearing aids on and they work just like electronic in the ear noise attenuation devices. They automatically shut off the sound if the sound is too great, and they work just like they normally would under normal sound conditions.

Bobo
    Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other"
    ~John Adams

Distinguished Member Array shadowwalker's Avatar
    Lets throw something else into the mix what about public incident do you take time to take them out, turn one off or excuse the pun bite the bullet and worry about it later ? The reason I say this is I am right on the verge of getting a pair and I have thought on the subject long and hard and I have made up my mind.

I wear hearing aids and take them out and leave them in the car when I get to the range, then I put in foam ear plugs and then muffs over the ears. I do not want to lose any more of my hearing and not wearing muffs will let the bone transfer noise to the ear.

Quote Originally Posted by LuvMyPX4 View Post
    I have been wearing hearing aids for a number of years, and I take them out and leave at home, when I go to range. I also don't want to lose what little hearing I have left.
    I often wondered how they would affect my follow up shots in a SD if I am wearing them with no ear muffs. Hope I don't have to find out.
    I am in the process of getting hearing aids. I don't intend to wear them while shooting. As to a defensive shooting? I hope neither of us ever find out.
    BamaT likes this.

When I got my hearing aids I was told that they would shut down if a loud noise came in. I still leave them at home when I go shooting.

The reason I don't trust electronic ear muffs or wearing hearing aids even with muffs on is that I know the hearing aids shut down as it detects the loud noise. But the bang is traveling at the speed of sound and will hit your eardrum and your hearing aid at the same time. So, your eardrum takes the Uber high sound vibrations for the time it takes the algorithm in the hearing aids to detect, process, and clamp the sound. This may only be a dozen or so microseconds, but it is still time to slightly damage your ears.
    just my $.02
    Nehemiah 4:14: “Don’t be afraid of them. Remember the Lord who is great and awesome, and draw your Beretta PX4 and fight for your brothers, your sons and your daughters, your wives and your homes.” highlighted added by LMP

Links