Pain in the Metatarsal

Pain in the Metatarsal

This is a discussion on Pain in the Metatarsal within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Does anyone have any experience with Redwing pull-on boots? I have developed a persistent low grade pain in my right foot in the metatarsals. There ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Pain in the Metatarsal

Question Pain in the Metatarsal

Does anyone have any experience with Redwing pull-on boots?

I have developed a persistent low grade pain in my right foot in the metatarsals. There are few cures, but good footwear is a must.

I have several pairs of Ariat pull-on boots, some Keen pull-ons, and will not wear shoes or lace-ups.

Hence, my questions:

Have folks found Redwings of great quality and worth the coin?

If not Redwing, what pull-ons in an 11" boot might you recommend?

Thanks in advance!

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

Distinguished Member Array 5lima30ret's Avatar
    My Dad wore them for many years and swore by them. Be aware that some Red Wings are NOT made in USA if that matters to you. I really like Georgia Boots (particularly the Farm & Ranch series), and Carolina Boots. My current slip-ons are Justin's that have been re-soled once already and are as comfortable as slippers!
    Rock and Glock and RemMod597 like this.
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, NC CWP, HR-218 Qualified
    Second generation American, Third generation Legionnaire
    "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

+1 on the Justin's, my current work boots and cowboy boots are made by them.
    I've had Redwings in the past and they have done quite well, both comfortable and long lasting.
    Democracy:
    Two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom:
    A well armed lamb contesting the vote.

Distinguished Member
    I've been wearing the same pair of Red Wing pull ons for years. 8" I believe they are, maybe 9". I have to check but I thought they were made here in the US. Cant check now, I've got a dog on my lap. All that behind and having been said, as times has passed I've worn them more and more. These are the kind of boots that I occasionally look at and hope I can replace with the same old thing.

More that I think on it....they're 9".

Good luck amigo.
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

Distinguished Member
    Guess I'll add one more thing. And you know this. Tires and footwear....you get what you pay for. No lace ups? Dude you're hard core.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

I'm not a doctor, but perhaps you should look into purchasing custom fitted and molded foot inserts.

No lace ups? Dude you're hard core.
    I wore really nice lace-ups for 35 years in a previous life. They spoiled me for fit and finish, but just don't work well out in the sticks.

Tires and footwear.......

purchasing custom fitted and molded foot inserts.
    I wear different boots everyday to give them a "rest" and let them dry out, so I like to rotate 3-4 pairs...........that's a lot of orthotecs. Off-the shelf orthotecs at $75 a pair........I'll try new boots first, but I agree, orthotecs may be what I need.

Having said that, rest, anti-inflammatories, and ice helps, so I probably can't talk anyone into steroid injections

The metatarsals just need a lot of cushioning as one ages - the "fat" pads thin out and offer less padding. I thought about a fat transplant, but that doesn't sound too fun

The Redwings do have a 30 Day Comfort Money Back No Question guarantee too.
    Last edited by Rock and Glock; May 8th, 2014 at 10:47 AM.

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

Most of the Ironworkers I worked with only wore redd wings crepe soles long lasting very comfy. Not a fan of pull ons they stretch out an get sloppy feeling. Reds are worth the money actually went thru several soles on a pair great boots.
    Rock and Glock likes this.

Administrator
    I really like the 5.11 A.T.A.C. Storm boots with the side zippers.

The side zip feature is fantastic. These are the most comfortable boots that I have found to date.

I will never own another pair of boots without Side Zips.

You lace them up just the way you want them and then just use the zipper to get them on and off.

Since I had a torn Achilles a while back I DO put the Dr. Scholls GEL Soles in the boots. It's a perfect combination for me.

They are NOT a "lifetime boot" though. I pretty much wear out a pair every 2 years. I have a few spanky new pairs socked away for S.H.T.F.

But, hey...I appreciate the extreme comfort so I am willing to sacrifice some durability.

There is a very thin "waterproofing rubber membrane" behind the side zipper. That makes them slightly more difficult to get on SO....I just trim that away and occasionally wax the zipper. Problem solved.

CWOUSCG and Rock and Glock like this.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Not a Redwing fan here (I mean the boot not hockey team). worked for a industrial gas company that had an employee account at Redwing. Bought one of their boots , it didn't last 4 months (I've had Cheapo Wal Mart work boots last a year. Sorry i think they are over rated.
    QKShooter likes this.
    "A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves !"
    Edwards R. Murrow

Like QKShooter, I like the side zip boots. I'm a fan of Bates models with ICS adjustment (old style, not so much the new ICS Nitro). I've had a pair for 3 years, use them a lot, and find them extremely comfortable. With the side zip they are probably easier to get into and out of than pull-up boots. And the ICS system allows you to adjust the cant of your foot for maximum comfort. They're mid-priced boots but are a good value. Worth trying a pair out to see how that might work for you.
    QKShooter likes this.

I too love the side zip boots. Mine are Danner and are the most comfortable shoe I have ever worn.
    QKShooter likes this.

Distinguished Member Array CWOUSCG's Avatar
    Another fan of side zip. I have a pair of Converse boots, very comfortable and breathable. Steel toed and a great sole for steel decks. Also had good luck with Rocky's.

To your original question, have a pair of Redwings that are over 25 yrs old so can't comment on current quality but grapevine says not as good as they used to be.
    QKShooter likes this.

"If someone gets into your house which would you rather have, a handgun or a phone? You can call the police if you want, and they’ll get there; and they’ll take a picture of your dead body."

I talked to the Redwing store owner yesterday at length. He preferred I try out a $60 insole in my existing boots (which are still in great shape) rather than sell me a new pair of boots. I appreciated his honesty and objectivity. My old insoles (in the Ariat work boots) were fairly worn. Hence, I am now trying a new pair of insoles that support my arch more to take pressure off of the metatarsals.

While I was there, however, I bought a new pair of shoes along with new insoles. These are a slip on, and so far I am very happy.

I'll keep ya'll informed as matters progress. I'll be back in the store next week (my wife found a pair of shoes they had to order) so I'll be monitoring my progress. I have two other pairs of nice workboots an insole might fix.

Thank you for the insights, folks! I appreciate the ideas and comments!

VIP Member
    I have a very high arch and have the same issue if I don't get good support. But the full length supports crowd my toes in the toe box. I use the airthotic footbed support by Danner that supports the heel and the arch well and has solved the problem. (losing weight helped also)

Danner - Airthotic M - Footbeds - Accessories
    21 years and 21 days, United States Marine Corps.

The line of hard men willing to rain violence on our enemies so you can sleep warmly and safely in your bed at night continues. That's what we do. Semper fi.

NRA Life Member since 1972

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links