Recommendations for a good flashlight needed

This is a discussion on Recommendations for a good flashlight needed within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Q-Ball, Thanks for the feedback on the Streamlights. I found this same NF-2 light selling else where for as much as $89.99, the average being ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Recommendations for a good flashlight needed

Q-Ball,
    Thanks for the feedback on the Streamlights. I found this same NF-2 light selling else where for as much as $89.99, the average being $50, so at $39.00 IT WAS A STEAL.

Glock21 Guy
    You are right, if you load the higher output bulb into the G2 it cuts your battery life to 20 min, this was a good selling point for the NF-2 is that it has a run time of 60 min. I will be sure to post pics and a honest review when it gets here.
    Thanks for all the help.
    NCHornet
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

2. Remove Ads

Lead Moderator
    Streamlights are good, but I still prefer my G2. Better finish to resist wear, lighter weight. Whatever you end up with, it probably will not be the last light you buy.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

yup you will have it for the rest of your life...unless you lose it! I used to swear by surefire, but since dealing with streamlight they have been my company of choice. I kept losing my flashlights so now I just keep a cheap replaceable mag light with and often have a flashlight/laser attached to one of my guns so I always know where it is as a backup.

I like the Surefire line of flashlights. Very bright, compact, rugged, and reliable. I carry the E2D defender with the bazel strike cap. It can be used as an impact weapon. The G2 is just as good and about 80 bucks less than the E2D.

The G2 is only 38.00 on the surefire website! WOW for a price like that I would be happy to pick one up!
    I carry because I care.
    "An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject."
    "Cling to the Father and His Holy name, and don't go riding on the Long Black Train" - Josh Turner

Gelicious,
    I would check out the Streamline NF-2 before buying the G2. The NF-2 is the same price but with more features and better light output and longer battery life and lifetime warranty.
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

I will do that. My local sportsmans warehouse has the surefire in stock... i might check them both out hands on if they carry them. Thanks for the info!

EDit: I just checked it out... there are some pros, but one con that really bugs me is the adjustable spot to flood beam. In a tac light I like the fixed beam setup for personal carry \defence. There is no chance of the focus being messed with while in your pocket and when you need the spot beam to maybe blind an attacker it wont be there, it will have ajusted on "accident" to flood.

For my own personal peice of mind, ill go with the lower battery life surefire. I think 20 mins is perfect. Hopefully Ill never need to use 120 lumens for 20 minutes. I have another tac light made by coast that is really nice. and that I currently carry has been used ALOT (lots of power blackouts on the coast of oregon) on the same three AAA batteries! So this surefire would be just for a personal carry light\weapon light.

Thanks for the compairison! I dont mind keeping an open mind to other options, but right now the surefire is going to fit my needs just fine!
    Last edited by Gelicious; January 7th, 2007 at 02:43 PM. Reason: new info
    I carry because I care.
    "Cling to the Father and His Holy name, and don't go riding on the Long Black Train" - Josh Turner

I still say, for an everyday carry light the one I carry is perfect. It is a Coast Cutlery Tactorch. It uses a 1.25 watt white LED and runs on 3 AAA batteries. You get a full power beam for 90 minutes and it drops to about half power after that and will run for another 3 hours at half power. The batteries are cheap and available everywhere.

It runs about $35 and can be bought at many different polaces. I got mine at Lowes.

The fact that it runs on regular AAA batteries was what really sold me on it. I didn't want to have to look for special batteries like the CR123's that cost a couple of dollars each.

Here's a link:

http://www.coastcutlery.com/displayP...2%BF&mastCat=5
    Last edited by TN_Mike; January 7th, 2007 at 09:12 PM. Reason: added a link
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

HAHAH Funny funny! PT I have that exact same one! I got mine at costco! I like the same features you do about yours. I think the 3 aaa batteries are pretty darn good for it. I thought about something a little brighter for ccw though... I use this coast one for everything else. It is tough and really good for the 39.99 i paid for it
    I carry because I care.

The Coast light doesn't spec the lumen rating is and I want something at least 100 lumens. The articles I have read on using a tactical light in a SD situation all recommend at least 100 lumens.

Gleicious,
    I can understand what you are saying, except the streamlights that I have used in the past, you have to apply pretty good pressure to adjust the focal setting, nothing happening accidental. I did not buy this just for a tactical tool, It will probably be used a thousand to one for everyday flashlight needs. Yes I have others but this one will always be handy and therefore will get the majority of my usgae. Therefore the adjustable beam is a plus for my needs, also it will be carried on my belt, so no chance of adjusting the beam accidently. We all purchase what we think meets our needs the best. I will say everything I have read about the G2 has been good and I am sure it will serve you well.
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

Quote Originally Posted by NCHornet View Post
    The Coast light doesn't spec the lumen rating is and I want something at least 100 lumens. The articles I have read on using a tactical light in a SD situation all recommend at least 100 lumens.

Gleicious,
    I can understand what you are saying, except the streamlights that I have used in the past, you have to apply pretty good pressure to adjust the focal setting, nothing happening accidental. I did not buy this just for a tactical tool, It will probably be used a thousand to one for everyday flashlight needs. Yes I have others but this one will always be handy and therefore will get the majority of my usgae. Therefore the adjustable beam is a plus for my needs, also it will be carried on my belt, so no chance of adjusting the beam accidently. We all purchase what we think meets our needs the best. I will say everything I have read about the G2 has been good and I am sure it will serve you well.
    I made the trip to my local sportsmans warehouse today. I was able to handle both flashlights. the G2 and the Streamlite. The g2 seemed brighter and easier to handle but it was alot bulkier than what im really looking for. The streamlight was nice but that belt clip\ring was annoying. I ended up not getting eigther one. The Coast tac light i think will serve me fine for a little while longer. That is untill i save up enough for the surefire E2D! that thing was nice!!! very well blanaced! but at 110.00 it was just out of my reach this payday. So I lucked out and got a spare mag for my millenium pro for only 24.99 and some other things i wanted. Next time Ill get the surefire e2d. it really was a great light!

Hope your streamlight serves you well!
    I carry because I care.

I haven't used any of the surefire or streamlights, or any other "tactical" lights. I did convert two 2-AA battery Mini-Maglights to LED using a kit from Lowes. Not bad, but not enough for more than finding that screw that dropped when you were fixing the kid's toys.

Then I found a 9 LED light at Lowes that uses 3-AAA. Good and bright and runs about 80 hours on the batteries. We live in the country with little light pollution and it's worked well around the yard at night finding the dogs or other critters. It's only $14.97.

I don't expect to need a light for tactical purposes, so this'll do very nicely.
    The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good.

George Washington

I have several G2s that live around the house and in our vehicles. I also have a G2-Z for carry purposes. I'm sold on SureFire for durability and and reliability. By shopping on eBay, you can mitigate the cost of the batteries.
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

I pocket carry the Surefire E2E with the high output bulb. I also have a couple of G2's, and a Z2, and a Z3, and a 9P. For me the G2 is too bulky for every day pocket carry. The two Z models are each stashed in the house along with a hangun. The 9P is in my truck, and one of the G2's is in my wifes car.
    P.E.T.A = People eating tasty animals

There is room for all of God's creatures. Right next to the mashed potatoes.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by purple88yj View Post
    I have the Surefire G2 in OD green, but I am thinking about theBlackhawk Gladius. I like the strobe feature as well as the momentary and constant features.
    I've got the Gladius and it is a nice light but kinda big to carry. I actually use my G-2 more!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links