Recommendations for a good flashlight needed

This is a discussion on Recommendations for a good flashlight needed within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I want to add a flashlight to my list of daily (nightly) carry items. I would like to hear from some of you who have ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

I want to add a flashlight to my list of daily (nightly) carry items. I would like to hear from some of you who have actually owned these flashlights as to what to look for, size , lumens etc..
    It will be mainly pocket carried, although I may end up buying a belt holster for it as well. I was looking at the Surelight's but they have so many different types it is hard to choose. I actually liked the looks of the G2, at about 4.5" long it would be easy to conceal, it's output was 65 lumens for 60 min or 120 lumens for 20 min. I would like any suggestions on this subject.
    Thanks
    NCHornet
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    I have one of these:
    http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=235939
    It's a great light, but batteries are VERY expensive and have a VERY short life (60 minutes). If you get one, buy a bunch of spare batteries.
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

Surefire L2

I carry an Surefire L2 everywhere 60/120 lumens. It's expensive, but I travel a lot and it's the only thing I'm allowed to carry on a plane.

I used to carry an surefire E1e until I took a shooting class with Jeff Gonzales - We did a night shoot and those 60 lumens couldn't cut it. One of the other students lent me his 120 lumen spare so I could actually see the targets.
    Jeff also did a night vision test where he shined a 120 lumen light in your eyes and then you had to see how long it took for your night vision to return. 120 lumens made a believer out of me as it was very disorienting and it took me more than a minute for my vision to get to the point that I could see a target and shoot.

Nothing less than 120 lumens for me.

I carry a G2 with the 120 lumen head. Very happy with it especially at it's price point. I also agree that I like 100 lumens and above for a taclight.
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

Man there are so many choices out there but since you brought up the G2 I think it is a great light and for the money ya can't beat it. I have several light's now and find I pick up either my G2 or my Streamlight Scorpion, two of the least expensive light's I have (shrugging shoulders) unless I need a serious torch then it's the BOREALIS I'm picking up.

I also like the higher lumens for carry and have the 120 lumen lamp for my G2 but now have the Z2 that get's the nod out and about. The Z2 is a quality light. I either carry it or my A2 depending on what I am doing.

Ti.
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

Distinguished Member Array lowflyer's Avatar
    I have a SureFire C2 and love it, but I never carry it since when I go out at night, I stay in well-lit areas mostly. It stays in my night stand and mostly gets used for looking in kids' ears and throats or as an aid in splinter removals.
    Whatever doesn't kill you postpones the inevitable.

I am leading towards the G2, I think it is a great deal for the price. I will also buy the 120 lamp for it. How accurate is the advertising on the 20 min lifespan using the 120 lamp? How long do the bulbs usually last?
    I have one of the maglite rechargeable units that use to be standard for leo's 15-20 years ago. I have been through several battery packs and a few bulbs and a couple triggers, I am not putting another cent into it.
    Thanks for the info.

I found this light on another post. Many seem to really like it. It is called a Dorcy Spider. On the website it says 72 lumen but one of the members said it says 120 lumen on the box, and he believed the website was wrong. I can't see where the push button is, I like the idea of having it at the end of the light. Does anybody have any first hand experience with one of these. It's only $21.00 and it's made in Taiwan. I normally don't buy tools made in Taiwan, but for all I know the G2 might be made there as well, everything else is?
    http://www.brightguy.com/products/Do...Flashlight.php
    Last edited by NCHornet; January 6th, 2007 at 12:44 PM.
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

I have the Surefire G2 in OD green, but I am thinking about theBlackhawk Gladius. I like the strobe feature as well as the momentary and constant features.

Got to check out the Gladius a few months ago. One very, very fine flashlight! Just out of my price range......
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

Well if I go with the G2, I need to buy the 120 lumen bulb for another $25. Then I found the streamlight scorpion, not only is it even cheaper but it puts out a full 114 lumen right out of the box and it has an adjustable beam. The G2 only has a battery life of 20 min with the 120 lumen bulb. The scorpion has a full 1 hour with the stock 114 lumen bulb, I think I may have just found mt new light. Still taking suggestions. I will check out the BlackHawk.
    Thanks
    Edit:
    Checked out the Blachawk, nice light but also out of my price range.
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

I believe I found a better deal. I found a Streamlight NF-2 Night Fighter tactical light for $38.00. Has the same power as the scorpion (100 lumens) along with a pocket clip, finger grip ring and a lanyard. It also has a full lifetime warranty. I will give a report when it arrives.
    Here is a link

http://www.streamlight.com/product/product.aspx?pid=31
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    Stock up on your CR123A batteries from http://www.amondotech.com/index.asp?...S&Category=241. At $1 each, that's well within reasonable comparison to commercial high quality alkaline pricing.

Got a brinkman rechargeable from academy for 28 bucks. Good light, rechargeable battery pack, rubber grips, push button style, about 8 in. long, perfect for someone who wants to use their light at will and not worry about replacement batteries, especially if there's no department to repalce them. Bottom line, when you want light, it's there, no more worries about expensive batteries.
    Attached Images
    Kenny G is allowed to live because Chuck Norris doesn't kill women.
    http://www.chucknorrisfacts.com

Seems like you made up your mind on a good light. Can't go wrong with Streamlights...I know plenty of officers that have a Streamlight for their primary and backup lights.

I currently don't have any Streamlights; but I have a G2 with the P61 lamp (120 Lumens), a 6P with the P60 lamp (65 Lumens), Inova X5 (20 Lumens?), MiniMag with Nighteyez LED, and a newly aquired Huntlight FT-02XJ (LED light rated at 80 Lumens).

I like my G2, but I don't use it much because of battery drain, so it stays on my duty belt and not for personal use.

My 6P is my nightstand light that I use frequently for bumps in the night.

Don't use my Inova much, kind of a weak light. However, when the batteries drain from my Surefires, they still have some life in them for the Inova.

Have used the MiniMag conversion much either, mainly because it doesn't have a tailcap switch. It's a good camplight for the kids...

I'm most impressed by the Huntlight. It will run for 3 hours on one CR123 or two AA's (with an extender tube). I mainly use it with the CR123 because the battery will last a long time if not used and it's shorter so it fits in my pocket. This is my new daily carry light when I'm not working.

Make sure to post some beamshots!
    Seek safety at the heart of danger.

Live Easy, Die Hard

If you like he Harries technique, then the G2 is a good choice. Great price, and is shock resistance. If you like the SureFire technique then I would suggest the G2Z vs. Z2. Once again good price, and shock resistance.

Preforming the Harris technique properly is ruff on my arms. So I like the SureFire technique with a G2Z.

I have 2 G2, and one Sreamlight Scorpion. Given they are just about the same price the G2 is a better light. I also have a TLR-1, the supper bright LED is amazing. The Scorpion is also available with the same LED set up as the TLR-1. But at a higher cost.

The P60 will cause the BG to look away. It may not blind him/her for as long as the P61. But given longer runtime, and lesser cost for the bulb it is my choice.
    Last edited by glock21guy; January 7th, 2007 at 12:19 AM.
    Aaron

If you don't protect your self, who will?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links