AA battery weapon light

This is a discussion on AA battery weapon light within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I currently have an Insight M6 with laser, non-led version. Nowadays everything is LED and I'm looking for a new light What do you all ...

Thread: AA battery weapon light

New Member Array TuesdayShooter's Avatar

AA battery weapon light

I currently have an Insight M6 with laser, non-led version. Nowadays everything is LED and I'm looking for a new light
    What do you all think about AA battery powered lights?
    I found an one made by Insight, it's WL-1. Powered by 2 AA batteries and can be had without the laser which is what I'm looking for.
    cost is 170

Visited a local store and they had a Field Sport Q3, when he showed me the box, it had a single AA battery in it and it was 35 bucks.
    But looked up the web and it says CR 123.

Given the price difference, which would you go for?

thanks.

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    I'd think a AA powered light wouldn't have the output or battery life I'd expect from a WML- that said, I've never tried any of them.
    "Just blame Sixto"

What kind of light are you looking for? I just posted up a review of the Fenix LD12, which is powered by a single AA battery. Do you want to mount it to a long gun?

New Member Array TuesdayShooter's Avatar
    Yhe ones that mount to rail on a handgun

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    Been there..

1.) The CR123 has more run time in a given application than that of the AA cells with respect to the battery load.
    2.) When a LED device powered with a CR123, when the battery gets low it will often cause the LED to have a strobe effect.
    3.) AA batteries are will often power a LED light down to near nothing so the LED does not just fade to darkness.
    3.) AA batteries are far more easy to come by and are far less expensive the CR123 cells.

I honestly have mixed emotions, as you can see, on either battery but if I had to choose a battery for a light, it would be the CR123 cells. If for a laser, (think Eotech A511/512 series) I would go the AA route.

My best!

D~
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

Links