I bought a boat

This is a discussion on I bought a boat within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; OK gang need a little help here. I just got the deal of a lifetime on a 2 year old barely used pontoon boat. The ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree44Likes

Thread: I bought a boat

I bought a boat

OK gang need a little help here. I just got the deal of a lifetime on a 2 year old barely used pontoon boat. The family and I will probably be spending every weekend for the rest of the summer out on the lake on it. I am looking for a way to securely store a handgun or two on it. I will likely be in swim trunks and in and out of the water so carrying on person isn't really practical.
    Here are my requirements for any such gun case/safe:
    1. Lockable- I don't need something to keep an arch criminal out, just enough security to keep my 6 year old daughter out.
    2. Not a permanent install- something I can carry off the boat at the end of the day.
    3. Accessible- prefer no keys and something I can get into in a few seconds if the need arises.
    4. FLOATS!!!!- something that will float if accidentally knocked overboard.

Requirement #4 is where I am having trouble, I have found many options that fit requirements 1,2 & 3 but none that fit all 4.

Any suggestions???

2. Remove Ads

How about one of those Hardigg/Pelican storm (or similar) floating security cases, with a suitable quick-access lock? You could get it in day-glow yellow or orange, tie it to the boat, and have a lock on it. Bring it aboard when you arrive; open it if needed; take it with you when done.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

ccw9mm gave you the gold star recommendation. The pelican cases are water proof, they float, and you could cable lock the case handle to a railing to keep it from walking off at the dock and then you just need to figure out a pad lock that you can keep the key around your neck and your good to go.

I've used pelican cases a number of years and they are worth every cent they cost. Look at the Pelican 1200, that's big enough for a gun in holster with several spare mags and still have room for your wallet, cell phone and any thing else you want to keep dry and secure.

Edit to add:

Rumor has it that the Pelican 1200 will hold 10 AR15 30 round mags just perfectly with no rattle. That's rumor though.
    Recon1342 and msgt/ret like this.
    North Carolina Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection and Basic Pistol Instructor

There are biometric, fingerprint type padlocks.

There are also push-button padlocks.

Nothing that would keep someone with a bolt cutter from entering it, but it'll surely keep out a 2yr old child and the average drunk family member.
    notavictim likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by NC Bullseye View Post
    The pelican cases are water proof, they float, and you could cable lock the case handle to a railing to keep it from walking off worth every cent they cost.
    They're also darned near indestructible short of running them over with a Sherman tank, if you select the right one. Stout little buggers.
    Recon1342 and manolito like this.

I go out on the water with a friend of mine who has a boat. He has one of the Pelican cases,but,it doesn't look as nice as those CCW9mm posted.

I think he told me he got it from Cabela's and it was like $25.00.

Administrator
    Check this one out.
    They do not give dimensions for this one. 56 Quart. Might be larger than you want?

Plano Molding 56 Quart Bone Collector Storage Trunk 161920 Dry Box | eBay

Even though these are already very water resistant you can always just fit a large piece of Styrofoam in the bottom and then it will always float even if it fills with water.

But, if it takes an accidental dunk in the drink you should have plenty of time to just snatch it without the Styrofoam.

If you think this may be a little large you can search Plano Dry Storage Box....smaller but, they are not lockable.
    SO....you would have to add a latch that you could put a padlock through.

You can keep that added latch waterproof by using bolts and washers with added rubber washers to make a waterproof seal for the holes that you will need to drill.

Either of these would be your least expensive way out.
    Aceoky likes this.

Administrator

Administrator
    The Pelican cases are fantastic but, possibly more $$$ than he wants to spend.

Distinguished Member Array 5lima30ret's Avatar
    I have a locking glove box on my pontoon boat. I just had the the grand nieces and nephews out on the lake today. (I didn't have a ccw with me but I have several things on the boat that could have been used for defensive purposes. Dry chemical fire extinguisher, 12 ga signal flare gun, knife, gaff hook, etc. Have you checked out the Nano Vault? They are reasonably priced (less than $25) and fairly secure for their intended purpose. Good luck and enjoy the pontoon boat!
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, NC CWP, HR-218 Qualified
    Second generation American, Third generation Legionnaire
    "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

Congrats! You know what they say... the two happiest days of a boat owners life are:

1. The day they bought the boat
    2. The day they sold the boat
    CWOUSCG, RickyD, Hoganbeg and 3 others like this.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Quote Originally Posted by Brad426 View Post
    Congrats! You know what they say... the two happiest days of a boat owners life are:

1. The day they bought the boat
    2. The day they sold the boat
    How true that is.

Yeah, and imagine how much you'll recoup upon sale of the Hardigg storm case once the boat's gone. Heck, with some of those cases, the price might well fund a nice sidearm.

Distinguished Member Array shadowwalker's Avatar
    I would not go with anything electric water is the bad guy better off with push button lock with a cable put some stickers on it looks like tackle box, if it were me I would go with a FT Knox but that's me and no more boats for me.

There's a reason the military uses pelican cases for EVERYTHING... They just plain work. Go with the pelican, you'll be happy you spent the extra $$$.
    Aceoky likes this.
    For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf,
    and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.
    -Rudyard Kipling

As a scuba diver I have been sorely disappointed by a number of products that were promised to be "waterproof". Some pretty expensive lessons. Pelican is pricey but does as promised. Nothing else makes me feel warm fuzzy and dry. 2 out of 3 makes me cranky, but seriously, just don't sink the boat then all you need are the first 3 on your list. Mine stays in my glove box, but I don't leave the boat without it (don't swim in lakes anymore and all my diving is in warm tropical places that don't allow me to carry).

Note, the way I had it explained to me was that if you want to buy a boat go into the bathroom, drop a $100 bill in the toilette and flush it. If you don't try to snatch it before it goes down then you are ready to get that boat. Experience has proven that more than that is needed for an adequate test.
    Typos are for the entertainment of the reader. Don't let it go to your head

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links