Finally a light for M&P Shield

This is a discussion on Finally a light for M&P Shield within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Viridian light. I see they have an auto on "feature" when using their holster. Anyone know if you can just use this like a normal ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Finally a light for M&P Shield

Viridian light.

I see they have an auto on "feature" when using their holster. Anyone know if you can just use this like a normal weapon light? By that i mean controlling the light manually.
    patri0t likes this.

Viridian Reactor 5 Green Laser Sight Review - S&W Shield | Handguns

Looks like it could be interesting. I would like to try one out myself. From my undersgtanding you can tur it on manually, but fro a usage standpoint it is not feasible to use a side mounted power button. I would much prefer some form of pressure button on the front strap.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

From what I've read, the Viridian has an option where you can either put a special button you buy from Viridian on the side of the holster you have or buy a holster that's got it built in. Then you can set up your light to either come on automatically when it's drawn, or to require manual activation.

I was thinking the same as Taurahe about the advantage of a pressure switch like CT laser has, but I got a caution from a shooting instructor. One reason you keep your finger out of the trigger guard until you are ready to shoot is that under stress, tensing up the grip fingers, such as the middle finger you activate the pressure switch with, can also cause the trigger finger to contract. The caution is that if you are trying to activate the light just before you shoot, you might fire prematurely. So his advice is to have a system where the activation of the light is a completely different motion than pulling the trigger. You could just train yourself to never ungrip the CT switch, but he felt that keeping a laser or a light on all the time could make you a better target in the dark. His carry gun has a light, but with a manual switch that falls under his (safe position) extended trigger finger.

Each to one's own. I guess it depends on how you train. Just for me, I have been shooting for almost 50 years and only had one ND, which was about 40 years ago. It was pointed downrange while the range was hot, so no harm done. The possibility of an ND still gives me the willies, though.
    BigShrek likes this.

Looks like a nice light, but wonder how bright it is.
    I never bought into "a mounted light will give your position away" nonsense. Shoot-outs in real life are over within 6 seconds.
    Retired State Trooper (40 long years) 8 years State Range Instructor - BS Degree- Justice, MS Degree- Criminology
    All forms of Gun Control are Unconstitutional / Illegal and beyond the scope of the US. Supreme Court.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one"- Luke 22:36

I like it

Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by breakingcontact View Post

Viridian light.

I see they have an auto on "feature" when using their holster. Anyone know if you can just use this like a normal weapon light? By that i mean controlling the light manually.
    Yes you can use it as a normal weapon light but the switch on that model is recessed so you got to give it a good push, my wife has a shield with that very light and i do make holsters with the auto on feature, how it works is your turn on your laser to the setting you want to use then holster the gun ( the holster turns the laser off when holsterd and back on when unholsterd). you can get the glue on ecr unit from viridian but i use my own ecr activation unit that is built into the holster, ive seen to many of the glue on units come off.

btw i hate making the ecr holsters lol

Sponsor
    Oh and on that model the activation button is on the left side unless they have changed it in the last 4 months.

Quote Originally Posted by patri0t View Post
    Looks like a nice light, but wonder how bright it is.
    I never bought into "a mounted light will give your position away" nonsense. Shoot-outs in real life are over within 6 seconds.
    Makes sense. Tell me though, do you like the idea of a light on your gun and if so, one with a manual switch or some sort of auto-activation, and why?

I have lights on all of my guns but the Shield. I suppose I need to study how this thing activates though. Im used to Surefire or Streamlight weapon lights.

I plan on getting one. I have lights on almost all of my guns (pistols, ARs and shotguns). I wouldn't have a SD gun without a light. The viridian light for the shield is 140 lumens, which is pretty darn bright. I plan on putting it on the strobe, auto on, position. I think a strobe is a GREAT defensive aid in that it will temporarily blind and disorient your attacker, giving you a second or two advantage. In an outside, close quarters, SD situation, your attacker already knows where you are, so I don't see any disadvantage to the auto on setup. If something were to happen at home, or in my car, I'd also have one of my glocks (you know what they say…"one is none and two is one), both of which have a TLR, so I can control when/if, I want to turn on the light. My shield is my CCW, so I don't know why anyone WOULDN'T want the strobe to automatically come on. I just wish they offered a laser/light combo.
    Pistols: Glock 21SF, Glock 30SF, Colt 1911 GCT (all .45ACP),
    Revolvers: Ruger SP 101 (.357MAG/.38SP), Judge (.410G/.45LC)

Long guns: Daniel Defense AR-15's (M4V4 and M4V5), Mossberg Shotguns (400 and 500, both 12G), Ruger (.22;LR)

Since I'm not fond of pointing a loaded weapon at things I may not want to shoot none of my weapons have a light. I use the hand held ones held in the off hand.

Quote Originally Posted by denclaste View Post
    Since I'm not fond of pointing a loaded weapon at things I may not want to shoot none of my weapons have a light. I use the hand held ones held in the off hand.
    I would never point a loaded weapon at someone I wouldn't want to shoot. You may have others living in your home or animals that could make noises at night. I do not. Also, when it comes to being assaulted, you need every advantage you can get.
    Last edited by dnilson; August 16th, 2014 at 02:22 PM.
    Pistols: Glock 21SF, Glock 30SF, Colt 1911 GCT (all .45ACP),
    Revolvers: Ruger SP 101 (.357MAG/.38SP), Judge (.410G/.45LC)

Long guns: Daniel Defense AR-15's (M4V4 and M4V5), Mossberg Shotguns (400 and 500, both 12G), Ruger (.22;LR)

Thumbs up

I like the CrimsonTrace Lightguard model. I have heard that they are plans on making them for the S&W Shield and Springfield Armory XDS.God Bless

Lightguard Tactical Light for Springfield XDM and XD | Official Crimson Trace

Quote Originally Posted by denclaste View Post
    Thats your choice. You are also implying that you have to point a weapon directly at someone to illuminate them with a weapon light. Thats false.

the ECR feature is just a magnet strategically placed in the holster. It turns off the light when the magnet gets close to a certain point on the light. On the C5L, its on the bottom.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links