Kimber Pepper Blaster II Review

This is a discussion on Kimber Pepper Blaster II Review within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have carried the Pepper Blaster series since Kimber first introduced the original Pepper Blaster in 2006. I have tested several of these and they ...

Like Tree8Likes
  • 4 Post By Brent2006
  • 1 Post By Brent2006
  • 1 Post By Bad Bob
  • 1 Post By jmf552
  • 1 Post By Brent2006

Thread: Kimber Pepper Blaster II Review

I have carried the Pepper Blaster series since Kimber first introduced the original Pepper Blaster in 2006. I have tested several of these and they perform exactly as advertised. To test the product I drew the Pepper Blaster II from my coat pocket and without careful aiming I fired both blasts. The unit produced a huge shotgun impact pattern that completely covered the target in a sticky red OC gel. The formula had the consistency of syrup and it fired exactly where I was aiming. I also left the unit on the dash of my truck on a 100+ degree day next to a traditional aerosol pepper spray in a nylon bag. The aerosol unit exploded in the nylon bag. The Pepper Blaster did not leak or explode. To test cold weather exposure I placed the Pepper Blaster II and an aerosol canister in the bottom of a deep freezer for 24 hours. I immediately pulled both the Pepper Blaster and aerosol unit out and fired them. The aerosol unit had suffered such a drop in pressure that the liquid leaked down the front of the unit and it completely failed to spray. When I fired the Pepper Blaster II I noticed the gel did seem to be thicker and not spread as wide. However, I was impressed that the unit functioned flawlessly and shot the red OC gel all the way across our yard and over our chain length fence to a distance of at least 20 feet. The unit was also tested in a 10 MPH cross wind and the product was able to deliver the full payload directly on target with no drifting.

Based on my testing I have found that the Pepper Blaster series eliminates the shortcomings of traditional aerosol sprays that leak, lose pressure, fail to fire in cold, explode or leak in high temps and blow back on the user. The product fires a high volume high velocity blast of OC gel that the attacker can't doge or block. There are no cases to unsnap, buttons to turn or flip tops to fumble around with. You simply point the unit and pull the trigger. The white safety tab conveniently moves out of the way with the approach of the trigger finger. The unit stays flat in a pocket and there are multiple carrying options available. The OC solution is extremely potent with 10% OC of 4 Million SHU and 2.4% Major Capsaicinoids. Because the Pepper Blaster II is not an aerosol it doesn't need a bunch of solvents, propellants or emulsifiers to keep the product in suspension in the canister. The more carriers you mix with the OC the more you deviate from the inflammatory properties of the OC. The only ingredient blended with the Pepper Blaster OC formula is a fast acting benzyl alcohol formula. This means the Pepper Blaster is exceptionally hot. It is effective on both animals and humans.

If the disadvantages of traditional aerosols have kept you from carrying pepper spray, I highly recommend you look at the Kimber Pepper Blaster II. This product is far superior in performance and effectiveness. The unit is completely reliable in all weather conditions and it hits at 112 MPH. The Pepper Blaster II should be a part of everyones EDC! Carry it in your hand when in any potentially dangerous situation. I prefer to carry a less lethal option with me when I am carrying my firearm. It bridges the gap between soft empty hands and lethal force.

pepper blaster front.jpg

Thanks for the writeup. It is an interesting product.

I don't know much about pepper spray, but I read a study that analyzed how police use pepper spray. Although the officers had been instructed to spray from a distance of 4–6 feet, the distance ended up being less than 3 feet in 74% of the incidents and less than 2 feet in 53% of the incidents. How does the Kimber Pepper Blaster handle up-close use? If the attacker is already at arm's length, will it be hard to deliver a shot to the face? (I presume it won't be effective elsewhere?)

Quote Originally Posted by Vuva3rae View Post
    Thanks for the writeup. It is an interesting product.

I don't know much about pepper spray, but I read a study that analyzed how police use pepper spray. Although the officers had been instructed to spray from a distance of 4–6 feet, the distance ended up being less than 3 feet in 74% of the incidents and less than 2 feet in 53% of the incidents. How does the Kimber Pepper Blaster handle up-close use? If the attacker is already at arm's length, will it be hard to deliver a shot to the face? (I presume it won't be effective elsewhere?)
    I have read the same. I wonder if this would also be true for consumers? My Pepper Blaster says to keep a safety distance of at least 2 feet from the nozzle to the assailants eye to avoid injury. I am not sure I would remember to do this when being assaulted by someone. I know at 2 feet the nozzle spread is about 8x8 inches. It will cover the face up close but you don't get as large of an impact pattern that close.

There are testimonials starting to come in about the PB2 being used in self defense on both humans and animals. The reviews I have read have been very positive.

For aerosol sprays I recommend a 2 ounce or larger can of Fox Labs, Sabre Red or Defense Technology OC spray. Those seem to be the top brands used by LE but I noticed a lot of agencies are adding the JPX Jet Protector which is made by the same Swiss manufacturer of the Pepper Blaster.
    Vuva3rae likes this.

Distinguished Member
    I have 2 of the kimber pepper blaster II's. Ive not yet had to fire either of them but I have seen you tube tests of them. The instructions warn about using them with a couple feet because the speed at which the material leaves the weapon approaches 90 mph and could seriously injure eyes at that impact and range.

In one youtube the shooter fires from about 6 inches into the attackers beard (big full beard) and the attacker was not impressed. Then they repeated with the attacker coming from several feet away. Note, the attacker was about 6'6" and huge. He was blinded and in extreme pain from the blast. He went through about 3 gallons of milk and had a hose washing his face for about 20 minutes.

My takeaway, don't shoot a beard, shoot the face. And if you get them turn and start running but don't hurt yourself. You don't have to run far or fast. Stuff is really nasty. I always carry some UDAP with me along with my g 19 or 26 but for times and places where you get wanded, I carry my kimber blaster.
    Typos are for the entertainment of the reader. Don't let it go to your head

Administrator
    Good worthwhile review Brent.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Great review thanks.
    BA
    Kahr CM9, Beretta PX4 SC .40, Ruger LCP/LM, Dan Wesson .357, Beretta 21A .22, Four Aces .22, H&R .22, Marlin .22 rifle and 1946 Remington 12 gauge.

Good review. What was the aerosol you tested? I tested Cap-Stun @ -40 and it worked fine, Cap-Stun uses an alcohol carrier also, I believe it is the water based carriers that have the most trouble in the cold.
    Brent2006 likes this.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.

“Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo.”
    - H. G. Wells -

I don't like the new pistol grip design. I liked the old "phaser" style better. Easier to hold conceal and liked the clip.

Excellent review. Thanks!
    The pen may be mightier than the sword, but a .45 caliber sword on the right hip can come in pretty handy sometime.

Yeah, thanks for the review. As I said in another thread, I really don't like the sprays, even though I have been trained with them, but I am fascinated by these pepper guns. A couple of questions I have: Do you know the liquid weight held in the Kimber? I couldn't find it on their site. The reason I ask is I've seen some states limit pepper weapons by the volume they contain.

Also, there are a couple of other pepper guns out there. The Kimber looks like the best design, but has anyone had any experience with the others?
    Brent2006 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jmf552 View Post
    Yeah, thanks for the review. As I said in another thread, I really don't like the sprays, even though I have been trained with them, but I am fascinated by these pepper guns. A couple of questions I have: Do you know the liquid weight held in the Kimber? I couldn't find it on their site. The reason I ask is I've seen some states limit pepper weapons by the volume they contain.

Also, there are a couple of other pepper guns out there. The Kimber looks like the best design, but has anyone had any experience with the others?

Sorry I am just now getting back with you. Each charge holds 0.21 ounces so the liquid weight is about .5 ounces with both charges. That is well below any states size restriction including NJ which has a 3/4 oz restriction.
    mano3 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Bob View Post
    Good review. What was the aerosol you tested? I tested Cap-Stun @ -40 and it worked fine, Cap-Stun uses an alcohol carrier also, I believe it is the water based carriers that have the most trouble in the cold.
    It was Sabre Red jogger model. It is water based stream. That may have been the problem.

Unless I'm mistaken, these are like a derringer...you only get two shots. That's a significant disadvantage. I'd rather have a spray where I can control how much I use, and which allows for more than two shots.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Distinguished Member Array Once's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    Unless I'm mistaken, these are like a derringer...you only get two shots. That's a significant disadvantage. I'd rather have a spray where I can control how much I use, and which allows for more than two shots.
    Two per blaster or one each?
    I agree i would want at least 4 blasts per unit and too bad for the BG I want that stuff going right in its eyes

Links