Gunvault SV500- Review begins post 45

This is a discussion on Gunvault SV500- Review begins post 45 within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just wondering if anybody is using one or has interest in them; I got one on the way....

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree73Likes

Thread: Gunvault SV500- Review begins post 45

Administrator

Just wondering if anybody is using one or has interest in them; I got one on the way.
    Last edited by SIXTO; September 5th, 2014 at 01:07 PM.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    They look very nice as your weapon grip is positioned just right for a draw .
    Member of the NRA
    {A}RMS discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property...Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them
    1775 Thomas Paine
    Not afraid to live & Not afraid to die .

Nope. I now believe in simplex locks. I do have an electronic lock as my first mistake in safes, but I use it as a backup only. Not sure why you would seek advice AFTER ordering. The time to do that is BEFORE you order. Sorry if I busted a bubble.
    "The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." Alexander Hamilton

Distinguished Life Member NRA
    2AF
    Maryland Shall Issue
    Handgunlaw.us Donor

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by spclopr8tr View Post
    Nope. I now believe in simplex locks. I do have an electronic lock as my first mistake in safes, but I use it as a backup only. Not sure why you would seek advice AFTER ordering. The time to do that is BEFORE you order. Sorry if I busted a bubble.
    Where did I ask for advice?
    maxwell97 and Butterdog like this.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Looks handy, but:

1. I don't think a 1911 is going to fit in there very well

2. 18 gauge steel doesn't inspire a lot of confidence.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Just wondering if anybody is using one or has interest in them; I got one on the way.
    You asked if anyone is using them or had an interest in them. I didn't think this was a rhetorical question. I realize now you only wanted people to answer that would reinforce your decision. I don't. My bad. If you don't want to hear the answer, don't ask the question.
    "The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." Alexander Hamilton

2AF
    Maryland Shall Issue
    Handgunlaw.us Donor

Distinguished Member Array DingBat's Avatar
    I have zero input, but have been looking at same or similar, so review upon receipt of yours would be greatly appreciated!!!

18 ga does sound flimsy, that's like the case on a dvd player - I can bend that with my hands. but in my case it would be more for keeping out children then a determined ex-con....
    Beans, Bullets, and Bandages. The only thing better than being ready is not having to use it!

Administrator
    You asked if anyone is using them or had an interest in them. I didn't think this was a rhetorical question. I realize now you only wanted people to answer that would reinforce your decision. I don't. My bad. If you don't want to hear the answer, don't ask the question.
    I didn't ask for an opinion. I asked if anyone had interest... maybe somebody would like to see a review or in depth detail on the product.

What I didn't ask for is somebody to act like an ass then dig a deeper hole when they get theirs handed to them. I suggest you move along, not having any interest and all...
    "Just blame Sixto"

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by buckeye .45 View Post
    Looks handy, but:

1. I don't think a 1911 is going to fit in there very well

2. 18 gauge steel doesn't inspire a lot of confidence.
    Yes, a 1911 fits just fine.
    18 gauge isnt exactly robust, but the purpose is to keep little hands out and thats about it.

Quote Originally Posted by DingBat View Post
    I have zero input, but have been looking at same or similar, so review upon receipt of yours would be greatly appreciated!!!

18 ga does sound flimsy, that's like the case on a dvd player - I can bend that with my hands. but in my case it would be more for keeping out children then a determined ex-con....
    Exactly...
    OD* likes this.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Sorry. As Steve Martin once said, "Well EXCUSE me". As my wife reminds me, I am married. I'm not allowed to have an opinion. I hope everyone who responds reinforces the decision to buy an electronic lock safe. Everyone needs reinforcement they made the correct decision. Let us all know how that works out after the EMP. I am moving my a$$ along as suggested.

2AF
    Maryland Shall Issue
    Handgunlaw.us Donor

I'm also interested in one to keep the gun away from the kid. Please post your review.

We use one of the larger GunVaults to keep the guns out of the hands of the kids. That is their purpose - they are not designed to stop a determined thief with tools and the time to use them.

Ours has failed several times, but has always been replaced by them for free, including the sizable shipping charge. They used to use a wire to pull the lock open, which would eventually fray and snap - now they use a bar latch mechanism that seems more robust. Time will tell.

If the electronics fail, you can still open it with the backup key - so no worries about EMP.

For the money, Sixto, I would go with one of the larger units. We can fit a Glock, two revolvers, and three LCPs in ours.
    WHEC724 likes this.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Administrator
    Sorry. As Steve Martin once said, "Well EXCUSE me". As my wife reminds me, I am married. I'm not allowed to have an opinion. I hope everyone who responds reinforces the decision to buy an electronic lock safe. Everyone needs reinforcement they made the correct decision. Let us all know how that works out after the EMP. I am moving my a$$ along as suggested.
    Well now, how would I do that? I dont think DC.com will be up and running in the event of an EMP.
    I see you are fairly new here, but surely you dont think old SIXTO is a one trick pony do you? You really think I'd be down and out if I could not access one pistol? Hardly. As Buckeye pointed out, its 18ga steel. So if I really wanted to get the gun out so I can trade it for a bag of rice after a EMP, I certainly could. Either that, since the lock mechanism is inside the steel box, isn't it its own faraday cage? I can probably lock up the backup key inside the box then.

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post

For the money, Sixto, I would go with one of the larger units. We can fit a Glock, two revolvers, and three LCPs in ours.
    I have three large gun safes already. This one has the specific purpose of securing my dedicated HD pistol from the two year old child we've dubbed "The monster"

I do have one of their larger two shelf units too, I forgot the model number. I use it to secure my duty and CCW rotation. My issue is that cannot be placed discretely within reach the way the bedroom is setup and my furniture. Hence, me giving this a whirl. I might like it, I might not. There is only one way to find out.
    10thmtn, welder516, OD* and 1 others like this.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I hope you do a review.

but I guess I do have a bit more to offer.

SPCOPR8TR - don't mess with SIXTO, that was pointless. even I read that as you bein a butt and I have a pretty good humor about things.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    FWIW - the AUG 2014 issue of Guns & Ammo has a *decent* review of this and two others. the Sentry safe QAP1BE and the Hornady Rapid Safe. I have the mag in my hands now

gun vault is most expensive. it's the quietest opening. best gun presentation. up to 120 different fingerprints. light comes on upon opening. low battery indicator. only negative is no room for spare mag or flashlight.

hornady - 16 ga steel. middle price. no fingerprint, but RFID bracelet or fob like the key clicker on your car. also has four button input. good gun presentation with room for mag and light. has a plug in the wall cord. loudest and slowest opening.

sentry safe- only stores 2 fingerprints. optional 4 key pad. low battery indicator. gun just lays flat, basically an open box.

all 3 of these have old school key lock, spclopr8tr, so when the EMP hits one can still get their gun out, of course, since you could likely get into any of these in under 10 minutes with a screwdriver or decent pocket knife, if we get EMP'd and zombies start beating the door down....

these were jus super short summaries of the major points of this article.

I was leaning towards the hornady, mostly for the plug-in-the-wall feature. but the gunvault definitely looks most attractive with it's presentation. my kids are also getting darned close to the age where keeping it on a high shelf won't fly for much longer.

I will be very interested in your findings on this SIXTO, I was looking to buy one of these in the coming weeks.
    SIXTO likes this.
    Beans, Bullets, and Bandages. The only thing better than being ready is not having to use it!

...two year old named "The Monster" hehe,

I have identical twin boys, both about 2-1/2 right now. not only are they devious, destructive, and curious; they have an ability to cooperate that defies logic. how did he climb that? oh, he stood on his brothers head. how did they get that out of the latched cabinet? oh, one pried the door open while the other reached in....
    SIXTO, 10thmtn, Stoveman and 1 others like this.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links