Ft. Knox, V-Line & AMSEC Pistol Safes. Please share your experiences.

This is a discussion on Ft. Knox, V-Line & AMSEC Pistol Safes. Please share your experiences. within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am in the market for my first pistol safe. I have done some research on the web and determined that I do not want ...

Thread: Ft. Knox, V-Line & AMSEC Pistol Safes. Please share your experiences.

I am in the market for my first pistol safe.

I have done some research on the web and determined that I do not want to deal with any battery powered or finger print reading locking mechanisms. Instead I would like to go with a mechanical button/keypad lock such as the Simplex brand used in some pistol safes.

I would like to hear from those of you who own a Fort Knox, V-Line or AMSEC pistol box/safe. These safes all seem to share a 5 button style locking mechanism. Are you happy with your purchase? Any issues with your safe?

Also, are there any other brands that are similar to the three I listed above?

My goals/needs:
    • I currently have two handguns, a S&W J-Frame and a Glock 19. I am in the market for one additional small conceal carry pistol which will most likely be a Kahr PM9 or an M&P Shield
    • No kids to worry about.
    • I do have a cleaning lady and fairly frequent house guests who might be in my home alone
    • Primary concern is to ensure the handguns are not used against me should I happen to walk in on a burglar
    • Secondary concern is to make it harder ( I realize nothing is full proof) for a burglar to steal them
    • Quick access is a must for my personal/home defense
    • I have a sturdy shelf in my master bedroom closet and I would like something small enough to mount to it. I will reinforce shelf with additional bolts drilled into the studs. I know this won't stop a determined thief from stealing the whole safe but I at least want to slow them down a bit and make them really work for it.
    • No need for anything that would be floor mounted.

I would appreciate hearing from those of you who own a handgun safe with a mechanical push button locking mechanism. Particularly the three brands mentioned above. I am also open to learning about other brands that have similar features.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

I have a V-Line Top Draw with simplex. No complaints. It's heavy as an anchor and the mechanism work great. I suggest setting the combination for one you can FEEL in the dark.

Since moved into retirement community an gave safe an most guns to sons keep my rotation in a biovault on nightstand an monster underbed safe holds 870 an several handguns

I have 3 V-Lines:

Top Drawer
    Hide-Away
    Rifle Case

all set with the same combination. Zero complaints, zero issues and I highly recommend them. As for size it depends on your pistols , in the Hide-Away I can get a full sized and a sub-compact, but not 2 fullsize. the Top Drawer just about fits a full size with spare mag and light, or 2 full size pistols.

Chuck
    homo homini lupus est

Distinguished Member
    I have a Fort Knox with zero complaints. Built like a tank and can be purchased at discount. Gunsafesamerica is the former A. G. English safes. I have no affiliation with this company. Just a satisfied customer.

Fort Knox Pistol Box - FREE SHIPPING - Gun Safes America
    "The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." Alexander Hamilton

Distinguished Life Member NRA
    2AF - CCRKBA
    Maryland Shall Issue
    Handgunlaw.us Donor

My son has on and a FT Knox very large safe a and he loves them and I am going to try to get one. the company he works for uses them also.

V line. No complaints. Bolted to my nightstand.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk
    "Lord, help me to be the person my dog thinks I am."

Depending on who you are trying to keep out, I'd suggest googling "brute force simplex locks" or some such. The locks have a limited number of combinations and can be compromised by trying all combos without an excessive amount of time elapsing. Relevant for a teen, less so for a 2 year old.

None of these small safes will stop a semi-determined burglar, so the lock is irrelevant from a theft perspective.

Not bashing your choice - just wanted to make sure you were aware of the weaknesses so you could make an informed decision depending on your specific situation.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Quote Originally Posted by cbthedookie View Post
    The locks have a limited number of combinations and can be compromised by trying all combos without an excessive amount of time elapsing. Relevant for a teen, less so for a 2 year old.

None of these small safes will stop a semi-determined burglar, so the lock is irrelevant from a theft perspective.

Not bashing your choice - just wanted to make sure you were aware of the weaknesses so you could make an informed decision depending on your specific situation.
    Not all the Simplex style safes operate the same. This is a brand new option and only available on these safes.

FAS1 In&Out Optional Supplemental Lock Key Positions/Functions.

It will let you "In" with it's backup function and it will keep you "Out" even if you know the pushbutton combination with it's deadbolt function. The backup key function can be easily diabled by changing the the lock stop washer from the 180 to 90 degree one that is included.

In&Out Key Positions Collage.jpg

Do an 'outside the box' analysis of your firearm storage needs.

1. Do you have kids?
    2. Do you often take longer than weekend vacations?
    3. Do you live in an area where burglaries are common?
    4. Do people know you have firearms, a safe, collections, etc.?
    5. Do you live in an isolated area where you may have to either defend or guard against opportunistic BGs?

IMO, having firearms spread out, out of sight but easily accessible trumps the need to have them 'locked up' if there is no prevailing problem (such as 1 & 2 above). A modest lock box hidden from plain sight trumps a gigantic safe that you need to have brought in by crane so that everyone knows you have it.

It's better to get an off-site option (store with parents when out of town), use a not easily identifiable locked or out of sight storage than a big box which screams 'Grab and Go, I'm full of Guns'.

At the bedside, I like the idea of having a quick open and presentation option, but leave it open at night. Only close it to deny the firearm to a BG or intruder if you have to leave the bedroom. Then open it again for quick access without fumbling with locks or battery operated buttons.

I think it's a huge waste of money and a badly analyzed situation to buy a big gun safe for thousands of dollars and never really need it.
    ===

In your car what is going to attract break ins quicker. An easily recognized gun safe (which most kids could open with a large screwdriver and cut with small bolt cutters) or a plain 'used looking' toolbox with a normal lock bolted to the floor?
    HTH

Quote Originally Posted by spclopr8tr View Post
    I have a Fort Knox with zero complaints. Built like a tank and can be purchased at discount. Gunsafesamerica is the former A. G. English safes. I have no affiliation with this company. Just a satisfied customer.

Fort Knox Pistol Box - FREE SHIPPING - Gun Safes America
    I also have the Fort Knox pistol box and couldn't agree more! I store four large to compact handguns with mags. Whatever you get just make sure you bolt it down.
    "If there is trouble, I stay here to help you. For your father -- for your father."

Quote Originally Posted by FAS1 View Post
    Not all the Simplex style safes operate the same. This is a brand new option and only available on these safes.

FAS1 In&Out Optional Supplemental Lock Key Positions/Functions.

It will let you "In" with it's backup function and it will keep you "Out" even if you know the pushbutton combination with it's deadbolt function. The backup key function can be easily diabled by changing the the lock stop washer from the 180 to 90 degree one that is included.

In&Out Key Positions Collage.jpg
    Since I don't like backup keys as a rule of thumb (another access point) I looked hard to find a decent lock for this application. Costs a little more, but has some good features that I couldn't find anywhere else. It's not your typical backup lock used on handgun safes.

In&OutLockFeatures.jpg

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links