Yet another 5.11 question! (Summary: What is 5.11?) - Page 2

Yet another 5.11 question! (Summary: What is 5.11?)

This is a discussion on Yet another 5.11 question! (Summary: What is 5.11?) within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Man I like the looks of there vests. Is the lighter vest any cooler in the heat than the 511 vest?...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Yet another 5.11 question! (Summary: What is 5.11?)

Man I like the looks of there vests. Is the lighter vest any cooler in the heat than the 511 vest?

Which 5.11 vest?

Member Array airbornerangerboogie's Avatar

5.11 Shooters vest

I bought a 5.11 CCW Vest at Quantico Tactical that looks like one of those carry everything vest. nice because it has a hidden compartment on either side for a pistol and spare mags.
    “Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today.” James Dean
    Phil (NRA Member and Vietnam Vet)
    ------------- My CCW ----------------
    No Guns Here Boss
    I gave them to the naked Pigmy's in New Guinea

I have many pairs of the 5.11 shorts...they are all I wear...unless it snows (Central Florida)...
    I have the vest but do now load it down with tons of 'crap'...just use it for a cover vest.

OMO

Stay armed...stay safe!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

The Academy shorts look perfect for the summer months! I can't stand shorts that are down around my knee caps, feel more like clam-diggers.

Just out of curiosity, do these waist & inseam sizes on the 5.11's run a little bigger or shorter compared to popular blue jean manufacterers? Or do you guys find they match up pretty comparatively?
    Last edited by Fastball; February 17th, 2007 at 06:43 PM. Reason: Answered my own question.
    You never see a motorcycle parked ouside a psychiatrist's office!

5.11 pants were made for the rock climbing world but back in the day, the FBI bought some and were wearing them, a firearms instructor named Ken Hackathorn and a few other well known instructors got a pair during a range session in Florida. They started wearing them and wa la, they hit the scene with civilians. Royal Robins still makes a complete line of outdoor clothing but the 5.11 Tactical was born really out of accident. Now they are the number one selliing line of "shoot me first clothing" or called by many instructors as "school clothes" becasue one, everyone with a gun and a knife wears them so shoot them first, 2nd, everyone buys them to wear to their favorite gun school so school clothes.

Woolrich Elite and 5.11 will serve you well. The 5.11 pants run about $39.00 and Woolrich Elite being new on the scene about $49.00. Pay special attention to shipping cost when ordering. Some places charge 7 or 8 dollars to ship them and that is way out in left field.

The best place I have found to buy the 5.11 is LA Police Gear they usually have some good specials going, free hats, belts and other stuff if you buy two pair. As for Wollrich Elite I buy from a guy at ebay called South Western Tactical Supply, good people and shipping is reasonable.
    Ken Forbus Owner of FIREARMZ
    FIREARMZ FORUM

Some places charge 7 or 8 dollars to ship them and that is way out in left field.
    That's normal about average for UPS shipping charges and that depends on what part of the Country you live in. UPS just upped their shipping charges last month. The only way you're going to get better shipping than that is by USMAIL and that's slow.

I just did an estimate for me to ship a 1lb package to Atlanta Georgia on UPS http://wwwapps.ups.com/calTimeCost?loc=en_US

and it comes up at $8.57 for UPS Ground.
    Last edited by Jamie Young; February 18th, 2007 at 10:41 AM.

U.S.P.S. for 1 pound, 1 to 3 day shipping U.S. Wide $4.05.

Or USPS Parcal POST 1 to 4 days $3.95.
    FIREARMZ FORUM

Uhhh, free shipping currently @ LA Police Gear if you buy 2 pair of Tac pants. That includes free shipping back to them as well, if there is a need for a return.

I believe they are also offering free knee pads as well, but I only briefly glanced at that, so don't take my word for it.

Just out of curiosity, do these waist & inseam sizes on the 5.11's run a little bigger or shorter compared to popular blue jean manufacterers? Or do you guys find they match up pretty comparatively?
    You never see a motorcycle parked ouside a psychiatrist's office!

Quote Originally Posted by Fastball View Post
    ...Just out of curiosity, do these waist & inseam sizes on the 5.11's run a little bigger or shorter compared to popular blue jean manufacterers? Or do you guys find they match up pretty comparatively?
    The jeans, at least, run a little large, but they shrink, so after the first wash you're back to 'normal' sizes.

-PB
    Hero's aren't born, they're cornered - According to Jim

I find the 5.11's and Wollrich to be a tad bit longer in the inseam, the waist was about the same.
    FIREARMZ FORUM

Anyone ever do a SigTac/Woolrich/5.11 comparison?

I've been wearing 5.11 for years, i tried Woolrich and dont like them when the F.B.I designed the 5.11 series they got it right and i wont look back or cheat on them ever again.
    When the dust settles only the prepared will survive.

NRA LIFE MEMBER

remember the only thing common about common sense is that its not that common

Shoot low boys their riding Shetland ponies.

Just ordered one of the Woolrich Elite Light Weight Vests. I hope it is light enough for summer use here in the midwest.

I cashed in on the discount offered to Combat Carry members by Jamie Young at RogueElite.net. Great deal and I will let you all know how it works out when it gets here.
    Last edited by freetrapper; February 26th, 2007 at 06:35 PM.

i tried Woolrich and dont like them when the F.B.I designed the 5.11 series they got it right and i wont look back or cheat on them ever again.
    Just out of curiosity, which Woolrich products did you try and what did you not like about them?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links