Yet another 5.11 question! (Summary: What is 5.11?)

This is a discussion on Yet another 5.11 question! (Summary: What is 5.11?) within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; What exactly is 5.11? Is it a brand name or is it a standard? Do many companies make 5.11 clothing? Can anyone point me to ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Yet another 5.11 question! (Summary: What is 5.11?)

What exactly is 5.11? Is it a brand name or is it a standard? Do many companies make 5.11 clothing?

Can anyone point me to more info about this?

It is brand name line of clothing geared towards firearms carry / tactical use. Various distributors carry it.

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    5.11 Tactical clothing was the company that stepped forward years ago to produce a pair of pants that a specific federal law enforcement agency had designed. Since that day, many other items have been made by 5.11 that deal with tactical clothing. The origional 5.11 tactical pants have been upgraded, but mostly with unseen upgrades, such as inner knee pad compartments, theigh pocket inner pockets to hold magazines.

Woolrich has also coppied the design and on eBay you can find a cheap knockoff brand GPS Wear Tactical Pants which are good but not the same quality as 5.11 and Woolrich.

If you ever wear a pair of true 5.11s you quickly find that they are incredibally comfortable (ok so spelling wasnt required to get my job) and make great casual pants as well as hunting pants (I wear green ones for hunting).

However, due to the popularity amongst leo types, the pants have become red flags for gun wearing people much like wearing a photographers vest or fanny pack.
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

Lead Moderator
    My understanding is 5.11 , was part of royal robbins clothing. 5.11 being a grade for rock climbing. A few years ago 5.11 became a seperate clothing line , specific to LE. I have a few pair of pants that have RR tags on em, not sure if the new clothing does or not.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

This is a link to the manufacture's website ...
    http://www.511tactical.com/
    NRA Patron Member
    CCWs Glock 29, 27, Bersa 380

Administrator
    WoolRich pants are nice also...the Ebay knock~offs for $19.99 + Shipping are not worth the $19.99 + Shipping. Buy 5.11 or WoolRich
    Just one mans opinion.

IMO Woolrich makes a WAY better product. I had 5.11 pants for about 6 mo n ths before they started to fall apart. I ordered a pair of Woolrich, then immediatley ordered 5 more pair because it was obviously a superior product. I have worn a pair of Woolrich elite Pants for every day now since June 06, and have had ZERO problems.
    "There are more things on this planet with fangs, claws, poisons, and scales, than there are things that are warm, fuzzy, and full of love. It's just a simple fact." - James Keating

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    My understanding is 5.11 , was part of royal robbins clothing. 5.11 being a grade for rock climbing. A few years ago 5.11 became a seperate clothing line , specific to LE. I have a few pair of pants that have RR tags on em, not sure if the new clothing does or not.
    ....that's what I've heard too. I have two pairs of Royal Robbins pants and a couple 5.11's. The 5.11's don't have the RR tags.

My RR's are going on 4 years old and haven't popped a stitch yet despite dozens of washes.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

ayan.

I'm a Woolrich Elite dealer and I play favorites to CC.com members. If you're interested in any of the items at www.rogueelite.net drop me a PM.

5.11 makes some good stuff, and I own some 5.11 stuff, but Woolrich has absolutely picked up on some of 5.11s QC issues. I hear this from LEO and Military all the time.

checking out your site right now altho since i've gotten into 5.11 pants it's hard to imagine to wear something else.
    "Only hits count."
    Jeff Cooper

Guns don't kill people. Chuck Norris kills People.

http://www.511tactical.com/index.asp...ID=CSIDaboutus

They were designed for rock climbing. Someone in LE started wearing them and they got popular. They have changed a bit in the LE market but are still offered elsewhere in their original design. Royal Robins formed and named their "tactical" line of clothing 5.11 Tactical to differentiate it from Royal Robbins rock climing gear.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Rock climbers liked them because they had really deep back pockets and stuff didn't fall out of them.

I really like the fact you can put knee pad inserts in them and my Woolrich's hold 20-30rd AK, Mini 14 or AR mags in the 10 and 2 o'clock pockets.

The only real complaint i've gotten about the Woolrich vs. 5.11 pants is they ARE heavier than 5.11. A little too much for me to wear in the summertime.

yea, the 5.11 pants are perfect for the Houston Heat & Humidity. IMHO...the more you use them the better they get. I've got a pair that's 2 years old and it's a lot lighter than a new pair.
    "Only hits count."
    Jeff Cooper

Guns don't kill people. Chuck Norris kills People.

FYI -Woolrich also has a lightweight fabric to make them a bit more user friendly in the summer months.
    I have and use both the 5.11 and the woolrich and love them both. Just like jeans....the more you wear them and wash them, the more comfortable they get!

http://www.rogueelite.net/shop/item....d=221&catid=26

Those are the lightweight version. I'll be wearing them this summer, they just came out in the last couple months.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links