Looking for a nice GPS Unit

This is a discussion on Looking for a nice GPS Unit within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Anybody experts on these? I want one good for driving directions AND hiking or general use also. Looking for recommendations so I have a place ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a nice GPS Unit

Anybody experts on these? I want one good for driving directions AND hiking or general use also. Looking for recommendations so I have a place to start. Thanks!!!!
    Nothing Wrong With Shooting as Long as the Right People Get Shot.
    Clint Eastwood, Magnum Force, 1973

VIP Member
    Garmin 60cs or 60csx with car mount.

I use the 60 Csx but it has some features I don't need. I wanted the big storage for maps and waypoints that it can handle.
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

I've have been using Delorme's topo software for years. They now offer a hand held. Their topo is one of the best..

http://www.delorme.com/
    "Sic Semper Tyrannis"

Senior Moderator
    Magellan eXplorist 500 here - nice display, uses SD cards, can do turn-by-turn directions with the optional software.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

VIP Member
    Hiking and road directions can be mutually exclusive in GPS. I have numerous GPS (retired military aviator, active federal land manager, and general techno lover) and have owned several models and makes over the last 16 years. I currently own 5 GPS units for the field (2 Garmin GPS 12 - no longer made & 3 Garmin 72 - I keep different sets of waypoints and routes in each), 1 for the car and mapping programs for 3 States that I hunt in. Below is what I use daily, both in my private and professional life.

I have a Garmin i3 in my truck for driving in the city. You can get the preloaded version (i5) from Costco for $250.00 For the field I use the Garmin 72 ($150). Simple and has what it needs to get you there. As a compliment to and as a all around great tool I also have Terrain Navigator ($100) (maptech.com) on my computer for my State. It has all the topo maps for the state and you can download or upload waypoints to the Garmin 72 with a $30 cable interface AND you can hook the Garmin to a laptop and use it as a moving map display.

I have been using a GPS when they were first available to the military (early 90's) and for personal use ever since. I don't leave home without them. You will read about all of the short comings of the system. It is simply that folks are trying to do too much specialty work with an unit that is for general (all things to everybody) use. Specialize and you will enjoy your experience much more.

Oh.......a GPS is no substitute for a hard copy map and a compass in the field. A GPS is a great tool to locate where you are on a map once you learn how to read a map and use UTM coordinates.

For in a car, the specialized tools work the best.
    Last edited by Chorizo; February 4th, 2007 at 12:29 PM.
    21 years and 21 days, United States Marine Corps.

The line of hard men willing to rain violence on our enemies so you can sleep warmly and safely in your bed at night continues. That's what we do. Semper fi.

NRA Life Member since 1972

Thanks All, from all the research I have done so far, looks like the Garmin 60CXS is the best all round unit if you only want to own 1 GPS. Looks like to me you load different mamory cards for what you want to do with it.

Distinguished Member Array lowflyer's Avatar
    Good choice.
    Last edited by lowflyer; February 4th, 2007 at 12:49 PM. Reason: Lagged a little bit.
    Whatever doesn't kill you postpones the inevitable.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hivoltage View Post
    Thanks All, from all the research I have done so far, looks like the Garmin 60CXS is the best all round unit if you only want to own 1 GPS. Looks like to me you load different mamory cards for what you want to do with it.
    Actually you can load all the maps on one card and switch them via the interface. That is the other reason I bought mine. I put a 1 GB card in it and have all the maps I could ever want on the one card. Plus I use 100s to 1000s of waypoints traveling as I do.

Of course you can get the cards and swap them out. It doesn't take long. In reality it probably is faster to swap the card than to switch the maps in the interface and reset the unit. Hmmm. I'm a geek, what can I say.

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott View Post
    Garmin 60cs or 60csx with car mount.
    Scott, Did you mean the 60Cx? The CS is the old pre-SIRF chip.

I'd second Scott's pick. I use a 60CSx and have used it for driving, hiking, and Geocaching.

The "x" version uses an newer, more sensitive chip set which means less loss of signal, especially in dense woods..... Important if you are going to go hiking. It also uses a memory card fro loading maps. The cards currently run up to 2 GB, but there is a limit of loading only 2025 map segments.

If you happen to need one that floats there is a 76 C(S)x that is almost identical to the 60 series except for case shape and control layout.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rstickle View Post
    Scott, Did you mean the 60Cx? The CS is the old pre-SIRF chip.

I'd second Scott's pick. I use a 60CSx and have used it for driving, hiking, and Geocaching.

The "x" version uses an newer, more sensitive chip set which means less loss of signal, especially in dense woods..... Important if you are going to go hiking. It also uses a memory card fro loading maps. The cards currently run up to 2 GB, but there is a limit of loading only 2025 map segments.

If you happen to need one that floats there is a 76 C(S)x that is almost identical to the 60 series except for case shape and control layout.
    Yep, that's it. I have the 60 CSx for the better chip set and because I'm a geek and wanted the compass. I even had reception inside my hotel room away from the windows. Absolutely surprised me, I though it was a false reading so I started walking around and it was updating. WAAS is so cool sometimes.

Lead Moderator
    I'm taking mine to CA with me tomorrow, want to see if I can do a cache or two, and maybe a 10K walk Thursday afternoon when my conference ends.
    Last edited by rstickle; February 11th, 2007 at 04:08 PM.
    Rick

OK....What is all this cache stuff I have been reading about? Is it a game or what? How do you know where they are,...... whatever they are? Sounds kind of fun!!!!

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Hivoltage View Post
    OK....What is all this cache stuff I have been reading about? Is it a game or what? How do you know where they are,...... whatever they are? Sounds kind of fun!!!!
    For all the information go to http://www.geocaching.com/ It is fun and interesting!
    Rick

Distinguished Member Array lowflyer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott View Post
    Yep, that's it. I have the 60 CSx for the better chip set and because I'm a geek and wanted the compass. I even had reception inside my hotel room away from the windows. Absolutely surprised me, I though it was a false reading so I started walking around and it was updating. WAAS is so cool sometimes.

WAAS is cool, but it is not why you were receiving a signal in your hotel. That was due to the powerful SiRF chipset.
    Whatever doesn't kill you postpones the inevitable.

I have a Garmin Map 60cx and love it. It gets much better reception than my old GPS, and that is very important when hiking or hunting under tree cover or in mountainous areas. It will give driving instructions and I was able to load a very detailed topo map into the micro SD chip port. There are many other great features. It gets a big thumbs up from me.
    "Courage is rightly esteemed the first of human qualities... because it is the quality which guarantees all others." -- Winston Churchill

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links