Gun Cleaning/Maintenance Gear for SHTF Bag

This is a discussion on Gun Cleaning/Maintenance Gear for SHTF Bag within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've decided to get serious about putting together a bug-out bag/SHTF bag, and I'm thinking about including some sort of gun cleaning gear. This may ...

Thread: Gun Cleaning/Maintenance Gear for SHTF Bag

Gun Cleaning/Maintenance Gear for SHTF Bag

I've decided to get serious about putting together a bug-out bag/SHTF bag, and I'm thinking about including some sort of gun cleaning gear. This may be a bit of overkill, since my SHTF rifle and pistol (a Robinson Armament XCR and HK USP compact) are pretty reliable guns, even when dirty (as opposed to an AR, where a cleaning kit is more of a necessity than a luxury). I doubt I'll be shooting them enough to really require cleaning. At least I hope not, if I do things will have really gone to hell in a handbasket.

So I'm looking for some recommendations for some compact, lightweight gun cleaning gear for my weapons. Right now I'm thinking a bore snake for each gun, and maybe an Ayoob dejammer. Any other ideas?

2. Remove Ads

Lead Moderator
    Otis cleaning kit or the universal mil kit. I don't think bore snakes do such a great job of cleaning bores thoroughly.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

JD
    Administrator
    I've got to go with Rocky on the OTIS kits, I have the Militray Elite kit, which basically covers everthing from .22 to .50, and I couldn't be happier, if your trying to say light, I'd jsut get the smaller kit found here:
    http://www.otisgun.com/cgistore/stor...tup=1&cart_id=

+1 on the boresnakes.
    other than that:
    toothbrush....
    can of CLP (or whatever you use)
    +/- small can of compressed air??? (don't have one in my bag due to size/weight considerations)

Distinguished Member Array USPnTX's Avatar
    I keep the Otis kit in my hunting gear and one in my range bag. They take up very little space and are very versatile. That some gun degreaser and Militec and you should be set.
    "Do not fear those who disagree with you; fear those that do and are too cowardly to admit it" - Napoleon

everyones going with Otis ...and so am i. if your looking for compact and for an AR, otis makes a great one with practically all you need and it fits and snaps into the pistol grip. you won't even need to add that to a bag.

Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    I don't think bore snakes do such a great job of cleaning bores thoroughly.
    +1 Snakes are fine for field cleaning, but I've always found plenty of crud left when I run a patch down the barrel at home.

Kits

I also use the Otis universal kit in my bag, and I have the AR grip kit. If you have the A2 stock, you can always use the military style kit in the buttstock. Try this for handguns:http://secure.armorholdings.com/klee...ialtykits.html
    What I use in my range bag and used before I got the Otis kit.
    Also many companies have sample sized packs of lubricants, etc. that they'll send you for free. IIRC, you can buy a pack of "baby wipes" with CLP or Kroil on them.

Good idea about the Dejammer. Used to have one of those and gave it away years ago. Neat tool. Probably going to grab another one, I just gave away my mini Asp to another Cop-In-Need.

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    Otis through two wars and many years on the job. It's what I use and all I needed. Only thing I'd pack besides that would be a small bottle of Hopes #9 (might not need it but dang it smells nice).
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by fed_wif_a_sig View Post
    Only thing I'd pack besides that would be a small bottle of Hopes #9 (might not need it but dang it smells nice).
    Always carry some cologne , huh?
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Links