How to carry a Surefire 6P?

This is a discussion on How to carry a Surefire 6P? within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just picked up a Surefire 6P (my local gun store had one for a really good price) and I'm trying to decide how I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to carry a Surefire 6P?

How to carry a Surefire 6P?

I just picked up a Surefire 6P (my local gun store had one for a really good price) and I'm trying to decide how I want to carry it. My current flashlight (a Coast TacTorch) came with a nylon holster when I bought it, so I never gave much thought on how to carry it, I just used that (unfortunately, the 6p is just a tad to big to fit in the coast holster). So far I've been looking at the Surefire nylon holster, their plastic holster, and kydex holders from Comp-Tac and Blade-Tech. Right now I'm not exactly sold on any of them. The long flap on the nylon holster seems like it would get in the way, and all the kydex models seem to take up a lot of belt real estate (my flashlight is already competing for space with 2 mags on my left hip).

So, anyone have any recommendations on how to carry a 6P? I haven't had a chance to play around with it much, but just flipping them on in a dark room the surefire puts out a lot more light than my old TacTorch. I really want to get started carrying it, I just need to figure out how!

2. Remove Ads

Before I got my SureFire E2e with the nifty little pocket clip, I used to carry my SureFire G2 (basically a polymer 6P) in a Blackhawk CQC carrier. I had it mounted on their "Dual Rail Accessory Platform" along side a single mag pouch. AWESOME carrier! It had a recessed bottom that worked the way it is supposed to! I've tried others with a recessed bottom and they STILL turned my light on when I sat down. I actually called one company and they said...

"Just turn the tailcap of your flashlight a little bit and that will keep it from coming on."

However...THAT is not a solution to the problem! When I have my light in hand, I need illumination right effin' NOW! I do not have time to rotate a tailcap when all I need to do is depress the button the way the light was designed to do!

2 days ago, I bought a Galco M.F.P. It is a black leather paddle carrier that holds a single mag + a SureFire 6P/G2 similar to the Blackhawk. I haven't had a chance to try it out yet...sssoooo...we'll see!

No Ma'am

Blackhawk

This one is a keeper. Light, small, sturdy, recessed properly, and not much belt room needed.

http://www.order-gear.com/product-bl...&1=1205&3=6945

-Paul
    Hero's aren't born, they're cornered - According to Jim

Quote Originally Posted by PaulBk View Post
    Blackhawk

This one is a keeper. Light, small, sturdy, recessed properly, and not much belt room needed.

http://www.order-gear.com/product-bl...&1=1205&3=6945

-Paul
    Yup! That's the one I had! EXCELLENT little carrier!

VIP Member
    Don't get GED started on lights. I used to think it was a little silly to carry a light all the time as a civillian. But, after reading enough on his posts on another forum, I decided to dig through the old sea bag and pull out the G2. I was hooked. Next I was off buying the E2e. I hope he doesn't find a new favorite light, because he is pretty dang good at convincing me to buy them.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Quote Originally Posted by Echo_Four View Post
    Don't get GED started on lights. I used to think it was a little silly to carry a light all the time as a civillian. But, after reading enough on his posts on another forum, I decided to dig through the old sea bag and pull out the G2. I was hooked. Next I was off buying the E2e. I hope he doesn't find a new favorite light, because he is pretty dang good at convincing me to buy them.
    Actually...I do have my eye on this new SureFire...NAH!!!! Just kidding!

But all joking aside, a flashlight is VERY important and, IMO, a very VITAL piece of gear! I never leave the house without my SureFire E2e - day OR night! You just never know when you are going to need one in...well...just your everyday operations! And chances are - IF you are ever faced with an armed encounter, IT'S GONNA HAPPEN IN EITHER LOW LIGHT OR COMPLETE DARKNESS!!!

...are you ready?

VIP Member
    I am thanks to you. It is amazing how many times it comes in useful in ordinary situations. And learning to shoot while using them was a good excuse for more range time!
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Quote Originally Posted by Glock 'em down View Post
    But all joking aside, a flashlight is VERY important and, IMO, a very VITAL piece of gear! I never leave the house without my SureFire E2e - day OR night! You just never know when you are going to need one in...well...just your everyday operations! And chances are - IF you are ever faced with an armed encounter, IT'S GONNA HAPPEN IN EITHER LOW LIGHT OR COMPLETE DARKNESS!!!
    I couldn't agree more. I've been carrying a flashlight for a couple of months now, and it's probably my most used piece of EDC gear.

The Coast Tac Torch was a great flashlight for all that utility stuff, but for a tactical situation, I wanted something that put out a little more light. When I saw the price on the 6P at the gun shop, I had to pick it up. It definitely puts out a lot more light, but it means trading away a lot of battery life and relying on an incandescent bulb. For a situation where I know I'll need to use a flashlight for a while (camping, power outage, etc.) I'll probably go with the Tac Torch, since the batteries are cheaper and they last a lot longer. For a nighttime confrontation, the Surefire is definitely the way to go. Now that it's dark out, I've had a chance to play around with it a bit more. The amount of light that it puts out is just incredible, and it can really reach out and illuminate at a distance.

Of course, what I'd really like is a light than do both: last a long time on low power and provide high power illumination. Something like a Night-Ops Gladius or a Surefire A2. Unfortunately, they're both way out of my price range at the moment.

Distinguished Member Array dimmak's Avatar
    I need a light all the time now, eyes dont work like they used to in low light....
    "Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment" - NRA/ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.

"...be water, my friend."

1943 - 2009
    I carry my Surefire 6P in a Galco belt carrier.

http://www.lightningarms.com/images/galco/galco_flc.htm

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    If carrying the 6P (mine was purchased in 1990) it goes behind a magazine in a Rosen or Rafter S dual mag/6P combo. If carrying it by it self its in a Blade-tech belt holster (that has already been posted). I prefer my 6Z now days for work use but the one that is in my left front pant pocket is the E2. Gotta love them Surefires and for the past 17 years they been lighting up my world.
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

http://www.copsplus.com/prodnum3408.php

Thats what I use. Using 1911 single stack mags I can carry 2 of those and the flashlight comfortably.

A Lanyard...

I keep my E2e on a laynard...
    It is usually in my weakside pocket and is easily accessed by a tug of the lanyard; however, on ocassion...I wear the laynard around my neck and this makes grabbing the SureFire pretty quick too...depending upon the cover garment.

Stay armed...stay safe!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Senior Member Array MilitaryPower's Avatar
    I have a Coast Tactical V^2 with 65 lumens. I belive it puts out the same amount of light as the 6P. I am wearing right now a Fenix L2T. Constant regulated 55 lumens for almost 3 hours or 10 lumens for over 20 hours.

I think I saw a horizontal carrier for the 6P somewhere.
    Gun control can be blamed in part for allowing 9/11 to happen.
    "Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum" (Latin)- "If you want peace, prepare for war".

i bought the V70 from surefire ... i don't suggest it at all. the button recess doesn't work too well at all, and i didn't read closely enough to find out it's not a paddle design. the only upside is if you wear any black gear (sam brown belt duty gear, etc.) it will thread on there. personally, i'm still looking for a decent clip-on/paddle light holder for EDC.

good luck!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links